IGNORED

2002 Radio Options

Toast

Hey now,

Recently purchased an 02 R1150RT which was previously wired with the factory radio kit (no radio in the box at present). What are my options for "plug and play" radios? Can I just go to Best Buy and plug anything in or is it more complicated that that? Any responses are appreciated. Ride safe!

Evening Toast

You can use about any 12v radio that will fit in the radio box but it won't just PLUG IN. You will have to trace the wire circuits then match to your radio inputs & outputs.

You will probably need a radio with remote controls or some sort of way to change volume & tuning with the radio buried in that radio box.

Plus you lose that nice storage compartment that the radio goes in.

Personally I always removed the factory radio & sold it as I could only hear it with the bike sitting still & I valued the radio box as a glove box way more than as a radio holder.

A smart phone and a Sena communicator is how I'd go in your situation. Pandora and any stored music on the phone can be piped right into your helmet. Without the pipe of course! :grin:

Pat

I am with Pat here. I do not have a Sena...yet, but I use an LG Bluetooth headset (the kind that has the neck wrap). It helps with the bike noise and allows for some music on the road. I only use my 06RT radio when I have my eldest daughter on the bike.

Greetings!

I added a marine radio and wired remote (attached to a ram mount on the handlebar) to my 03 RT when I first got it (new)....

...it's great when I'm changing the oil, pretty useless the rest of the time.

I now have a Schuberth S2 with their SRC system which gives me FM radio and I Bluetooth it to my Garmin 665 with XM radio.

I've been _very_ happy with this set up.

If you decide to wire a radio in, you can get a wiring harness for a BMW car (3 series, maybe. I don't remember off hand) that you can wire to the radio so that it just plugs in. If I had it to do again, I wouldn't bother.

Best regards!

Jim

John Bentall

Agree with the others.

Not only would you need the radio, you would also need a method of getting the sound to your helmet (and any passenger), since the speakers are useless above 40 mph.

For the $$$, there are more modern and effective solutions. Such as the GPS with integrated music player and weather maps.

I agree with Dirt Rider. I removed the radio from my RT and the lockable storage is nice to have. I pulled the whole thing and sold it along with the speakers. I covered the hole in the box with some plastic sheet from a cheap MX number plate. I glued it on with silicone RTV for a gasket and pop riveted it in place. Presto, a nice dry storage box. The power connector also gives you easy access to a 12v source for farkles.

The BMW Z4 car adaptor harness plugs right into the bike's harness, allowing the use of most radio fits. Be aware that CDs don't like operating vertically unless specifically designed to do so.

Andy

Ridgerunner

Now that you have one reply trying to help and five of no help. When I bought my 02 R1150RT the PO had installed a Sony radio. He purchased a wiring harness from Crutchfield to convert the wiring from the BMW Clarion connection to the Sony connection. There was no remote control for the radio, you had to open the door and use the radio like you would in a car. I use my motorcycle for several charity events, Atlanta 2 Day Breast Cancer Walk, Kommen 3 Day Walk for Breast Cancer, and charity bicycle rides and runs. The radio comes in very handy for keeping the walkers, runners, and riders entertained. I purchased a marine wired remote that I attached to the cover over the instruments. The radio is a cassette radio so I use a wired cassette that plugs into an mp3 player. The FM and AM section of the radio no longer work so I'm looking for a replacement radio that will work with the wired remote. Not sure I can as this is all 14 year old technology. Hope this helps

Thanks everyone for your responses. My R1100RT didn't have the radio either, and I agree that the glovebox was awful handy. I probably will just use it as such on this 1150. I definitely drive over 40 mph, so if I can't hear it anyways, what's the point? Keep the rubber down!

Thanks everyone for your responses. My R1100RT didn't have the radio either, and I agree that the glovebox was awful handy. I probably will just use it as such on this 1150. I definitely drive over 40 mph, so if I can't hear it anyways, what's the point? Keep the rubber down!

Afternoon Toast

You can hear it when going over 40 mph you just can't understand the lyrics or keep up with the music or words. (kind of sounds like a can full of bees at speed)

Per the above I guess it will be OK if you walk your bike around or ride at a walking speed.

At one time a motorcycle radio was a status thing but in today's electronic age it seems streaming the radio or music into your helmet is usually a better option to be able hear & understand the music & words.

Archived