IGNORED

Impressive Little LED Controller

eddd

I had replaced the stock "City Lights" incandescent bulbs on my Kawasaki with very bright LEDs. I also added a Skene Design LED controller, but it failed after a few months.

While looking for a replacement for the Skene I came across this very impressive controller. The variety of modes/speeds/brightnesses is truly remarkable. I can see where this device could find its way into a variety of projects. This website is a great source for a variety of LED-related products.

In order to increase conspicuity I selected the pulsing mode in the video. It isn't as annoying as the video may make it seem. When the headlight is on the pulsing becomes less obtrusive.

Video

Very cool Eddd.

Jeez, is your concrete floor waxed?

MB>

It is just an illusion, and since I don't have the OCD gene an occasional sweeping is as far as I'll go. DrinkinCoffee.gif

• 3 weeks later...

eddd - got the flasher, and several other items from superbrightleds. The flasher works really well on the brake light. My only concern is the lack of a seal (weather tightness) where the connecting wires enter and exit the device. The ends were easily sealed with a gob of RTV silicone in each end.

This could be a huge safety enhancement for any two wheeler, and less than $7.

Lots of info on converting to LED's for cars and bikes, too.

THANKS for posting this find!!

markgoodrich

Ed is lying. I've seen his garage. All his tools are Kawasaki green. They're lined up according to size. OCD is an understatement.

That's an interesting widget you have there, my friend.

markgoodrich

Ed is lying. I've seen his garage. All his tools are Kawasaki green. They're lined up according to size. OCD is an understatement.

That's an interesting widget you have there, my friend.

• 1 month later...

eddd, and anyone else interested. I found a very similar LED controller, WITH a remote, and with plug in connectors, on amazon for 3.59;

TonLong Single Color LED Light Strip R106 Controller - Includes RF Remote 5 to 24V DC, 8A Max,led Dimmer

Looks to be weather tight, too. Will find out shortly.

Lowndes

eddd,

I'm never ceased to be amazed at your ability to find solutions that work!

And also thankful that you will share them with the rest of us who wouldn't have a clue on how to begin.

Quick question, will that controller work with all LED lights?

I'm looking to add a set of LED lights to my F 700 GS and the option to either have them flashing or not seems to me to be a very desirable feature.

eddd,

I'm never ceased to be amazed at your ability to find solutions that work!

And also thankful that you will share them with the rest of us who wouldn't have a clue on how to begin.

Quick question, will that controller work with all LED lights?

I'm looking to add a set of LED lights to my F 700 GS and the option to either have them flashing or not seems to me to be a very desirable feature.

Hey, Bud. To answer your question on controlling ALL LED's: the "R106" controls single color LED's. the "R105"controls RGB LED's.

Most people would only want these little controllers on the BRAKE lights, but some might go for the headlight or parking/marker lights, too. If you have a "white" LED brake light bulb behind the standard RED lens, you are good with this R106.

I can tell you this; my brother installed the R106 on his '74 RT with a white LED tail/brake light bulb and the flashing DEFINITELY gets your attention. I normally ride behind him and my eyes automatically go straight to it, can't help it, day or night. I know who he is and where he's going, but I can't help it.

You will have to splice the controller into the brake light circuit only. Different controller for each circuit you want to flash, of course.

You will need to put a dab of RTV silicone caulk into each end of the shrink wrap cover to "weather proof" it. Work it completely around the wires in the annular space and let it cure a day or so before you install the controller.

AF1QipMjyozqnV7T5ShKC3SOf9TFXpEm8CftVi5VjLhj

Also, check the current draw on the circuit. It's rated for 12A, but if your bulbs total more than 4 amps on that circuit, you will need to mount it in a place that gets plenty or active ventilation (wind) for cooling of the little controller.

I found a very similar LED controller on amazon for $2.98 ea, free freight. It also has a very small remote to make it easier to change the controller if it's buried in the fairing or under the seat.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AHU2U7O/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

eddd,

...Quick question, will that controller work with all LED lights?

I can't give you a complete answer since "all LED lights" may need some clarification.

That said, I'll assume you are talking about adding something like these.

I have a pair of those mounted to the forks of my Kawasaki. They are listed as 10W lights, but the real important number is the current draw which is 680mA. The controller is rated for up to 5 Amps. A pair of the lights in the link would only draw 1.4 Amps.

I have a set of Cree v3 drls (1.2A total) on my 2007 R1200RT-P and was looking at a switching method plus an ability to use the "strobe" mode intermittently

The importer however advised as follows

"The main problem with trying to modulate our Cree lights is the in built driver circuits for the LED 'fight' any modulation and almost stop the effect all-together. This would also go for any active dimmer circuit, the lights would remain fully lit until they reached a point and then would just stop working"

So, can anyone advise otherwise?

Archived