IGNORED

Portable jump starter

Doug_Baliko

Doug_Baliko

Does anyone have a recommendation on a good quality portable jump starter that car start a car/bike? Something compact that can be carried on a bike. There are a lot of them out there now and I'm sure that some of them are junk.

Doug

Guest Kakugo

This is what I own right now: Antigravity XP3 .

I haven't jumpstarted the boxer with it (fingers crossed) but it jumpstarted an RC51 with no problems and a member here used it to jumpstart a V6 engine.

If not used it will hold the charge for months (do not let it deep discharge it though ;) ) and can also be used to run/charge any USB powered device.

Antigravity now has a smaller model as well as a larger one.

Very well made and happy so far.

szurszewski

I have the XP-3 as well and have used it to start bikes as well as a few different cars (not a V-6, but the inline 6 in my X3) and it has been great. I've found it VERY slow to charge up a phone or tablet, so I wouldn't recommend it as a power bank type battery as there are lots of cheaper and faster options for that.

But that's the only downside I've found (oh - other than that the first one I got didn't work at all - wouldn't even take a full charge - but it was quickly replaced under warranty). The great thing about their new options is you can size it for what you want - if you're only going to use it for the bike you could get the small one, and if you want it to work on about anything, you could all the way up to the large one (and it still would be smaller than most jumper cables).

chrisolson

I picked this one . The reason, besides price? Almost all these devices seem to be lipo cell based. This one is a 4 cell. Most of the others appear to be 3 cell based solely on what's contained - or not - in their advertising. Simple to check ... after a full charge, normal resting voltage for a 3 cell pack is just over 12 volts while the 4 cell will be close to 16.

It made sense to me to have the extra cushion for the normal and expected drop in voltage when starting. Mine shows 15.77 volts four weeks after a full charge sitting in my side case. The construction of the device and the included cables seem quite adequate. Disclaimer ... I haven't actually had to use it yet :Cool:

Archived