IGNORED

Basecamp has no details....

ltljohn

I loaded basecamp today. When I look at the maps I see very little detail. I have the detail setting set to highest and all I see are main roads no side roads or POIs appear. I posted over on Zumo forums but thought I would post here too.

Any thoughts?

Afternoon ltljohn

It sounds like you don't have a map turned on & all you have showing is the world map (that is main roads & large towns only).

Make sure you have a map version selected (click on "MAPS" tab in upper tool bar on BaseCamp), OR have your GPS plugged into the computer so BaseCamp can use the map from your GPS.

That's another one to figure out. How to get them loaded. I will do some research and figure it out. Thanks for the info.

If you've registered your Zumo with Garmin you can get them loaded onto your computer with Garmin Express. Log on to Garmin's website for details.

That was it. I did not realize I had to plug in the Zumo to get the maps.

Evening ltljohn

If you have purchased lifetime map updates then you have the option of using Garmin express (available from Garmin web site) to install and/or update maps on both your GPS & on your computer. Garmin express will give you the options that you need.

Otherwise you can use the CD/DVD that came with your GPS to install the NT map that came with your GPS onto your computer (probably though MapSource).

Unfortunately you can't just pluck the map from your GPS then place it on your computer & have it work with MapSource or BaseCamp.

I will download them with Garmin express later, it is a large download that will take a while. Thanks for all the help!

Unless Garmin has changed it recently, the default setting when you load new maps is to put them on the device only. You have to go in and change the setting to device and computer.

Yes, I found that. You can update device or computer or both.

Long download, about 40 minutes. It seem that any download from Garmin is slow.

Garmin Express is the key to easier, faster and more reliable map updates as well as device updates.

There are other ways to do this but Express is the easiest. Plus it ensures that maps on the device and on Basecamp are using the same version.

Most of the time if you have a map update the beginning estimate of the time required will be in multiple hours, but the time (usually) magically ends up being minutes.

Archived