IGNORED

Where to get old Garmin maps for Basecamp?

EddyQ

I switched from a PC to a Mac this winter and found this a good time to switch from mapsource to basecamp. The basecamp install went fine and worked without issues with my rather old Zumo550. However, this old zumo has old maps. I never got the lifetime maps and this older map set hasn't caused me much problems til now.

How do I get this older map to basecamp?

Garmin Express nicely updated the firmware in the Zumo. But offers no options to transfer map to PC.

I used Garmin Express to update my Nuvi 1450, which does have lifetime maps and the option was there for copying the map to basecamp. SO, I think all the software is working, but no option for my older map in my Zumo.

If I have no option but to update the zumo map, will it work with a one-time map? Or will this cause issues? Seems like robbery to me. $90 for lifetime maps on my old Zumo seems out there.

Any other options?

Morning Eddy

The short answer is: there is no easy way to transfer your old .IMG map from your GPS to your computer so BaseCamp will recognize it.

There is a way using 3rd party programs to convert the map then transfer it as a map back up. (this isn't easy to explain & unless you work with the software regularly it isn't straight forward)

The EASY work-around is to simply connect your Zumo to your computer using the USB cable, that will put your Zumo into mass storage mode & allow your computer to allow Base Camp to access the map that is in your GPS (this works great but does require hooking the GPS to the computer each time you want to use that map)

Or-- you can simply format an SD card to Fat 32, then make a folder on the SD card called "Garmin" (don't use the quotes). Now find your .IMG map or .IMG supp in your GPS (it will probably have the name of your map version like 2012.3 or 2011.2 or whatever the version maps your unit has) then simply copy that .IMG map file to that Garmin folder on the SD card.

Then when you want to use THAT map in BaseCamp just pop that SD card into the SD card slot & BaseCamp should find it & allow you to use it. (this only works with SD cards or thumb drives, it won't work if directly transferred to a drive on the computer)

If your Zumo came with a CD map you could probably reinstall that map to your computer as long as you have the original (& valid) unlock code that came with it.

There are also some illegal ways to crack the map lock codes from your Nuvi maps but obviously I can't/ & definitely won't/ go into that here.

Thanks DR.

Yeah, basecamp does access the maps on the Zumo fine when connected via USB. But it is slow.

I'm thinking I need to bite the bullet and update the Zumo map. I've considered this for quite a while. I would need a new SD card, I think 8GB and follow a process to get maps on that SD card.

I visited Zumo forums this morning, and I am not sure Garmin Express or MapInstall works best with doing that. . . . More homework. . .

I was hoping the older map file was available somewhere. I have unlock codes, so I thought just needed this file. Likely I am mistaken.

Now, is it best to update with lifetime or onetime? My old Zumo may die in the next year, so I am hesitant to pay extra for lifetime. But if it is less troublesome for lifetime maps, the extra $$ will be well spent. It has been rather painless updating the Nuvi (which has lifetime maps) over the years.

Afternoon EddyQ

I visited Zumo forums this morning, and I am not sure Garmin Express or MapInstall works best with doing that. . ---Garmin Express is best for (downloading) installing a new map on both your PC & GPS. Map installer is best for installing a map that is already on your computer onto your GPS. BaseCamp already has a basic map installer so you can just use BaseCamp to install a map that you already have on your computer to your GPS (This will NOT unlock a locked map to your GPS so if you install a map not unlocked to that specific device it won't work).

I was hoping the older map file was available somewhere. I have unlock codes, so I thought just needed this file. Likely I am mistaken.--It actually is-- There are RAR files on the internet that have the old maps but be very careful with those as some contain nasty viruses.

Now, is it best to update with lifetime or onetime? My old Zumo may die in the next year, so I am hesitant to pay extra for lifetime. But if it is less troublesome for lifetime maps, the extra $$ will be well spent. It has been rather painless updating the Nuvi (which has lifetime maps) over the years. --Good question, lifetime maps are expensive & once your Zumo dies then they are basically useless to use legally.

What map version are you looking for? I have most of the old maps in archive but they are mighty big to send anywhere.

I will mention again-- If you download the (installed) map .img file from your GPS to an SD card (put it in a Garmin folder) then put that SD card in your computer, Base Camp will access & use that map MUCH MUCH FASTER than from your GPS.

DR,

The SD solution may be a great option. I may need an SD reader for the iMAC. But I will check when I get home.

My old map is 2010.10 (CN NT). Ghee, I wonder if my old PC has the original download?? I still have the PC and I usually save everything. . .

That is good news about map updates. I didn't know that Basecamp would x-fer maps to GPS. I think folks were having issues x-fering maps to the SD (since software did not give them the option). But I will research more if I go that route.

Thanks for the great feedback!

Afternoon Eddy

There should be no issue in transferring maps to the SD card as it (SD card) should show up in the find GPS drop down box.

I guess I should add that before you spend much money on a lifetime map service for your Zumo you should probably do some research on the problems people are having in using the newest NT maps with BaseCamp on the older Zumos.

Garmin won't address that issue as they don't support the older Zumo's any longer so are suggesting the users of newer NT maps & older Zumos just switch back to using MapSource (that won't work on your Mac system)

Afternoon Eddy

I put this in a separate post so as not to confuse it with other posts above--

I'm not sure this will work on a Mac (you will have to research it)

But on a Windows PC there is a program that you can download called JaVaWa GMTK.

That program (if it works on the Mac) will allow you to use it on your old computer to find all the NT maps, then make a backup copy of the one that you choose, then move that backup to your new PC & install that backed up map to your new PC so BaseCamp can find & use it.

It works great on my Windows computers but have never tried it on a Mac.

Michaelr11

Eddy,

I just purchased a used Zumo 550 that did not have current maps.

I bought the Garmin lifetime maps for it. I got a 10% off code from Garmin when I registered the 550 in my name so it was worth it. A new 8GB SDHC card cost me less than $10. The North America maps will take a bit over 2 GB of space.

Garmin Express was used to download the latest map version to my PC (used the option for PC only). Then once it was installed om the PC I used Map Installer to load the gmapsupp.img file to the SD card.

Initially I had problems getting the transfer to the SD card to work. I read loads of stuff on the ZumoForums web site for the 550, and I posted there with my eventual success. Plug the Zumo into the USB slot with the SD slot empty, load the SD card into your PC card reader slot. This assumes you have an SD slot on your PC. Then run MapInstaller to load the maps to the SD Card. With the Zumo plugged in Map Installer will recognize that you have the unlocked maps for the Zumo loaded on the PC and it will load unlocked maps to the SD Card.

With the NA maps loaded on the SD you shouldn't need maps loaded on the Zumo itself which will leave you with lots of free space on the internal memory of the 550.

Evening Eddy

Before you spend a lot of money on new or lifetime maps for your Zumo 550 you really should use your current map & BaseCamp with the current map that you have to see if you get correct routes without errors & glitches.

The below is from a Garmin tec bulletin:

The following devices are NOT compatible with routing in BaseCamp:

•zumo 400 series

•zumo 500 and 550

•zumo 660 and 665

These devices may appear to take a route without issue; however, when navigating the route, an error message may appear. An alternate program to use is MapSource(1). First download the map to your computer, then use MapSource to create and transfer routes to your zumo.

(1)Mapsource is only available for Windows computers.

Michaelr11

For what it's worth - I have built and transferred my routes with Basecamp to my Zumo 550. I haven't experienced any problems with my routes.

One issue I have read about is there are occasionally some small locations on the maps that can cause Basecamp to crash if you try to place a route on those particular streets. This seems to be a very unusual issue and I don't know if Garmin has found the cause or solution other than making the particular map location an "avoidance area."

For what it's worth - I have built and transferred my routes with Basecamp to my Zumo 550. I haven't experienced any problems with my routes.

Evening Michaelr11

I said almost those exact same words UNTIL I updated to 2017.1.

I probably made a dozen healthy routes without any issues then I had a somewhat complex route crash about mid route.

Not a big deal but I make very solid routes & usually pre-run the routes in simulation mode before riding so I have very few if any routing failures (ever).

Then I had another (different) route quit & even re-booting the GPS & re-booting the route didn't help. I could ride it a short ways then it would put up an error then lock up again. I ended up switching to my back-up route & turning off 2017.1 & turning on my old 2015.2 map (I always put the latest map on my SD card then install my 5 state area from an older (good functioning) map on my GPS main drive as a "just in case")

I could get most routes using 2017.1 & 2017.2 to work as long as they were short & not very complex but I just couldn't trust the route to not fail after riding it for a couple of hours if it was complex & not on main roads.

I now just make the routes in BaseCamp then transfer back to my old MapSource 6.16.3 then re-calculate the route in MapSource, then send to my Z-550.

I'm not 100% sure that is the total answer but so far it seems to be working.

I also had some luck in breaking the routes up in smaller (75 mile) segments when only using BaseCamp then sending them to the GPS as XX_a, XX_b, XX_c, etc.

Obviously there must be some sort of problem if Garmin posted a "use MapSource work around" & Garmin tec help is telling Zumo users with routing issues to go back to MapSource.

Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as I could get some valid routes in a row then one would lock up (usually a longer route with complex routing requirements)

My riding friend had so many routing issues that he sold his Z-550 & bought a Montana 600.

Added: Unfortunately Eddy doesn't have the MapSource option as he is now on a Mac.

Gee, I am going to be busy. Lots of things to try.

So, I am wondering if the 2020.1 map, which was installed with Nuvi will compile a route properly. Then, plug in the zumo and download without re-calculating. Probably won't allow it.

Later tonight I plan to look into getting my old map from my old PC.

I'll let you know how it goes. . .

Gee, I am going to be busy. Lots of things to try.

So, I am wondering if the 2020.1 map, which was installed with Nuvi will compile a route properly. Then, plug in the zumo and download without re-calculating. Probably won't allow it.

Later tonight I plan to look into getting my old map from my old PC.

I'll let you know how it goes. . .

Morning Eddy

Your route will recalculate into your Zumo 550. That is one of the downfalls on the older Zumo's they all re-calculate a route into them.

That is also why the Montana 600/610 is so popular with us off-roaders as a route can be imported without the GPS re-calculating it in.

There is a MAC version of JaVaWa GMTK. You may need a Windows version also but they are free. http://www.javawa.nl/gmtk_en.html

Gee, I think that worked!

I am now seeing the old map and new map in Basecamp with no GPS attached. I'll fool with it a bit and see how it goes.

Thanks Railbender and DR!

Ed -

The below is from a Garmin tec bulletin:

The following devices are NOT compatible with routing in BaseCamp:

•zumo 400 series

•zumo 500 and 550

•zumo 660 and 665

These devices may appear to take a route without issue; however, when navigating the route, an error message may appear. An alternate program to use is MapSource(1). First download the map to your computer, then use MapSource to create and transfer routes to your zumo.

(1)Mapsource is only available for Windows computers.

Garmin finally replied to my mail about getting Garmin Express to copy over to Basecamp my old map. Apparently, my map is too old and they no longer have it available and that is why I was having issue. They did say that using Basecamp with Zumo connected should work. I replied asking about this Basecamp compatibility issue. I surely don't want to update the map if I will have more issues. Good advice to try out the system on some rides first.

Got this reply from Garmin about Zumo 550 compatibility with basecamp:

The Zumo 550 is not compatible with routing in BaseCamp. These devices may appear to take a route without issue; however, when navigating the route, an error message may appear. An alternate program to use is MapSource. First download the map to your computer, then use MapSource to create and transfer routes to your zumo. MapSource is only available for Windows computer.

It is looking more and more like I need a Zumo replacement. . .

Thanks for the heads up DR!

The Zumo 550 is not compatible with routing in BaseCamp. These devices may appear to take a route without issue; however, when navigating the route, an error message may appear. An alternate program to use is MapSource. First download the map to your computer, then use MapSource to create and transfer routes to your zumo. MapSource is only available for Windows computer.

Afternoon Eddy

It might be cheaper to keep the Z-550 & just find an old Windows computer to allow you to filter the routes through MapSource before loading to your Zumo. (is there anything for your Mac that allows running Windows programs?)

The Z-550 is still a good old GPS & one that I personally like for some of it's features.

My Zumo replacement has been the Montana 600 as that does road routes great as well as allows tracks to work off-road. I have been using my Montana more & more on road but still use the Z-550 enough to justify keeping it around.

Afternoon Eddy

It might be cheaper to keep the Z-550 & just find an old Windows computer to allow you to filter the routes through MapSource before loading to your Zumo. (is there anything for your Mac that allows running Windows programs?)

The Z-550 is still a good old GPS & one that I personally like for some of it's features.

My Zumo replacement has been the Montana 600 as that does road routes great as well as allows tracks to work off-road. I have been using my Montana more & more on road but still use the Z-550 enough to justify keeping it around.

I still have my old XP PC with mapsource and maps to match. So you are right, that would work (just slow). But when I say looking for a replacement, being an engineer, it could take a season or more! :grin:

I'll be trying some simple routes over the next week and see how they work out. Perhaps try a LONG route in the next month. I could load the same route with my old PC to be sure I have a successful ride. Donno. . . sure seems like I need a better way.

Afternoon Eddy

If you keep the routes somewhat short (like under 100 miles) & don't do a lot of crossovers or track backs then you probably won't have any routing issues.

One thing some of us Z-550 users have been trying with some success is to make a track from the BaseCamp route then importing that into the Z-550. The Z-550 can't use an imported track so turns it into a routable route. The only thing to watch is not to have a long track with too many points as the track will get truncated as it becomes a route so could lose some of the key via points on the last part of the route. (something to play with anyhow)

If you are still using an older map set you might not have any issues anyhow as I didn't see any Z-550 routing issues until after the 2015.4 NT maps.

Archived