IGNORED

Tank Bag Tether

realshelby

I recently bought a fuel cap ring tank bag for the RT. Never had one like that, others were held with straps. Seems the ring mount bags come with the recommendation they be secured with a tether to the bike. The strap that comes with the Givi bag I bought ( 3D 604 ) is meant to be a shoulder strap as well as the tether. Well, shoulder strap it is, but a tether application means you have a big wad of loose webbing flopping around in the wind. So......

I took some parachute cord, shrink wrap, wire ties, and a spring loaded clip and made a proper tether. This allows full range of bar movement. When bars are straight the cord does not touch the tank. Easy to do one end as you remove the bag from the tank. It is small enough that I can leave it attached to the bag and carry it in with me. MUCH easier to deal with. Not sure if I would have kept using the shoulder strap for a tether. I keep my wallet, tablet, phone, camera, and other stuff in the bag. Really don't want it to come loose and get lost!

DSC01932_zpso4o34zza.jpg

DSC01931_zpsoprw7q3v.jpg

DSC01934_zpsjf1nyoix.jpg

DSC01935_zpspm556uly.jpg

Bill_Walker

Nice job! My old Marsee magnetic tank bag came with a single-purpose tether. It was just a short stretch of webbing with a loop in it to loop over the bars, and a quick-release plastic buckle to connect it to the bag. It was quite convenient. It also came with a separate shoulder strap. I'm surprised the Givi tries to make one strap do double duty.

terryofperry

Thanks Shelby, from the first set of photos it looked as though the D rings on the tank bag were to the front of the bike (handlebars). And they may be on the 3D604 or it may be the angle of the photo or more likely my old eyes. I have the 3D603 and the D rings are to the rear of the bag (rider's seat). Now I see what you did.

Bill, it may have to do with the model of bike, the type of bars or the size of the tank bag whether the tank bag tether/shoulder strap works or not. My shoulder strap does very well doing double duty as a tether with the 3D603 (much smaller bag) mounted on a GSA.

IMG_3356.jpg

IMG_3357.jpg

IMG_3358.jpg

Terry

It has the single D ring on the front ( handlebar end ) and double D rings on the rear on either side of the grab handle for the shoulder straps. So 3 total D rings. I just didn't want the straps flopping around on the tank and scratching it.

Archived