IGNORED

helmet search

mikeR1100R

mikeR1100R

My wife and I are looking for recommendations for a full-face, not modular, light-weight, quiet helmet built for a medium-sized, round head. At least for now she will be riding pillion so her position on the bike will be fairly upright. Light in weight is probably the most important feature to be considered. We are doing some research; webbike world has alot of tests and reviews. Any help will be appreciated.

mbelectric

Not modular?

Shoei GT-Air

Flows great air and quieter than my Arai and Schuberth. No wind buffeting.

Did I say light?

Drop down shaded lens. Accepts Sena Bluetooth easily.

Around 5 bills, some think too much cost. What price excellence.

MB>

Guest Kakugo

My advice is always the same: if you can afford it, buy an Arai. If you want the closest helmet at a slightly lower price, get an OGK Kabuto. I've had loads of helmets over the years and, in the end, these are the only ones I didn't want to change after a year or less.

My advice is always the same: if you can afford it, buy an Arai.

I've had Arai and would never buy another (neither would my wife, who also had Arai). We both hated, with a passion, their arcane shield removal/installation procedure.

I've had several other helmet brands (Shoei, Shark etc.), and it was much, much easier to change faceshields on them than Arai.

My advice is always the same too -- if you're considering Arai (no doubt a good helmet), make sure that you're completely comfortable with changing shields.

mbelectric

Same experience with Arai...

After mastering the visor change ( you'll need to carry two, since they don't have integral

shaded visor), you'll need to carry spare parts to repair damage on the road. I once left the helmet on the seat, wind blew it over, and the impact broke the side shield. Without parts, the visor is now unattached. I had to stop at a market and purchase duct tape to facilitate repair. Rendered visor unadjustable. Took 2 weeks for parts.

I'll use it for local rides, but IMO the Arai is too fussy for long trips. Buyer beware.

Find one that fits, then research online. Purchase locally , support local shops.

MB>

Scorpion EXO series, light, built in sun visor, super easy visor change, inflatable cheek pads, room for speakers(sena)inside

Seems to me that after reading multiple articles etc, go with what your budget allows but most importantly, what fits. I have read that you want Snell and DOT approval and then others state that Snell is no good anymore. I have seen articles that state helmets are not worth it, go without. The point being you can find articles supporting any side of the price point. I had a Scorpion before my Arai and I will say it was a great helmet at 1/3 the price of the Arai. The reason I switched out of the Scorpion was their new line no longer fit my head shape and for the opposite side of the coin, the Arai fit best after trying on numerous helmets. So (in my opinion)if it is DOT (an maybe Snell) rated and fits, those are the ones you want.

As for noise, they are all pretty much the same noise value and we all wear ear plugs under them anyway. Again, this is just my $0.02

If you're on a budget, Scorpion EXO-R2000. See my review here http://www.mklsportster.com/Articles/bmwmoa-scorpion.pdf

If you want the best - Arai.

-MKL

I've had the Scorpion R2000 for over a year now and it is a great substitute for the Arai Profile. I loved the Arai Profile and had no issues with the shield mechanism. The new Arai helmet prices are crazy high and that is why I have the Scorpion.

Keep in mind, the Scorpion R2000 is a long oval, not a round shape. Point being, consider Scorpion but not the R2000 model.

mikeR1100R

Thanks so much for all the helpful advice and replies. That looks like a very interesting site about the helmet testing Tim. I remember reading a long time ago what I think was a 2 part series in Motorcyclist(?)that blew the roof off accepted helmet testing standards. Helmet manufacturers were howling and the magazine lost advertisers but the articles were eye-openers for sure.

We will definitely look into all suggestions and yes poor Georgi will have to try some helmets on her medium round head. Again thanks so much!

Wow, inflatable cheek pads?

szurszewski

I have those in my Scorpion modular and I really love them. I have really obnoxious sinus problems and adjusting them can mean being able to tolerate a helmet that's properly sized on a day when otherwise I'd need to wear one that was a little too large or just not be able to wear a helmet/ride at all.

I have recently had top of the line Arai, Shoei and a Shuberth C3. The Arai visor mechanism failed on mine like others described (side plate broke). The C3 is hot and a bit more noisy than the Shoei. I've gone back to the Shoei for summer, tossed the Arai (loss of almost $1K) and will revisit the C3 next winter.

As others have said, fit/comfort are primary considerations.

good luck,

Brad

I think Arai make some of the best lids out there, but not one of their models fits my head properly. On the flip side, Bell Star Carbon (current fave), Shoei's upper line RX1200, etc., and the super-light, super comfortable Nexx carbon helmets fit perfectly, are fairly quiet, and are light enough that your head doesn't feel like you're wearing a bowling ball after a full day on the bike. The reason I like my Bell Star Carbon the best, though, is that it takes the super slick Bell Transitions SolFX photochromatic (aftermarket) face shield -- no more carrying a clear shield around for when you're out after dark.

What Sonor said is spot-on, though: the one you want is the one that fits your head. My corollary would be that, plus the best constructed, lightest one you can afford.

I never use them on my R2000. I didn't need too. The cheeks are tight when fully deflated.

Honestly, I think this feature is something that can go wrong and I am not a fan of these type things. I think good fit is possible without them (I like exchangeable cheek piece technique much better).

Tim linked you to a great starting point. You have to first find what fits your head. Best helmet in the world isn't much good if it doesn't fit correctly. AGV helmets test well, but they don't fit me.

My wife and I both have Arai Signet Q's and love them. I've not had any issues with the visor - there are several videos showing the removal. Had mine off twice - once to replaced after it got scratched and the other time to put on the pin lock. We had gone to the Motorcycle show and tried on several helmets that we'd researched - nothing really did it, but it was informative talking to manufacturer reps. Some that fit OK didn't test well.

We had gone to the show with the intention of buying helmets, but we walked away empty helmeted.

I was back to square one. I wasn't looking for an Arai when we went shopping again and reluctantly I tried one on and . . . BOOM! FINALLY! Best fitting helmet I've ever had. And they were on sale.

Take your time and see what fits. This will be time well spent.

Sam Rowland

I too am a fan of Shoei and the GT Air is a really good quality helmet. As suggested earlier you need to try them on to see if the fitment is good for you. Shoei helmets are designed for the "intermediate oval" shaped head which is what the majority of people have.. The GT Air has really good air flow and that internal drop down "sun shield" is a real blessing. I wear glasses and with it I don't have to keep my sunglasses or a dark shield handy, and when doing stop and go in traffic with the face shield partially open having the "sun shield" really helps..plus the GT Air has the provision for a pinlock system (no fogging of the face shield). Here's a link to the Revzilla video review on the GT Air helmet....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnZSEq942Pk

Archived