IGNORED

New Cover needed

RPG

Looking for advice.

My current Nelson-Rigg cover is falling apart and leaks if a rainstorm hits.

Not unexpected, as it's cheap (about $40 new) but did work pretty well for the last 8 years or so.

I have the UV-2000-XL which covers about 1/2 of the bike. Is there a recommendation for a similar sized cover which is maybe a little better quality?

Nelson-Rigg

thanks,

RPG

realshelby

I bought the BMW cover for my '14 RT. Covers a bit more than the Nelson Rigg and was actually cheap for a BMW accessory!

BUT...I have used the exact Nelson Rigg you have for many years. The first one is in need of retiring. The one I used this past week on the V STrom works just great. Yes, they wear out. But that may be part of the design that makes them one of the best accessories I have ever had. They are extremely lightweight, fold very small, keep water off the bike in hard rain, easy to put on, stay on ( never had one come off yet), and don't seem to care if put away wet and left that way for a few days. I use them often on the road, as a security cover when going into eat and while in motels, as well as weather protection.

There might be a better cover for garage use to protect from bumps and scratches. But I really cannot see a better design for on the road use!

You might want to consider the EZ Touring Traveler. Ripstop nylon and well made.

Great for on road trips.

However, I killed one in one season due to commuting to work and using it as sun screen. I now have a home made copy made with Sunbrella fabric and on my third year (again using it as sun screen while commuting every day).

ALL nylon fabric dies very quickly in the sun. Coatings and UV protection may help, but Sunbrella was designed for marine use and it hasn't even faded much. It has softened like a pair of jeans and never scratched paint or windshield. I wish EZ Touring folks would make the traveler with it. There are covers out there made with it, but no half covers that I could find.

Thanks for the recommendations. I ended up ordering a new Nelson-Rigg. The same one I had as before. As realshelby pointed out, for the money, it's hard to beat.

$40

RPG

Cover, we don't need no stinkin' cover. Keep a towel in the trunk to wipe off the seat (rain, dew, bird crap) if ya have to. Extremely cheap and last damn near forever. ;)

It's pretty nice to pull the cover off in the morning and have the bike all dry and ready to ride while you watch everyone else towel their bikes down.

I started riding with two new buddies a few years ago. After the first long trip together, I noticed at the start of the second long trip they both had acquired half covers (I use the Nelson Rigg, it's now about 4 years old and hanging on. I only use it on trips).

For me, the cover beats a towel every time. :)

I bet it takes you longer to remover your cover than it does for me to dry a seat ;) And that's only if I happen to be wearing jeans. Wearing riding gear, no need to dry anything, key in, hop on, stand up, air dry the bike. Jus sayin'.

Sailorlite

I sometimes put a little piece of blue masking tape over the ign key slot but otherwise the towel to seat seems sufficient. (I've had the walmart cover for years but have never used it - too bulky).

Archived