IGNORED

Motoport Kevlar Stretch or Mesh

ESokoloff

My one piece 13 year, 150k Stitch is getting tired & is in need of a tune-up.

I could revamp it & have a suit that gives me a wet crotch in the rain & is un bearable in temperatures above 90° or I could bite the bullet & spring for a Motoport.

I like the convenience of a one piece so I'm thinking I should stay with that design.

I'm looking for input from those that have had both a Stitch & Motoport stretch.

Is the Stretch comfortable in triple digit heat as claimed?

At this time, I'm commuting and in Summer time could conceivably have a 40° difference between commute legs and would rather not have to deal with a liner if the Stretch will serve my purposes (comfortable above 100°).

Also considering their racing gloves as I need a Summer glove as well.

I've heard they are a bit bulky but are claimed to breath better then perforated leather.

I will also need to install paint protection as I understand that Kevlar does not play nice with finishes.

Any recommendations on a 1150 rt?

Any other thoughts & comments welcomed.

I have the motoport stretch pants. They are fantastic. They flow plenty of air in the summer but on the RT you are behind the fairing so you have to stick your legs in the air once in a while. The stretch material does not sand your paint.

I have a mesh waist cut jacket and a stretch Marathon jacket. The stretch is more comfortable to wear, and more versatile in changing weather. The mesh is a bit cooler in hot temperatures, and quite stiff and scratchy, even when worn in. I added vents on the chest of the Marathon in addition to the ones on the arms and back which help some. The stretch material does breathe pretty well, but over 100 I am sweating especially in stop and go traffic. I always pick the Marathon stretch now. Note I ride an RT, live near San Francisco where it doesn't get that hot, and use a cooling vest when riding on tours.

I have the stretch over pants and like them as well. No scratching the tank, and again much more comfortable than the mesh. My legs don't get as uncomfortable in hot weather as my torso. My only gripe with the over pants is the knee armor is positioned too far to the outside of my knees and the only way to get it right is to twist the pants in and cinch down the Velcro at the ankle to hold it in place.

I will also need to install paint protection as I understand that Kevlar does not play nice with finishes.

Any recommendations on a 1150 rt?

Any other thoughts & comments welcomed.

They'll send you fabric swatches on request. The MESH is rough, the stretch is quite soft!

I'm curious. When you say the stretch "breathes", are you saying you feel air passing across your skin? Or just that you don't get that hot?

I'll fall in on what ltljohn said. I don't have the full suit but bought Motoport mesh pants with BMW compensation money from The Great RT Recall of '14. I'm really, really heat sensitive and they are the first motorcycle pants I could tolerate above 90 degrees, and that includes mesh ones from other makers.

85 degrees is my upper limit on my Roadcrafter on my current RT. (I used to go to 90 on my R12R).

I'd go full Motoport but just can't make my peace with the ugliness of their jackets so my hot weather kit is the Motoport pants and Klim Induction jacket (which is no looker but to me, not quite as ugly).

First let me say that their gloves are one of the biggest disappointments in riding gear I have purchased. Sent in my "hand drawing" for sizing, was complemented by Wayne on the good job. Didn't fit. Way too small. He wiggled about that, but did send a larger size. While the length of the fingers is good, the tubes for your fingers are way too tight. Fingers go numb after an hour or so. They have a really poor feel on the controls. Too slick, they don't have a leather or leather like panel on the palm side. Protection? Probably top notch if you like wearing them.

I have both the lightweight and classic one piece Roadcrafter. The light version is good to 85 or so as long as you are moving. Both suits overheat my legs in high temps. I also have the Motoport mesh kevlar pants and jacket. Not as cool as the mesh in other brands of mesh gear, the mesh is not nearly as open. I don't know how the regular stretch kevlar suit could be much more comfortable in heat than the Aerostich, there is just no airflow. But the Motoport mesh gear I have is simply the most comfortable gear I own. There is no doubt in my mind the armor is MUCH better than the Aerostich stuff. The Advantage the Aerostich has is the built in waterproofing. My light suit is completely dry. The waterproof liners I bought for the Motoport are 1st quality and absolutely waterproof. But a pain to put in and take out on the road. If I had to do over I think I would have bought the one piece Motoport for the convenience.

szurszewski
I'll fall in on what ltljohn said. I don't have the full suit but bought Motoport mesh pants with BMW compensation money from The Great RT Recall of '14. I'm really, really heat sensitive and they are the first motorcycle pants I could tolerate above 90 degrees, and that includes mesh ones from other makers.

85 degrees is my upper limit on my Roadcrafter on my current RT. (I used to go to 90 on my R12R).

I'd go full Motoport but just can't make my peace with the ugliness of their jackets so my hot weather kit is the Motoport pants and Klim Induction jacket (which is no looker but to me, not quite as ugly).

I recently picked up a Kevlar mesh Motoport jacket on ADV that miraculously seems like it was tailor fit to me. If I'd picked colors I would have gone with something other than black to reduce heat build up from the son, but I have to say this jacket in straight black for the body and accents doesn't look as "weird" as some of their other jackets - just looks like a bit thicker moto jacket. It's an older version, I think, of what became the Marathon - just a bit longer than waist cut but definitely not 3/4.

Which is all to say, I thought the same as you when I bought the pants and picked this up because the pants had been great and I saw a good deal. In the need though, I don't I think I look any weirder in this than I would in any other really protective moto gear. ...thought I'd still try an Atlantis suit if someone gave me one...

Thans for the input guys.

So it sounds like the stretch will be my best bet.

It will be breezier then the Stich as it lacks a liner (an advantage in the heat but a disadvantage in the cool).

Terry, if I do end up pulling the plug on Motoport, I will ride down for messurements & try out the gloves onsite.

Thanks again all.

Thans for the input guys.

So it sounds like the stretch will be my best bet.

It will be breezier then the Stich as it lacks a liner (an advantage in the heat but a disadvantage in the cool).

Terry, if I do end up pulling the plug on Motoport, I will ride down for messurements & try out the gloves onsite.

Thanks again all.

The R-3 Light Aerostich, which I have along with the classic, does not have a liner either. It also has a slightly thinner outer shell. Yes, it is cooler than the classic. But not by enough to really matter! When the temp hits the low 70's you don't want to be in stop and go traffic, the R-3 might be 5-8 degrees more tolerant over the Classic.That is why I wrote above that I didn't think the stretch Motoport would really be all that tolerable in higher temps. Since it is NOT water resistant in any way, it really has no advantage over the mesh for everyday wear. If you do try the gloves, don't believe that they will stretch out any, mine have not really improved.

Archived