IGNORED

Stupid Question ... How do I turn off Nav V

RTinNC

Just bought a Nav V today with the 4 button cradle and mounted it on my 2006 R1200RT. Used the standard plug and plugged into the bike plug under the dash where I had my Zumo 450 plugged in. Seems to work fine except it does not seem to turn off when I turn the key off on the bike. My 450 used to stay on for a few minutes and then turn off. I have to remove it from the cradle and hold the power button to shut if off. Is this the only way to turn it off?

ALso ,,, I assume the 2nd little plug is not used on an older RT such as mine?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

You need to find out if the power source you have used is switched power or always on power.

I too had a zumo that I powered from the so-called Maintenance plug under the front fork (if that is where you found the power source). If my recollection is accurate, there were two wires in that cable/socket. I think one of then was constant power the other switched.

If you have a meter check out the power source.

then... IF the power IS switched... call Garmin tech support ask for OEM support. Those guys are good.

The second plug is for transferring audio from the Nav5 to the onboard audio system of the RT (if so optioned).

The second plug is for transferring audio from the Nav5 to the onboard audio system of the RT (if so optioned).

OK ... so if no Audio on the bike then that plug is not needed?

You need to find out if the power source you have used is switched power or always on power.

I too had a zumo that I powered from the so-called Maintenance plug under the front fork (if that is where you found the power source). If my recollection is accurate, there were two wires in that cable/socket. I think one of then was constant power the other switched.

If you have a meter check out the power source.

then... IF the power IS switched... call Garmin tech support ask for OEM support. Those guys are good.

THAT is exactly where my 450 was plugged in and worked fine. Used the same keyed source. But it did FINALLY turn off but heck it is slow doing so. My 450 would power off about a minute or less after I turned the key off. But I suspect THIS is progress :grin:

Ed... I am getting a little lost in the language in this thread but in any case....

Yes, the normal operation of the bike electrical system to have power remain ON after key-off and this "pause" lasts about 30 seconds...

My '05 RT did that all the time.

Ed... I am getting a little lost in the language in this thread but in any case....

Yes, the normal operation of the bike electrical system to have power remain ON after key-off and this "pause" lasts about 30 seconds...

My '05 RT did that all the time.

Correct! THAT is exactly how my 450 worked on my R1200RT. With the new Nav V that "pause" seems significantly longer than 30 seconds. At first I did not believe it was turning off at all which seemed odd since I am using he same plug. It appears I was just not being patient enough. It did finally turn off ... I did not time it though.

So it appears to be working AS DESIGNED ...just slower.

Thanks !!

Archived