IGNORED

Are Olympia jackets waterproof these days?

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

I have an Olympia AST jacket, purchased in 2008:

2011-05-157-L.jpg

It was supposed to be waterproof, but I don't recall whether it ever actually was. The arms seem to be the biggest problem: while the ventilation is fantastic in warm weather, those same vents seem to readily admit rainwater. With a Gerbing jacket I can be warm despite being wet, but I'd really rather be warm and dry, so it's time to replace the jacket.

What's the deal with Olympia's current jackets? do they do a good job of keeping water out, or should I look elsewhere?

Hi Joe. Great question. I have been looking for a new jacket also. Have never been dry with the so call water proof jacks. So far from what I have heard, the Klim jackets are the best as they are made from Goretex. Not just lined with it. Price is the big issue though. Looking forward to seeing the responses to your question.

The liner on my couple year old Oly X moto is waterproof.

The new Motoquest(updated X moto)appears nice because the liner now constructed to be worn under or over the jacket.

Can't help you with any of the other Oly jackets,but have read variying reports on the waterproofness of the earlier AST jackets.

JR356

Wish I could help, but it has been awhile.

Regardless, enough rain, for long enough, usually soaks/seeps somewhere.

Why we put rain gear over our "waterproof" textile jackets.

I dislike the liner approach as that leaves you with a soaked outer jacket.

Good luck.

Good question.

Olympia Ranger Jacket

Anything other than this in the Olympia range is going to have some sort of waterproof liner system. If you're ok with a liner system you'll find plenty of options. If you travel a lot, and bag space is important, dropping the extra coin on Klim apparel can help save bag space and be waterproof in that you won't have to carry the waterproof and thermal liners. Or a rain suit.

He makes a good case for the Klim gear. If you check out his YouTube channel he has another video when he bought the gear that makes another good case for the Klim apparel.

Archived