IGNORED

Question: Best method to store "stuff" when riding two up?

Gregg

I convinced my better half to ride with me. Now I've got twice as much gear to store when we stop for a hike or a bite to eat.

Any tips about safely locking up and storing:

2 riding jackets

2 helmets w/ sena's

2 of everything, plus some of her additional gear (yeah! i know i'm going to take some heat but she does not necessarily travel "light" when the purse, glasses, lipstick, brush, lip balm, etc...) is included. :D

So...besides an expensive BMW Top Case...what creative ways do you travel and even overnight with 2-up amount of gear?

Buddy of mine travels 2 up on his Road King. The rule they have is each person gets a saddlebag to fill with whatever. But that's it. Make it count. They also travel with the top box pretty much empty, and lock up their jackets and helmets in it when away from the bike.

When they travel, it's hotels and restaurants the whole way. We enjoy camping, but I'm not sure that 2 up camping is practical for more than about a weekend. There is a lot of ultralight camping gear out there though, popular with the "through-hiker" types (those guys that hike the whole Appalachian trail or PCT in one season).

As for locking things up, we usually keep a couple 6' cables that we run through sleeves and chin bars and the like. Something like THIS. It's not high security, but it keeps casual pilfering to a minimum.

Another thing we've tried, but not used a lot, is the PackSafe. They have a variety of products, so just google packsafe, and see if anything floats your boat.

My other theory is to just minimize the expensive junk I carry. If it gets pilfered, well, at least I didn't lose my fancy camera (or whatever). Good luck, and enjoy yourselves.

My wife and I do about as Eric suggests above. We each get a saddlebag, I'm nice and take the bulk of the toiletries in mine (and I take the smaller side to begin with), and we keep the topbox lightly packed - it gets extra layers, the stuff we might need today, etc. We also use the cables with padlocks to lock up the jackets/pants/helmets. Usually. Sometimes we leave everything unlocked depending on where we are - never had a problem. The actual comm units from the Senas come off and go in one of the lockable storage places (topbox, saddlebag, glovebox) or just go into a pocket. We also have small tank bag that holds wallets, sunglasses, camera, water - and that's about it. It often comes with us - like a purse :) - or it gets locked in the topbox if left on the bike.

If you don't want to get a topbox (we use a Givi - roomier and less expensive than BMW), get some sort of duffle dry bag to put on the back - you can use a pacsafe like Eric linked to if you feel the need to secure it to the bike against theft. If camping, we put small cylindrical bags on top of each saddle bag (lashed down to bungee buddies) - sleeping bags on one side and sleeping pads on the other. (We use REALLY small bags and ultralight pads.) We have a very compact tarp-based tent that goes in the topbox, with custom poles that fold small enough to go in there as well, though usually I stuff them in with the sleeping pads, or lash them UNDER the rack for the topbox.

We do NOT carry cooking equipment for camping.

...now, all that said, we now have a kid to take along with us, and have given up and added a sidecar...and might be adding a trailer for the dogs. Sheesh - might as well buy a car :)

Get a GIVI topcase,nice quality for a lot less $$ than the BMW.

I have a Trekker 46,there are GIVI cases up to 56 liters.

Give the SO one case liner bag and say that here is your luggage limit besides riding gear(just like carry on limits for airlines).

Another option is a UnoGo trailer,if you really need a lot of space.

JR356

In our case we each get a sidecase, and half of our River Road luggage case (sitting on top of my luggage rack). I also have a Kuryakyn cylinder bag bungee corded to the top of the RR case. In that is our rain gear, windshirts (summer time) or liner jackets (winter time), extra gloves, neckwarmers, and occasionally snacks.

For security needs, locking carabiners for our helmets and a lockable cord wrapped around the luggage. Our jackets come with us.

We don't camp. My wife's idea of "roughing it" is a hotel without a free breakfast. :)

regards,

The first time my wife and I toured many years ago, I handed her the Cee Bailey's pannier liner from my K1200LT and said "take whatever you want, but it all has to fit in here". :grin:

The first time my wife and I toured many years ago, I handed her the Cee Bailey's pannier liner from my K1200LT and said "take whatever you want, but it all has to fit in here". :grin:

Not enough for two weeks for either me or her. We each get a pannier and half the topbox. Jackets get locked to the bike.

It seems we're always traveling in early summer or fall, so we carry some cold weather gear with us. Electric vests, fleece jackets, insulated gloves, merino wool base layers. We put those in a Givi top case along with some lightweight shoes and some engine oil. Other than that we split the side cases. We pack pretty light, choosing to do some laundry every 3 days and wash socks and undies in the sink. If we are going to go somewhere and stay a while, we ship some extra clothes we might need. I can't see how one could camp 2-up unless one pulls a trailer. I also tie a duffle bag to the top rack of the Givi case for overflow. I also use a tank bag for camera, sunscreen, pencil, paper and maps. I think we get close to maxing out the luggage carrying capability of our RT's when traveling 2-up. But, we can stay on the road indefinitely.

Buddy of mine travels 2 up on his Road King. The rule they have is each person gets a saddlebag to fill with whatever. But that's it. Make it count. They also travel with the top box pretty much empty, and lock up their jackets and helmets in it when away from the bike.

When they travel, it's hotels and restaurants the whole way. We enjoy camping, but I'm not sure that 2 up camping is practical for more than about a weekend. There is a lot of ultralight camping gear out there though, popular with the "through-hiker" types

(those guys that hike the whole Appalachian trail or PCT in one season).

As for locking things up, we usually keep a couple 6' cables that we run through sleeves and chin bars and the like. Something like THIS. It's not high security, but it keeps casual pilfering to a minimum.

Another thing we've tried, but not used a lot, is the PackSafe. They have a variety of products, so just google packsafe, and see if anything floats your boat.

My other theory is to just minimize the expensive junk I carry. If it gets pilfered, well, at least I didn't lose my fancy camera (or whatever). Good luck, and enjoy yourselves.

Thanks! I'll check out the PackSafe gear. Sounds interesting!

My wife and I do about as Eric suggests above. We each get a saddlebag, I'm nice and take the bulk of the toiletries in mine (and I take the smaller side to begin with), and we keep the topbox lightly packed - it gets extra layers, the stuff we might need today, etc. We also use the cables with padlocks to lock up the jackets/pants/helmets. Usually. Sometimes we leave everything unlocked depending on where we are - never had a problem. The actual comm units from the Senas come off and go in one of the lockable storage places (topbox, saddlebag, glovebox) or just go into a pocket. We also have small tank bag that holds wallets, sunglasses, camera, water - and that's about it. It often comes with us - like a purse :) - or it gets locked in the topbox if left on the bike.

If you don't want to get a topbox (we use a Givi - roomier and less expensive than BMW), get some sort of duffle dry bag to put on the back - you can use a pacsafe like Eric linked to if you feel the need to secure it to the bike against theft. If camping, we put small cylindrical bags on top of each saddle bag (lashed down to bungee buddies) - sleeping bags on one side and sleeping pads on the other. (We use REALLY small bags and ultralight pads.) We have a very compact tarp-based tent that goes in the topbox, with custom poles that fold small enough to go in there as well, though usually I stuff them in with the sleeping pads, or lash them UNDER the rack for the topbox.

...now, all that said, we now have a kid to take along with us, and have given up and added a sidecar...and might be adding a trailer for the dogs. Sheesh - might as well buy a car :)

LOL....sounds like a mini-van may be in your near future. Thanks for the tips though! Gave me some good ideas

LOL....sounds like a mini-van may be in your near future. Thanks for the tips though! Gave me some good ideas

Amusingly, my wife won't "let" me get a minivan - otherwise we'd surely have one (ok, she'd let me get one, she just wouldn't be seen in it...).

The wifey has some of those aerostich tank panniers. Used them for a cross country trip. Also functions as a bit of a fairing to keep wind off your legs a bit. two thumbs up. Probably better for naked, or near naked bikes tho.

For a cheaper version, I've had people suggest a pair of dog panniers. But I've never tried it. Maybe get a pair that fits a St. Bernard.

Or you could always get one of these to guard your goods...

dog-basket-recessed-light-portal.jpg

Two up.

Start w/the right gear to pack.

No bulky stuff like jeans.

We use dark convertible pants. (zip off leggs so you get dress pants/shorts/swimming suit and they pack in 1/4 the weight size of jeans and dry quickly)

One dressy shirt (like an Ex-Officio) that rolls small and looks

nice enough to get you in anywhere that soesn't require a jacket.

Coouple pair microfiber undergarmets (wash in shower/sink dry overnight) same with couple pair socks.

With a couple microfiber/silk shirts you can layer.

All above takes up way less than half a pannier.

She does the same and can fit on the road for weeks in about the size of a loaf of bread.

We wear mc boots and can use them in many non riding situations, but, we also carry hiking boots and she also brings another pair

of modern walking shoes that have low profile and I take a pair of ;heavy sandals.

Toiletries of course in small bags etc.

Wehave a GIVI 52L topcase andsometimes add a Helen2Wheels mesh bag to its luggage rack for wet stuff or ez access to rain gear (not always though)

Some practice with packing and eliminating duplicates stuff

(you don't need those extra XXXX things)

We can travel indefinitely, you put some stuff on for evening wear after showering so it doesn't get dirty/smelly and might go a day or three w/out washing.

We carry multiple pairs of riding gloves for the weather conditions (often 8-10 pair counting silk glove liners

Basically, eliminate the too much and tooo big and too heavy.

Camping.

We use a Upack. It has a yellow rain cover that keeps stuff dry and adds conspicuity

I add a piece of wood to the rear rack w/I bolts. Use Variety of soft ties Rokstraps to attach it to the bike using rear (wood wide enough to support bottom of Upack) rack/under seat/frame and it is secure/stable and provides a seating area w/armrests and back rest for pillion.

I'll leave stuff out but in general we can carry;

3 person tent (have done our huge tent 13 pounds 6 foot high etc)

w/fly ties stakes and groundcloth (this stores in garbage bag to keep it separate when wet)

2 XL sleeping bags

2 silk sleeping bag liners

5 camping pillows that stuff (newer inflatable stuff out there)

2 microfleece comforters 2 microfleece towels

Either 2 air mattresses or one large queen size w/pump (when we camp and use our regular bags these fit flat in the GIVI)

LED lantern

Stove w/white gas (can run on gasoline) we store it in a small padded lunch case to keep it separate and protected, collapsible grill that sets up over it to hold cooking pan

Mess kits/flatware camp soap etc

2 sling chirs for sitting around the campfire, fire starting kit

Food

Often about 1/2 case water bottles that

2 gallon collapsible water jug (for water/washing/putting out fire)

Clothesline to hang wet stuff on

etc

We have also added an extension cord for camping areas w/power and in hot weather add a small fan

We use compression bags/caps and separate potential wet items w/waterproof bags

There's more but that's the gist

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Same as everyone else. But, I always take at least one bungee net for gear liners or Gerbings. I seem to overpack for road problems and that goes into the topbox along with extras.

The real killer is shoe space. Fill shoes with socks or underwear....assuming the shoes smell nice.

Wife has to use a hairdryer.....I make sure there is one where we're going. I only need a buffing wheel. :thumbsup:

like to see a picture of that GT loaded with that stuff.

+1 I think I'd rather take the car, with all that stuff...

....says the guy who doesn't even HAVE a car.... :)

The wifey has some of those aerostich tank panniers. Used them for a cross country trip. Also functions as a bit of a fairing to keep wind off your legs a bit. two thumbs up. Probably better for naked, or near naked bikes tho.

For a cheaper version, I've had people suggest a pair of dog panniers. But I've never tried it. Maybe get a pair that fits a St. Bernard.

Or you could always get one of these to guard your goods...

dog-basket-recessed-light-portal.jpg

:rofl:

Two up.

Start w/the right gear to pack.

No bulky stuff like jeans.

We use dark convertible pants. (zip off leggs so you get dress pants/shorts/swimming suit and they pack in 1/4 the weight size of jeans and dry quickly)

One dressy shirt (like an Ex-Officio) that rolls small and looks

nice enough to get you in anywhere that soesn't require a jacket.

Coouple pair microfiber undergarmets (wash in shower/sink dry overnight) same with couple pair socks.

With a couple microfiber/silk shirts you can layer.

All above takes up way less than half a pannier.

She does the same and can fit on the road for weeks in about the size of a loaf of bread.

We wear mc boots and can use them in many non riding situations, but, we also carry hiking boots and she also brings another pair

of modern walking shoes that have low profile and I take a pair of ;heavy sandals.

Toiletries of course in small bags etc.

Wehave a GIVI 52L topcase andsometimes add a Helen2Wheels mesh bag to its luggage rack for wet stuff or ez access to rain gear (not always though)

Some practice with packing and eliminating duplicates stuff

(you don't need those extra XXXX things)

We can travel indefinitely, you put some stuff on for evening wear after showering so it doesn't get dirty/smelly and might go a day or three w/out washing.

We carry multiple pairs of riding gloves for the weather conditions (often 8-10 pair counting silk glove liners

Basically, eliminate the too much and tooo big and too heavy.

Camping.

We use a Upack. It has a yellow rain cover that keeps stuff dry and adds conspicuity

I add a piece of wood to the rear rack w/I bolts. Use Variety of soft ties Rokstraps to attach it to the bike using rear (wood wide enough to support bottom of Upack) rack/under seat/frame and it is secure/stable and provides a seating area w/armrests and back rest for pillion.

I'll leave stuff out but in general we can carry;

3 person tent (have done our huge tent 13 pounds 6 foot high etc)

w/fly ties stakes and groundcloth (this stores in garbage bag to keep it separate when wet)

2 XL sleeping bags

2 silk sleeping bag liners

5 camping pillows that stuff (newer inflatable stuff out there)

2 microfleece comforters 2 microfleece towels

Either 2 air mattresses or one large queen size w/pump (when we camp and use our regular bags these fit flat in the GIVI)

LED lantern

Stove w/white gas (can run on gasoline) we store it in a small padded lunch case to keep it separate and protected, collapsible grill that sets up over it to hold cooking pan

Mess kits/flatware camp soap etc

2 sling chirs for sitting around the campfire, fire starting kit

Food

Often about 1/2 case water bottles that

2 gallon collapsible water jug (for water/washing/putting out fire)

Clothesline to hang wet stuff on

etc

We have also added an extension cord for camping areas w/power and in hot weather add a small fan

We use compression bags/caps and separate potential wet items w/waterproof bags

There's more but that's the gist

Wow! Amazing! :thumbsup:

DSC01209.jpg

Everything, plus more, except Beth, who took the picture.

:lurk:

No big deal if you use the right stuff, and stuff it the right way.

:grin:

like to see a picture of that GT loaded with that stuff.

+1 I think I'd rather take the car, with all that stuff...

....says the guy who doesn't even HAVE a car.... :)

technically, we have a car. It's in Yakima. Tim's description is clearly misleading. Doesn't look like an excessive pile of stuff at all!

That does look very well contained - thanks for posting the pic tallman.

Our setup looks similar except the u bag is replaced by a givi trunk and bags just a bit smaller in diameter than the "legs" of the u bag on the top of each sidecase.

The way I use the straps heps support the legs and keep most weight suspended and not resting on the saddlebags.

I do put some mesh drawer liner (sold as a paint saver by some)

under the legs to protect the saddlebags.

elk,

Not misleading.

And I'd have to really think to remember some of the stuff I forgot to list.

Camera, bug spray, TP, various items I'm licensed to carry,

corkscrew, magnetic game board (chess/backgammon), first aid kit, water purification, kebab skewers, condiments/spices,

and...

2;up packing ? No problem. When wifey wants to take an extended moto trip, my packing solution is this.

1... I screwed some towel bars to her helmet and told her they were roof racks. Feel free to load them up.

2...Gave her a military sized backpack. Feel free to load it up.

3...Two waterproof duffle bags bungeed to her thighs. Feel free to load them up.

Follow this formula and I can pretty much guarantee your 2 up packing problems will disappear.

Everything, plus more, except Beth, who took the picture.

:lurk:

No big deal if you use the right stuff, and stuff it the right way.

Am sure Beth is quite comfortable back there between the bags. Just

wondering, who gets on and off the bike first?? :S

Archived