IGNORED

Wrap Grips?

ddreger

I've got a R1200GS, and I am having a problem with hand numbness on my throttle hand. I do have Kaoko throttle lock that helps once I am on a highway, but I was wondering if making the grip diameter larger and grip softer might also help.

I was wondering if anyone has tried wrapping their grips with leather tennis racket grip material or something else, and what the results were? Also since the grips are heated is there anything I should consider if I decide to try to wrap them.

Thanks

Doug

realshelby

I have used the foam "Grip Puppies" on a couple bikes. Just cannot get used to the disconnected feeling the foam gives. Plus they get wet and are a bit slick when wet. I have wondered about the rubbery tape you put on fishing rods.

I have O-rings on my RT. Excel Werkes has a kit where they send you enough O-rings to cover your grips. Not standard stuff, probably EPDM do they are UV and chemical resistant. Make the grips fatter, not unlike the Oilhead grips which I really liked. Seem to work just fine with the heated grips on. Not slick at all when wet, in fact they are better than the factory grips. I find that I don't grip them at hard and that helps with pain in the wrist, elbow and shoulder.

Caterpillar O-Ring:

HERE

Been using mine for years. I keep a couple spares in the glove box on the bike to give out if someone asks about it. (or in case I lose the one I'm using, which hasn't happened in 60K miles)

realshelby

The O-rings I am talking about are used to cover the entire grip area. Which means like over 30 on each grip. Not the ones used for a throttle lock. You can see them in this pic I posted about the tank bag this morning. One thing that I really like is that they are near the same height as my wrist rest, I just removed a few O-rings where it goes. Now it doesn't cause a sore spot on my hand after long miles!

DSC01928_zpsvkiuci8w.jpg

Danny caddyshack Noonan

I fixed hand numbness by having carpal tunnel surgery on both.

However, I do find the RT grips a bit small in diameter. Wrapped those with baseball grip wrap. Not thick and added jut enough to make a perfect fit for me.

I've been using The Original Grip Buddies and I'm surprised by how much I'm liking them. But that's based more on their versatility, than on plushness. Let me explain.

If you look at the product, it has Velcro on the underside, along the forward mounting edge. This Velcro has adhesive on the underside. The instructions say to pull the cover off the adhesive and stick the Velcro to your existing grips, then wrap the Grip Buddies around your grips and mate the trailing edge to the Velcro that sticks out from the leading edge. But that means they're permanently attached. I wanted to be able to remove them when I got into the twisties and needed more tactile feedback and control.

What I did is to NOT uncover the adhesive. I just held the Grip Buddies in place and stretched them around and attached to the Velcro. There's absolutely no slippage and, so far, none in the rain, either. The great thing is that I've got a larger-diameter grip for the highway, and can go back to the original smaller-diameter grip for the more demanding stuff. I just un-Velcro the Grip Buddies and toss them in my tank bag, ready to be reinstalled later if I'm gonna slab for an hour or more (takes 10-seconds per side to attach and 5-sec to remove). So far, they've survived about a dozen installations/removals without problem. And if the covering over the adhesive ever comes off, I'm sure that a cloth and some chemical will remove the adhesive easily and make avoiding permanent attachment a moot point.

I too have had problems with numbness in my hands. Depends on the bike, the grips, duration of the ride, number of days riding etc.

I ended up changing bikes (from an inline 4 cylinder to boxer twin) and put Grab-On grip covers on all my bikes. (Two single cylinder dual sports too). The Grab-Ons are seamless, and made from a higher density material than the neoprene based covers.

That minimizes the problem for me. My brother occasionally rides my bike and is not a fan.

The best solution? Factory cruise control. I rented a 2013 GSW last year with cruise. After several long days of riding, I had no discomfort or numbness. I keep telling myself that my next bike will have cruise.

Used tennis racket grips on my RSL. Worked great and come in a variety of textures and thicknesses. Didn't seem of affect the grip heaters either.

I've been using The Original Grip Buddies and I'm surprised by how much I'm liking them.

I love Original Grip Buddies, have had them on three bikes now. But I doubt if they will cure your numbness - they're more about enlarging the grip and giving you more friction. I was getting numb hands on my K1200GT, and concluded it was more riding posture than anything else... just leaning on my palms too much. Bar backs solved that.

I like the looks of those grip buddies. I've been using grip puppies for years on almost all of my bikes. They work great for thickening up the hand grips, but they always absorb water when riding in the rain. It really sucks when your bike has been sitting out in the rain and you have to grab a wet squishy sponge for the commute home. Looks like the grip buddies have that covered. I might have to order myself a set and see how I like them

Charles Elms

I have the grip buddies and really like them. You can take them off/on in less than 1 minute. I have used grip puppies in the past and like the grip buddies. They do block some of the heat, but if you really need the instant heat, just take them off and put them in your tank bag.

Archived