IGNORED

Tire Repair Kits

fastlarry

Can anyone offer a recommendation for a tire repair kit to be carried on the bike. I have a compressor. In the past rope plugs didn't work to seal the hole, messy with the cement. Have tried liquid tire sealant successfully, but it, too is messy.

Larry

realshelby

Unless the hole is not a hole but a slice, I have had MUCH better luck with the rope type seals. I went back to them a few years ago and that is all I carry. You must clean out the hole with the round serrated tool first. That is key to a good seal. I have installed them without the rubber cement ( along the road and the cement was dry ) and they worked just fine. I do use the cement when I have it as it makes it slide in easier. I don't bother to cut off the exterior excess length, it just wears away.

I have used two of them in one hole on the KLR. That cannot be done with the mushroom type.

Unless the hole is not a hole but a slice, I have had MUCH better luck with the rope type seals. I went back to them a few years ago and that is all I carry. You must clean out the hole with the round serrated tool first. That is key to a good seal. I have installed them without the rubber cement ( along the road and the cement was dry ) and they worked just fine. I do use the cement when I have it as it makes it slide in easier. I don't bother to cut off the exterior excess length, it just wears away.

I have used two of them in one hole on the KLR. That cannot be done with the mushroom type.

Morning Terry

Where did you find tubeless wheels for your KLR?

Can anyone offer a recommendation for a tire repair kit to be carried on the bike. I have a compressor. In the past rope plugs didn't work to seal the hole, messy with the cement. Have tried liquid tire sealant successfully, but it, too is messy.

Larry

I only carry the Nealey kit. Some of the ropes can be very tar-like, but I haven't had any issues with the Nealy ropes. An easy solution is carry a few pair of Nitrile gloves not Latex. Latex will deteriorate rather quickly when carried on the bike.

Here is a write up of the method I have successfully used too many times.

Link

Morning Larry

At one time I pretty well carried Stop & Go tire repair kits in all my tubeless tire bikes & tubeless ATV's.

Every year (or even sooner) the glue would dry out & the rubberish ropes would dry out so as things needed updating I would just buy generic ropes & generic glues form the auto parts stores & stuff those in my carry along repair kits.

Ropes are probably not the best for long distance very high speed riding BUT they are the best for plugging ragged tire cuts & punctures that don't go straight in. And ropes are absolutely the best for plugging along a roadside in the dark with little light to work by.

Rope can also be used for temporary side wall repairs to at least get you to a place to spend the night or get a new tire.

My suggestion to you is to try BOTH a rope kit & a mushroom kit then USE THEM (practice) on your bike's tires just before you replace the tires. That will give you hands on & experience to make you own decision on what works best FOR YOU.

I can't say this enough times that everyone should practice plugging their motorcycle tires just before a tire change. If something doesn't work for you then the time to find out is BEFORE you need to use the plugging kit along the side of country road at night 100 miles from anywhere.

realshelby

Morning Terry

I didn't. I put two rope plugs in through the tire carcass and into the tube. Put some more air in it, pulled out the nail and with my already to go rope seal stuck it in there. Still leaked. So I put another one in and it leaked less. Got home on it. Try that with the other types of puncture seals!

Morning Terry

I didn't. I put two rope plugs in through the tire carcass and into the tube. Put some more air in it, pulled out the nail and with my already to go rope seal stuck it in there. Still leaked. So I put another one in and it leaked less. Got home on it. Try that with the other types of puncture seals!

Clever solution.

Larry

I only carry the Nealey kit. Some of the ropes can be very tar-like, but I haven't had any issues with the Nealy ropes. An easy solution is carry a few pair of Nitrile gloves not Latex. Latex will deteriorate rather quickly when carried on the bike.

Link

+1 for Nealy Kits.

Got turned on to them from this site. Used them on a GS tire and on my Ford Explorer! Work like a charm!! And you have to love a company that makes ONE PRODUCT! Oh and they sent it to me and then asked me for payment.

Shiny Side Up

Larry

Link

The Nealy Tire Repair system is what I carry as well.

Only needed it once, but that thing works like a charm. Aired it up with my small WalMart compressor and back on the road in 30 minutes.

I just put new tires on about 500 miles ago. The Nealy repair held out on the old tire for a little over 6K miles.

I only use the ropes. Watch a few youtube videos on their use. I've used them for years on the car, the bike, mowers, etc. They work the vast majority of the time (I've only had one that didn't).

One thing you gotta keep in mind before abandoning ship on a particular method - some holes take plugs better than others. Some holes are really just un-repairable.

To my way of thinking, the ropes are a little more versatile, because you can put several rope plugs in one big hole, and have better luck with that than with some plugs.

But for your basic nail hole, most of them should work fine, if you use them properly.

John Ranalletta

Got the same kit. Never used on my tires but put 3 other riders back on the road with it + my old Honda Accord. Carry extra CO2 or get a battery-powered pump.

Have been very fortunate with my tires. 40 yrs without a flat. With that being said, I am ordering the Nealey kit today as it seems to have a very high satisfaction rate from the reviews I've seen. It does seem to be a temporary repair though. My question is, after getting back to home or a shop, would a more permanent fix be available, such as an internal patch ? Seems to me it should work and would be preferable to trashing a new $200 + tire . I never hear of that solution. Is there a down side or reason why it isn't done ?

realshelby

Liability!

Shops are hesitant to repair motorcycle tires for this reason. I have demounted tires and used the NAPA internal patch that has a very large flat mushroom head and a tapered stem that you pull through from the outside to seat and level the patch to the inner carcass. But, I have had very good luck just running good rope patches for the rest of the tire life also.

I've had the ropes and the Stop N Go. I got a nail in my car tire and decided to try and use these on it before I get in a real bind like DR says.

I could not get the ropes to work for anything. I had two different brand kits. It sounds like it is me who can't get it to work. I used the Stop N Go and got it to work the first time.

I carry the Stop N Go on the bike.

Good luck.

Just ordered the Nealey kit and will go through some practice repairs before I change tires. Looks to me to be the ticket for roadside tire repairs. Been to the West Coast 3 times with no tire problems. Have I been lucky? Maybe

Thanks, all.

Archived