IGNORED

Opinion/help with current front tire wear now squaring off - only 4k

paRTy

First off, thanks in advance for your help and opinions.

Bike: 2014 RTW

I have Pirelli Angel tires. "A" spec on rear. Looks and functions find. Love the tires.

Front tire has 4,000 miles, non "A" spec. Noticed it is now squaring off a bit. Going on a 1,000 mile trip middle of July. Would "you" replace w new? Thought this tire would go 5-7K. Peace of mind tells me to replace. Thoughts? Anyone else have this tire up front, and if so, what mileage did you get?

thx.

Morn Party. I am by no means a tire expert but I do go thru a fair amount of them. Should you replace ? Depends. First , how squared off are they, do you have noticeable adverse turn in characteristics now, how many miles do you expect to put on tire before trip and do you have previous experience with this make of tire so you can judge the future rate of degradation ? Personally, too many variables for my small mind , so decided to just mount my own tires ( a lot easier than I thought ) and if in doubt, switch out the older tire for a new one. I could always put the old one back on later to run it out on shorter less demanding rides. Something to. be said for peace of mind on a trip. Just my thoughts

szurszewski

You expected 5-7k miles, you're at 4000 now with a bit of squaring and wondering if you should change before a 1000 mile trip that's six weeks away? That math says yes since, assuming you ride a bit between now and then, you'd be in the middle of your expected end-of-life mileage for the tire on or at the end of the trip anyway (and you're already seeing more wear than expected).

If you're going to have to change out right after the trip anyway, why not replace it a week or so before the trip (just 'cause I never like to have anything brand new at the start of a trip) and enjoy the new rubber while you're traveling?

joeb and szurszewksi -thx for replies.

All make sense. Peace of mind will have me changing the tire.

szurszewksi, seeing your comment in B&W makes it a no brainer. Common sense

really - duh. Probably knew this going in, but wanted to see what other's thought and was not wanting to spend the extra cash.

Honestly, I was hoping for more than 5-7K on the tire, but will be realistic. Will change the tire(s) before the trip. Fresh rubber and peace of mind = priceless.

thx.

You expected 5-7k miles, you're at 4000 now with a bit of squaring and wondering if you should change before a 1000 mile trip that's six weeks away? That math says yes since, assuming you ride a bit between now and then, you'd be in the middle of your expected end-of-life mileage for the tire on or at the end of the trip anyway (and you're already seeing more wear than expected).

If you're going to have to change out right after the trip anyway, why not replace it a week or so before the trip (just 'cause I never like to have anything brand new at the start of a trip) and enjoy the new rubber while you're traveling?

szurszewski
joeb and szurszewksi -thx for replies.

All make sense. Peace of mind will have me changing the tire.

szurszewksi, seeing your comment in B&W makes it a no brainer. Common sense

really - duh. Probably knew this going in, but wanted to see what other's thought and was not wanting to spend the extra cash.

I'm still amazed at how seeing/hearing something you're already thinking can make it so much more clear. My wife - still! - gets really annoyed with me when I ask her a question and then just do whatever I was going to do anyway. Often it's just the asking out loud that makes the answer clear! (Which is to say, I hope you don't feel foolish for asking!)

Honestly, I was hoping for more than 5-7K on the tire, but will be realistic. Will change the tire(s) before the trip. Fresh rubber and peace of mind = priceless.

thx.

I don't know about your fancy new bike :) but unless you are riding HARD on abrasive roads, that seems like really short life. On my oilhead I've seen over 10,000 on both Metzler Z6s and Pilot Road 2s - the reviews I've seen here and other places make me think you'd be likely to get similar miles from the newer versions of those tires on your new bike :)

josh

Tewks, thought about PR4GT's before getting the Pirelli's. Both tires got excellent reviews. Had PR2's on my 1150rt and loved them also. Guess I wanted to try something new. Have absolutely loved the Pirelli's and will now be going through the decision again.....Pirelli vs PR4. I've read a lot of threads on both. Can't go wrong either way in my opinion.

Michelin Pilot Road 4 tires should get you more mileage. Have you considered them?

Pat

Archived