IGNORED

Clearwater Lights

Sam Rowland

Sam Rowland

After talking to several people and watching videos, I am convinced that Clearwater lights are what I want to add to my RT. I have a question though. Does anyone have them on their RT I have a 2013 and the Clearwater website only lists "fork" mount or "crashbar" mount for the Darla lights. And I am not sure I want the lights to turn with the front wheel, but I don't have crashbars (at least not yet as I just purchased the bike less than a month ago). Has anyone installed the Darla lights to their RT in a manner not listed?

Sam, I have the Clearwater Ericas on my 2015 RT. The are mounted to my engine guard. If you don't want to mount them to your forks or crash bar, there is a fog light mount I believe. I would call Clearwater and tell them where you want to mount the lights and they will tell you the best option. Their customer service has been solid. You will be happy with your lights.

I was able to purchase some brackets from twisted throttle for my 2013 that mount lights beneath the mirrors.i will try to post a photo

image_zpsyslbembq.jpeg

image_zpsdspvqvrk.jpeg

moshe_levy

On the "Hexhead" RT, you can mount the Darlas under the oil cooler, though honestly (having tried both under oil cooler and fork mount) I would HIGHLY recommend the fork mount. The fork mounting has much more flexibility re the height and aim of the light than under the cooler, and also gives you the vaunted "triangle" of light - separate from the headlight. From far away, the "under the oil cooler" location pretty much blends with the headlight.

Here's my old (2009) Hexhead setup - Ericas under the mirror, Darlas under the cooler, and Motolights.

rtclear_zpsrwphanle.jpg

New setup on the Wethead is even better - Sevinas under the mirrors, Ericas on the crash bars, and Darlas on the forks. I can melt steel with my laser beams!!

-MKL

Sam Rowland
Sam, I have the Clearwater Ericas on my 2015 RT. The are mounted to my engine guard. If you don't want to mount them to your forks or crash bar, there is a fog light mount I believe. I would call Clearwater and tell them where you want to mount the lights and they will tell you the best option. Their customer service has been solid. You will be happy with your lights.

I ran across this video on You Tube showing the bracket I think you are referring to. This guy used them to mount a set of Darla lights on his 2016 RT..When I asked him about the brackets he replied that unfortunately these brackets are only available for a few models (his words)..I think I'll have to call Clearwater Lights and check the availability out. I'll post what I find out.

Those appear to be the mounting brackets supplied by BMW for their optional lights and are also used by Clearwater in their own light kits.

The upper light brackets mounted under the mirrors are made by BMR. Clearwater sells them with their lights as an optional mounting location.

Sam Rowland
Those appear to be the mounting brackets supplied by BMW for their optional lights and are also used by Clearwater in their own light kits.

I agree completely and they mount down low just above the cylinders, about the same height as they would be if mounted to "crash bars"...I just wonder why Clearwater doesn't list them as an mounting option on their website.... Maybe they are listed under a different model of lights???

Sam Rowland

Ok mystery solved. I got an email back from Clearwater, and these are the brackets I was looking for, they are included in the "D59" mounting kit which is for RT's with "wonder wheel" the kit also includes the "CAN OPENER" which interfaces with the BMW "CAN BUSS" and allows programming and control of the lights using the wheel and the turn signal cancel button of all things...go figure.. Well after some more investigating I found out these brackets only work on the 2014 and newer "water cooled" RT's. So I guess it's fork or engine guard mount....

https://clearwaterlights.com/products/darla-r1200rtw

Medic Mike

I am probably going to open a can here, what are the major difference between the traditional PIAA lights versus the Clearwater? When it comes to add ons I am newb in the first degree.

Piaa lights that you are familiar with use expensive to replace halogen bulbs,if you use Piaa bulbs,and are subject to burnout,mostly due to the amount of heat they produce.

Piaa does produce some newer LED lights,but have not been rated too high in real world testing.

LED lights such as Clearwater run cooler and usually will outlast the ownership of the bike,but easily moved to the next bike.

Clearwater uses a unique system that interfaces with BMW electronics on newer bikes and allows a variety of light adjustments in either the older or newer bikes.

Clearwater uses all top shelf components in their products,so are priced higher than some others.

Also Clearwater service is first rate,you will se a number of posts here that describe how they respond to issues even on weekends and holidays and if required replacements are shipped out often free and rapidly.

Having said all that,I do use Denali lights in front because I got them for a steal and I do recommend them and they are well built,

I do have Clearwater Canopener 3 interface and their Billie brake light to help me be more visible from the rear,both as a running light and much more effective brake light.

JR356

Medic Mike

Thanks JR, that explains that. I have an 06 RT, so my mounting options are limited and I do not have all the fancy things the newer RT's have.

Mike

JWMcDonald

I've been running PIAA LED lights on 2003 R1150RS and found them quite satisfactory.

That said, I just picked up my 2016 R1200RS with Clearwater Darla lights installed.

The biggest advantage is the adjustable output (in 10% increments) and the convenience of the Wonder Wheel.

As the saying goes, the difference is "night and day"... :grin:

moshe_levy
Thanks JR, that explains that. I have an 06 RT, so my mounting options are limited and I do not have all the fancy things the newer RT's have.

Mike

Mike, the only thing you will miss on an '06 is the ability to control the lights via OEM switchgear. That's it. And the Clearwaters come with adjustment dials you mount right on your dash that are small and look slick, so honestly it's not that big a deal.

I see the CANopener's greatest feature as dynamic control of the Billie brake light, way over control of the forward facing lights. Sounds to me like a topic for a video!

-MKL

Medic Mike

Thank you Moshe for the info, that made it much clearer for me. At this rate, I am going to have sell one of kids kidneys on Ebay. It is a sacrifice I am willing to make though.

Mike

Archived