IGNORED

Less frustrating way to change RT bulbs

macx

Well, that's certainly one way to get the job done, but I would not want to tackle it on the road, and I have a hard time considering it to be easy.

Replacing a headlight bulb does NOT require tools or removing any body panels. It does require manipulating parts in very confined spaces where you cannot see what you are doing, so it helps to practice the operation once before you really need to change a bulb. Do the left side first since it has a bit more room and can be seen from the back side with a flashlight - this helps you understand what you will be feeling with your fingers.

The easiest way to get finger, wrist and elbow joints aligned properly is to kneel/squat on left side of the wheel facing the headlight. With your left hand, reach in over the fender, under the oil cooler and up directly behind the high beam. You should be able to get your fingers on the left side bulb cover, spring clips and bulb fairly easily from there. The procedure for the right side is the same, working from the other side of the wheel with your right hand.

The left side will take about seven minutes, because you will get up a few times to look at the back side so your fingers can interpret what they feel from the front. The right side will then take about three minutes.

Ha Ha, I totally agree, in fact I had struggled thru it a couple times before. But after making virtually no headway this time for over an hour - remember my next BDay is the big 7-0 and I don't flex like I used to besides I'm retired so definitely have more time than patience! - I just decided to see what I could do.

I've seen a service manager change the left one in about a minute flat, but how many times did it take for him to learn all the right moves and remember what everything felt like?

And of course this isn't a procedure for the road! If that were to happen, I'd just run with the one until either I got to a dealer or got back home.

Cheers!

Archived