IGNORED

2015 GS accessories

SteveSardone

I traded my 2006 RT for a 2015 GS today. It has been awhile since I have needed to buy accessories. Any suggestions on where online to buy oem side cases and the navigator V ? Where should I ask questions about the navigator V? I have a Garmin Zumo and am wondering if the V has the same capability. Mp3 player, able to plug my intercom into it, etc.

thanks for the help

Absolutely no help with your GPS questions but I love these for longer rides.

highway pegs

http://www.advdesigns.com/pralhipebl.html

You will most likely end up searching for a seat, Sargent makes a nice one! :thumbsup:

http://www.sargentcycle.com/Seats-Accessories/World-Sport-Performance-Plus-Seat-BMW-R1200GS-R1200GSA-2013/

The OEM plastic Vario cases don't like dust, the expanding slide system jams pretty tight after exposing them to dusty roads. I'd no doubt go with the OEM adventure cases or one of the aftermarket offerings.

Pat

Hi Steve, I've got a 2005 RT that I've ridden for years now. I'm considering a new bike and thinking of switching to a GS. Please let me know your thoughts of the GS as you get used to it. I have an Aeroflow shield on my RT and one of the reasons I love my RT is the totally quiet pocket of air that I ride in. However, all that good wind protection makes the bike very hot in the heat of southern summers. Let me know your thoughts of the airflow, wind noise, and helmet buffeting on the GS as you get used to it. Thanks,

I moved from a 14 RT to 15 GSA which offers more weather protection than the GS but still not as much as the RT. The GS/GSA are extremely nimble and flexible of course. You can venture over to the advrider forum(s) to get tons of info related to the GS Boxers/accessories and occasionally items pop up in the classified section there. Trust me you'll love the wonder wheel/ NAV V, you can load songs in the mp3 format onto a micro SD card which loads in it, along with routes you build in Basecamp. The NAV V is phenomenal IMHO, Basecamp has a learning curve but the New England Riders group has some great tutorials (see link below) that you can download and study. Also globe riders review of the NAV is great along with giving insights as to it's capability. Relative to panniers, I got a deal from my dealer on the BMW ones (made by Touratech) but there are other choices out there. I just like mine since they are keyed to the bike. The Touratech and other sites will show you a LONG list of farkles.

http://www.newenglandriders.org/BaseCamp_Class.htm

http://globeriders.com/article_pages/article07_gps/article07_nav5.shtml

For BMW accessories (cases, NAV V etc.), I'd ask the dealer where you bought your bike, as many dealers will give you a discount on accessories when you buy a bike from them. Often it's 10% (that's what I got a couple of months ago when I traded my '06RT for a 2015 GSA. I bought BMW side and top cases from the dealer.

The Nav V is a very good unit and it integrates well with the GS(A)'s electronics. You can learn lots about Nav V and other Garmin M/C units at www.zumoforums.com

I believe that BMW dealers are the only place to purchase this BMW PN as a new item.

When I was looking at top boxes I priced Bumot, Givi, Global Scout. On a whim I called Jesse, they were running a sale which was significantly lower than the others. Does not hurt to call them.

Terry

The Navigator V is bluetooth output only. It does have an MP3 player just like the Zumo and it will pair to a phone.

You must either move to a full bluetooth intercom - BMW, Sena, Interphone etc. or buy a BTM02A bluetooth module if you are using an Autocom (which I am).

The Navigator V is not compatable with Mapsource route planning software - you have to use BaseCamp or Tyre.

Go to www.advrider.com get registered and look in the G spot section.That is the GS specific forum.

Tons of info!

There is also a section called "layin down tracks" which is the GPS specific forum there.

There is an equipment forum for gear,accessories,etc,but not specific to the GS.

Mickeym3 pointed you to two of the best Nav V/GPS resources.

Layin down tracks has some good tutorials on GPS/Nav use and there are some good Youtube videos.

Multiple pannier options,I chose Globescout panniers,they bolt right up to the stock GSA luggage racks and are sturdier than the factory ones,and less $$.

They have a rack and bag set for the standard GS.

If I were buying for a GS,I'd look at the Givi Outback trekker series too.

Beware,you will become addicted there!

JR356

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I located some lightly used oem cases at too good a price to turn down. I've been reading more about the Nav V at the links y'all suggested. Been a member at advrider since 2007 so I will do more reading there. I currently have an Autocom Super Pro Avi with bluetooth module so I guess it will work with the Nav V until I get a new Sena, etc. Picking up the new bike tomorrow.

thanks

As you likely know "layin down tracks" has been changed to mapping and navigation forum on ADVRider.

Very generic,kind of like the name changes soon to be in effect in Yosemite!

JR356

Any experience with the bmw or sena intercoms?

The Navigator V is bluetooth output only. It does have an MP3 player just like the Zumo and it will pair to a phone.

You must either move to a full bluetooth intercom - BMW, Sena, Interphone etc. or buy a BTM02A bluetooth module if you are using an Autocom (which I am).

The Navigator V is not compatable with Mapsource route planning software - you have to use BaseCamp or Tyre.

I have both BMW and Sena BT intercom systems. Both work really well for me wrt hooking up to the NAV V. No issues pairing my Samsung phone to the NAV and rxing/txing phone calls. the Sena will not work with the wonderwheel (volume control) but I think that was about it. My only issue with the BMW intercom system is it will not sync with other BT intercom systems like the Sena will.

Archived