IGNORED

NAV 5 & Sena 20S question for new purchaser

paRTy

Hello-

Just purchased a NAV V and 20S. Neither have arrived yet, but want to get familiar with everything. Have read many threads and there is great info everywhere.

Only question now....is the first thing that needs to be done. Should I download to the newest software before attempting anything first? Perhaps this will be obvious when I get units, but was wondering fro those that know.

Any other tips to a successful experience at this time of lifespan for the NAV5 and 20s would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I used mine for a bit before doing the software download,to make sure everything was functional.

You will be fine choosing either method.

You have lifetime updates with the Nav 5,think I did the update a week or two after purchase,just to get established with Garmin.

Updates come out about 4 times a year,next should be mid spring.

Enjoy your new toys.

JR356

I generally update the firmware for each device, as sometimes it corrects known issues. If you choose to do that, the next thing I would do is update the maps on the Nav V (the latest maps were released by Garmin just a couple of days ago). Using Garmin Express (free app utility for your PC/Mac), you can download the latest maps to the Nav V and to your computer (if you also want them available there too).

After downloading Garmin Express from Garmin's website and connecting the Nav to your computer with the supplied cable, Garmin Express will let you know if updated firmware is available for the Nav, and whether there are updated maps available for download.

Thanks for the tips...appreciate it.

Been reading up on the many different ways to pair this beast and some of the issues that folks have experienced. Sena and GPS should be here Tuesday. Have always put off getting headsets and GPS, but am planning some extended rides this spring and summer. Looking forward to this new experience.

Ahhh... a question that may help many.

First, download and install Garmin Express. This handy software will simplify your entire Nav V life in many ways. Note... this is easy, user friendly and the best way to manage map and device updates. Go ahead and do it now...

Next, Download Garmin Basecamp. This is the map and routing program. It is a little "clunky" but it is a needed tool. (Good Luck)

Memorize the phone number for Garmin Tech Support. 1-800-800-1020. Closed weekends. If you do need to call them... after they answer the call ask for "OEM Support". The regular helpers are good but there is a dedicated team just for Nav V support.

When your hardware arrives... mainly the Sena... charge the battery.

Determine how you plan to use the Sena/Garmin/Nav V and your new bike... meaning are you going to communicate with a passenger? Are you going to use Bike-to-Bike communications? Or are you just planning to hear audible navigation prompts for the GPS/Bike? Are you going to listen to entertainment... such as Satellite Radio, a USB containing music, or put the music on the Nav V? etc.

Once you do that step... read the manual thoroughly... and select the pairing method to do the job you want.

Call Sena Tech support. Keep the number handy... you will probably need it. (this is not criticism, but advice). The number of pairing methods and options is such that "breaking the code" is part of the fun. Once you actually achieve Sena to Nav V and Sena to Bike pairing (note... Nav V is separate from pairing Sena to the Bike.)

If you have a smart phone... learn how to use the Bluetooth connection to the Nav V.

Read the user manual again. it will make a lot more sense over time.

Strong Suggestion... take your time... this can be a complex and possibly frustrating process. Be really careful to not have a long complex route/ride planned. If you are facing a deadline... like maybe a ride tomorrow... you may end up feeling frustrated.

The learning curve will feel steep but if you are facing an immediate need you might end up thinking you have made a mistake....

Get on Youtube and find the several videos on how to do these pairings.

This process can be fun or frustrating. Typically the frustrating part comes first. Do not get discouraged. The hardware is good, it WILL do exactly what you want you just have to learn the process.

hopz....fantastic info and advice - thanks!

One question off the bat. How is pairing the Sena to Nav V different from pairing to bike itself? Are they not one in the same? Apologies in advance if this is a no-brainer I should know.

Thanks,

That is a real fair question.

I wish I knew the answer... but as far as I do know... the Navigation prompts from the Nav V will go directly to the Sena... not from Nav V, to the Bike, then to the Sena.

... and if you receive, or initiate... a phone call, which goes through the Nav V... it goes straight to the Sena... and this does not have to go to/from the bike... not only that, there is an App for your Smart phone to connect to "Garmin Smart Link". This will give you access to some potentially useful information... like storm warnings, traffic problems, and the ability to track/be tracked on a trip.

Some other thoughts I forgot to put in the post above.

- If/When you attempt to make a pairing and it fails... for various reasons, but usually some operator error, you should stop and clear/reset the Sena. (see below for a link to a video on this)

- Once you achieve the pairings the system will not need to be re-paired. It will happen automatically when you power-up the Sena, power up the bike, and then pair-up the Phone to the Nav.

I do not think there is one, and only one sequence to this process. What I do is what I described above.

FWIW I downloaded my iTunes song collection to a 16GB Jump Drive and plugged it into the receptacle in the right hand box.

I enjoyed the free trial of Sirius Radio but did not renew after the trial period. Since I live near several cities the various radio stations get the job done.

You might find this video on Youtube helpful...

what else?

hopz....thanks again for the great info. Once my units arrive on Tuesday, there may be a follow up question - or two - since you asked "what else?"

Appreciate it.

the youtube video above really works. Save the link because you will need it more than once. I took the process in the video, transcribed to paper, and carry it in my tank bag. Sometimes it will work for a month or so and then it goes wonky and have to redo...

good idea. thx.

the youtube video above really works. Save the link because you will need it more than once. I took the process in the video, transcribed to paper, and carry it in my tank bag. Sometimes it will work for a month or so and then it goes wonky and have to redo...

Received the Sena 20s headsets and Nav5 GPS. What a great set-up. Thanks to all for the valuable tips. Have never had headsets before and am looking forward to using them. Soon as the snow melts I'm going riding.

And you're right, the video that RKA produced about pairing is great. I actually had one small issue and spoke directly with Richard from RKA. He was more than willing to go the extra mile. He even went out to his garage and went through the process with me. A real stand up guy.

I'll have to try again on the youtube videos when I am down with the flu or something and have nothing else to do. The whole process is way too time intensive for my taste, despite the fact that I am fairly tech savvy. I am resigned to the fact that I just use the Sena to communicate with my iPhone and use that for everything. My Nav is just to look at, and ALL of the RT's electronic gizmos are decorations (since even on the '14 they don't come close to matching iPhone capabilities). And occasionally even with this simple setup, I am startled off my seat when a call comes in and the Sena has decided that I am deaf (ring volume roughly 20x what I was already listening to). Hopefully some day it all will be seamless like many of today's electronics. For now I think most would agree that this stuff is in the dark ages. If you have down time in the winter up north, it's something good to pass the time with. Here in Florida, I would rather ride.

Peter, FWIW, my experience was much different than yours and it didn't take me long at all to get everything working. After I set up 2 Sena units in two different helmets, the whole process of linking my headset(s) to:

1. The bikes radio

2. Phone to Nav V

3. Sena to Nav V

...took about 20 minutes, maybe less. I can hear radio from bike. Phone goes through Nav. I see who's calling on the Nav screen. Volume into my headset is perfect. Recieve Nav instructions if I desire and can play a thumb drive off AUX to hear my iTunes music as another option.

Pretty much everything is there and was fairly easy to do.

Archived