IGNORED

A book that I enjoyed....

Doug_Baliko

Doug_Baliko

Revved - obsessions of a midlife motorcyclist

By Stuart A. Kirk

I just read this book, and while I don't normally recommend books to others, I thought this book was very well written and enjoyable to read. Here is just one of my favorite excerpts;

"We were all traveling the same interesting roads, facing the same risks, seeing the same stunning scenery, sharing the common joy of riding, and moving at the same restless pace. Yet in a fundamental way we were riding alone, confined in protective gear, on our own moto, and in our own reality. Unlike traveling in a car, motorcycling with a small group combines elements of separateness and togetherness. On this trip, after a stop for gas or food, and brief conversations as we mounted our bikes, the departing refrain to one another—originated by our guru—was, “See you in Missoula.” This farewell expression was not an indication that we might not see each other until we arrived in Montana. Missoula, in this case, did not refer to a specific geographical destination but instead reflected our recognition that when we commenced riding we would each be riding alone yet also together by virtue of sharing a certain state of mind through riding. Like most motorcyclists, I have a drawer full of T-shirts acquired at rallies, races, and dealerships. My favorite T-shirt reads, across the front, “Motorcycling: More Than Just a Sport” and, in small letters on the back, “A State of Mind.” The essence of the sport of motorcycling is achieving this elusive state of mind."

Doug

Archived