IGNORED

Waterproof summer gloves

Knobby10

Looking for gloves described above. Way too many choices to pick from (like everything else in life today) $150.. price range or ??

Thanks in advance for your experience

Knobby

I use those Aerostich slip-over, gauntleted, 3-finger gloves. Have for years and they will keep you dry all day. Just wear what ever gloves the weather requires underneath.

Larry

I like the Held Air n Dry :thumbsup:,really a 3 season glove,but totally functional in our 90-100 degree weather here in SW USA.

JR356

Ditto on using water resistant covers rather than waterproof gloves. Get good abrasion resistant gloves, then don your covers for the few times you need water protection. They are a wee bit clumsy, but you don't have them on much.

I just bought a pair of the BMW Two-in-One gloves today (pretty much identical to the Held gloves), though $20 less surprisingly. I had been using the Aerostitch Triple-Digit rain covers. While they certainly keep the rain out, I was never that happy with their lack of feel etc. Also, in the more recent version of the Triple-Digits, the velcro closures at the wrist are shorter than on the earlier version I had, and I found that annoying.

Looking at pictures of the Held Air-N-Dry gloves, I see perforations in the palm and scoops on the outsides of the fingers. The perforations will be covered by the grips, and there is a waterproof (and presumably wind proof) liner between the scoops and the fingers.

So how can the air flow to your skin to allow cooling?

I had the Aero Stitch Triple digit but I really dislike the mentioned lack of feel.

I tried several pairs of rain gloves over the years and found all were less than ideal. They all seem to get somewhat wet eventually. One of the biggest problems is that on several models it is nearly to totally impossible to get wet/damp hands into the gloves. Some even have the liner come out of the gloves stuck to your damp hands with the said liner impossible to put back in.

With this as a background I went a completely different direction. I searched out household/industrial type gloves like the picture. Farm and ranch stores are a good source for this type of glove so you can try them on with the gloves you'll wear underneath. I buy a size that fits over my lightweight summer gloves. They slip on quite easily since they are usually lined with a cotton liner that is fused to the inside of the gloves. So far so good. Much better feel, easy on and off, totally waterproof.

standard.jpg

szurszewski
Looking at pictures of the Held Air-N-Dry gloves, I see perforations in the palm and scoops on the outsides of the fingers. The perforations will be covered by the grips, and there is a waterproof (and presumably wind proof) liner between the scoops and the fingers.

So how can the air flow to your skin to allow cooling?

I've wondered about that too (and it's part of why I opted to buy the BMW Atlantis glove AND some FirstGear summer gloves). Moshe did a video review of them recently; while he didn't directly address this issue, I'm sure he'd be happy answer via youtube comments, or a question via the board - or maybe we can get him on this thread...

Here's a link to the thread with a link to the review!

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=962842#Post962842

I had the Aero Stitch Triple digit but I really dislike the mentioned lack of feel.

I tried several pairs of rain gloves over the years and found all were less than ideal. They all seem to get somewhat wet eventually. One of the biggest problems is that on several models it is nearly to totally impossible to get wet/damp hands into the gloves. Some even have the liner come out of the gloves stuck to your damp hands with the said liner impossible to put back in.

With this as a background I went a completely different direction. I searched out household/industrial type gloves like the picture. Farm and ranch stores are a good source for this type of glove so you can try them on with the gloves you'll wear underneath. I buy a size that fits over my lightweight summer gloves. They slip on quite easily since they are usually lined with a cotton liner that is fused to the inside of the gloves. So far so good. Much better feel, easy on and off, totally waterproof.

Afternoon Eddd

That is what I have been using for a number of years now (very similar anyhow)

I use class II electrically insulted over gloves as they are fairly thin but have a good rupture resistance & fit very good over thin summer riding gloves as they are designed to be used over thin work gloves & still be able to use tools & work on somewhat intricate things.

The thing I like about the Class II electrically insulated gloves is that they have nice long gauntlets so keep water from going up arm under my coat sleeves.

ramka_4143_zpsfuipkn5v.jpg

Lone_RT_rider
I like the Held Air n Dry :thumbsup:,really a 3 season glove,but totally functional in our 90-100 degree weather here in SW USA.

JR356

$250 for a pair of gloves? Not no, but Heeeeelllllllllll no. My hands can get wet for that amount of cash.

I guess I never worried about my hands getting wet while on the road. My KLIM Mojave seem to do very well wet or dry.

I guess I never worried about my hands getting wet while on the road.

I tend to agree. Wet in summer is not as big a deal. I'd rather have non-waterproof, airy gloves for maximum coolness/sweatyness in the summer. Cover them when there is a lot of rain or wear my Gerbings heated gloves.

I've tried lots of waterproof gloves over the years and they all really really suck. Essentially they are all constructed the same (leather or textile outer with a waterproof liner on the inside somewhere).

The best solution are rain covers. I use Aerostich 3-digit rain covers and they go over any glove I own. When not in use, they roll up to nothing. http://www.aerostich.com/clothing/gloves/rain-glove-covers/aerostich-triple-digit-covers.html

I bought a pair of waterproof gloves on the bargain table at Cycle Gear for $20 about 3 years ago. I keep them in my top case. They are completely waterproof, but hot due to no air. I don't bother in the summer, but in the winter...I put them on if it gets wet or if my hands get cold in dry air. They usually have them They aren't a great glove by any means, but they are dry. Always on the bike..

Archived