IGNORED

BMW introduces SOS

Blind Squirrel

Oldironken

This is a great idea for solo rides on little traveled back roads or at night when an accident might not be visible.

Glenn Reed

Except it still requires a cell signal to make the call. For those of us who ride in the Appalachians, this is not always available. I'm sure there are other areas like that as well.

Blind Squirrel
Except it still requires a cell signal to make the call. For those of us who ride in the Appalachians, this is not always available. I'm sure there are other areas like that as well.

That's why I'll stick with my Spot.

Joe Frickin' Friday

+1. I installed a Spot Gen3 unit on my bike last fall. It uploads its location to satellite(s), so it works anywhere it's got a clear(ish) view of the sky, no cell service needed. Serves two purposes:

-it automatically updates its location every 10 minutes or so; these updates are visible on a map associated with your account, and you can provide interested parties (parents, spouse, kids, etc.) with a link to that map so they can monitor your progress.

-The "SOS" button calls in the cavalry. Wherever you may be when the button is pressed, Spot's team will contact the local emergency services in your area to come and find you. You don't need to figure out where you are - its GPS receiver sends your coordinates when you push the SOS button.

RAM makes a mount for it, so it can be easily attached to your bike. Can be powered by AAA batteries, or by a USB cable powered by your bike.

The downsides: In addition to not being automatic (like the BMW system), it's not cheap. $150 for the device, and $150 per year for service, but probably worthwhile if you do a lot of solo riding and don't feel like buying a new BMW bike any time soon.

Blind Squirrel

+1. I installed a Spot Gen3 unit on my bike last fall. It uploads its location to satellite(s), so it works anywhere it's got a clear(ish) view of the sky, no cell service needed. Serves two purposes:

-it automatically updates its location every 10 minutes or so; these updates are visible on a map associated with your account, and you can provide interested parties (parents, spouse, kids, etc.) with a link to that map so they can monitor your progress.

-The "SOS" button calls in the cavalry. Wherever you may be when the button is pressed, Spot's team will contact the local emergency services in your area to come and find you. You don't need to figure out where you are - its GPS receiver sends your coordinates when you push the SOS button.

RAM makes a mount for it, so it can be easily attached to your bike. Can be powered by AAA batteries, or by a USB cable powered by your bike.

The downsides: In addition to not being automatic (like the BMW system), it's not cheap. $150 for the device, and $150 per year for service, but probably worthwhile if you do a lot of solo riding and don't feel like buying a new BMW bike any time soon.

I actually have my Spot securely attached to the sleeve on my riding jacket. I have heard of too many stories of a rider being separated from the bike on a crash.

Joe Frickin' Friday
I actually have my Spot securely attached to the sleeve on my riding jacket. I have heard of too many stories of a rider being separated from the bike on a crash.

It's a helluva dilemma: I'm afraid of having hard lumpy things affixed to my body, where they can result in broken ribs (or worse) during an impact event. But of course you've pointed out the hazard of NOT doing so, i.e. what do you do if your bike/Spot is fifty feet away and you can barely move?

Tough call. My compromise is to keep my cell phone in my jacket pocket. It's relatively thin/flat/broad, so an impact with it is (I think/hope) less likely to cause injury than an impact with the Spot.

Indy Dave

It's a helluva dilemma: I'm afraid of having hard lumpy things affixed to my body, where they can result in broken ribs (or worse) during an impact event. But of course you've pointed out the hazard of NOT doing so, i.e. what do you do if your bike/Spot is fifty feet away and you can barely move?

Tough call. My compromise is to keep my cell phone in my jacket pocket. It's relatively thin/flat/broad, so an impact with it is (I think/hope) less likely to cause injury than an impact with the Spot.

Oh Mitch - you had to go there! :) ( I say that because I could see this going on ad nauseam - like an oil thread - except with much higher stakes)

Considered these things I have, and I've never been wholly satisfied with a solution. I have the wear the cell on me vs in the top case/on the bike internal debate about every time I ride. My concern about having it on my person it it could break in an off. Then what?!

In general if I'm riding with others, the phone goes in the top case. If I have an issue, others will be there to help. If riding solo, I'm half minded and have it on me sometimes and others in the top case. I'm not sure there is a clear cut solution - so I feel a bit like Sisyphus on this one. :dopeslap::S

Blind Squirrel

It is a decision each individual must make as to where to place it (or even have one on the bike). As pointed out earlier, the beauty of the Spot is that it does not require cell coverage. My Spot is on my upper right shoulder on the side of my bicep. If I am breaking bones in that area from the crash it will be from something other than the Spot. I do like that the Spot III is much more compact than the Spot I that I had before.

I do like that the Spot III is much more compact than the Spot I that I had before.

We're getting a little off topic, but I have a Spot I. Other than size, is there any reason to upgrade to a III ? i.e. do they work the same and have the same range? I really don't want to spend the $$$ on a new Spot.

Blind Squirrel
I do like that the Spot III is much more compact than the Spot I that I had before.

We're getting a little off topic, but I have a Spot I. Other than size, is there any reason to upgrade to a III ? i.e. do they work the same and have the same range? I really don't want to spend the $$$ on a new Spot.

SPOT Gen3

I have a DeLorme In Reach. Can turn service off and on whenever I want. Cheaper per year than Spot.

Can send and receive texts. My son used it in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area and we tracked him the whole two weeks he was there.

Pretty neat. Can set up a tracking page for others to see online.

Like motorcycles, every locator device is a compromise.

Archived