IGNORED

E15 just appeared here

Michaelr11

Maybe not new info for some, but the Sheetz gas station near me just converted their pumps. They now offer gas from three different hoses. Three grades of E10 gas from one hose, E15 from another and "Flex Fuel" from the 3rd hose. Flex fuel was selling for $1.09.9 today.

Markings on the hoses was pretty clear but still another opportunity to fill up with the wrong type of fuel if you're not careful.

"Flex Fuel" means E85, right? I wonder why they'd need a dedicated hose for that? What about diesel? Did that gas station eliminate diesel so they could offer E85?

Premium unleaded 93 octane was $1.769 at my nearest Costco here today. Pretty nice.

"Flex Fuel" means E85, right? I wonder why they'd need a dedicated hose for that?

Correct. It sits in its own tank and not mixed with usual regular, mid, or premium (usually all E10).

"Flex Fuel" means E85, right? I wonder why they'd need a dedicated hose for that? What about diesel? Did that gas station eliminate diesel so they could offer E85?

Premium unleaded 93 octane was $1.769 at my nearest Costco here today. Pretty nice.

Yes, "up to" E85 is Flex Fuel. The station has one island that pumps diesel and E10 gas, no E15 or E85.

I still go to another station with the bikes for E0 93 premium. $2.599 per gallon yesterday.

Yes, "up to" E85 is Flex Fuel. The station has one island that pumps diesel and E10 gas, no E15 or E85.

I still go to another station with the bikes for E0 93 premium. $2.599 per gallon yesterday.

Let's be careful here and not confuse octane like 87/91/93 and E85. E85 contains about 85% ethanol. It's octane has been reported over 105 but it doesn't correlate to the octanes on the regular/mid/premium (E10 fuel) pumps.

Let's be careful here and not confuse octane like 87/91/93 and E85. E85 contains about 85% ethanol. It's octane has been reported over 105 but it doesn't correlate to the octanes on the regular/mid/premium (E10 fuel) pumps.

Exactly! While Ethanol has a very high octane rating, the "87,89,93,ect." on the fuel pump is the actual anti-knock rating of the fuel offered. Which means they start with a lower octane gasoline product, then add the 10-15% ethanol to raise it to "87" or whatever.

E85 is simply a mix of 85% ethanol to 15% gasoline. Can be used in Flex Fuel vehicle. My experiments with it showed it cost more to use than regular fuels even though it was a lot less expensive. You use a lot more of it per mile than gasoline.

On the other hand, if you are running a supercharged or turbocharged hot rod, this fuel is ideal. Most build the fuel systems from scratch to handle the corrosion issues, head gaskets and other engine components are made for it. You get 105 or so octane race fuel for $1.09 here now! You cannot switch to regular gas, but these cars are not for highway trips!

I just thankful that there are two stations near me that sell gasoline without Ethanol. Granted it is mid-grade (89) so not useful for the machines that require 91 or above but at least my lawn equipment will not die sooner than they should.

Morning greiffster

What am I missing here?

Octane rating is the measurement & rating of a fuel's ability to resist knock compared to a precisely-known-value test fuel. It has nothing to do with what additive or additives are used to achieve that.

What am I missing here?

DR,

I figured you'd bust me out on that.

Lots of folks see E85 and assume it is 85 octane so not quite as good as 87 regular. I think most people assume higher octane equals better performance and fuel mileage.

So, yes, I worded that poorly. The octane does correlate it just doesn't have anything to do with fuel mileage or energy.

That crap does not belong in our bikes. Assume everyone knows that.

What, I mix the E85 with diesel in my new GSA? Now you tell me. :grin:

Exactly! While Ethanol has a very high octane rating, the "87,89,93,ect." on the fuel pump is the actual anti-knock rating of the fuel offered. Which means they start with a lower octane gasoline product, then add the 10-15% ethanol to raise it to "87" or whatever.

E85 is simply a mix of 85% ethanol to 15% gasoline. Can be used in Flex Fuel vehicle. My experiments with it showed it cost more to use than regular fuels even though it was a lot less expensive. You use a lot more of it per mile than gasoline.

On the other hand, if you are running a supercharged or turbocharged hot rod, this fuel is ideal. Most build the fuel systems from scratch to handle the corrosion issues, head gaskets and other engine components are made for it. You get 105 or so octane race fuel for $1.09 here now! You cannot switch to regular gas, but these cars are not for highway trips!

As reported, it yields greatly reduced fuel efficiency. In my 2007 Silverado, mileage is about 11mpg, versus 19-20 on regular fuel. At a 50% hit in mileage while only a 30% reduction in price, it doesn't work economically.

And the word on the street (in the Motor City anyway) is that despite a Flex Fuel configured engine, not to use E85 as it will still corrode major components of the fuel system.

RPG

Archived