IGNORED

Reflective Wheel tape. anyone have experience with this stuff?

fourteenfour

A short section might appear as a circle while in motion, but will be a much dimmer circle since the un-taped portion will not reflect. Also, while at rest, the reflective portion could be hidden by the fork leg, fender, etc.

I've used reflective rim tape on the sport bikes I have.

Although, I haven't used this particular brand.

I would DEFINETLY get this for a black bike, or if you ride a lot at night.

In my experience, this type of stuff isn't all that great. I used to race bicycles, and we tried everything under the sun. The problem with rim reflectors is they dull out quickly with road grime (and brake dust if you're on a scoot). The problem with reflectors in general, of course, is that they get drowned out quickly if there are lights on board. Not all bicycles have lights, so a reflector can help, but your scoot certainly has 'em.

Think about how you view peds, bicycles, motorcycles and even other cars at night. The main visibility problem is front and rear. A reflector like this is pretty much only going to show up as a flash as you pass cross traffic stopped at an intersection. If a car's gonna hit you there, someone's already run a light, or failed to see you coming.

As stated above, wheels tend also to hide under fenders, saddle bags and all the other what-not.

I think I'd spend my hard earned greenbacks on a pair of driving lights. Personally I prefer yellow. I think the contrasting colors attract the eye. Several years ago I got a pair at wally-world for less than these stickers you're considering.

Motorcycle Consumer News Vol 46, No.3 March 2015 on the back cover. Product is Progrip Reflective Wheel Tape. Each kit contains six meters of 7mm-wide tape and comes with an application tool. MCN gave it a highly recommended. They provided some installation recommendations based on their experience. Price (in Mar2015) was $15.50. MCN procured the product from a company called Whitehorse. The article at the time said the outfit was offering MCN readers a 10% discount.

I have it, just plain 3-M reflective tape. I cut it into triangles and put it on the "Spokes" and it works great. You don't need much to get a lot of impact.

Archived