IGNORED

CCW Holster

Medic Mike

To preface the above subject line, this is not to open the discussion on concealed weapons. The end result is to get some opinions on CCW holsters for riding. Currently I keep my weapon in either my trunk or right saddle bag. I would prefer to actually have it on me, but have not been able to find anything decent to do so. A shoulder system comes to mind, but I worry about it interfering with ventilation in the summer (I have a mesh armored jacket). Also most shoulder systems (least the ones I have seen) work best when secured to pants via a belt (I use Olympia mesh armored pants), so no belt really. I am assuming I am not the only rider here who carries on the road. I have a Walther CCP 9mm (this is my main carry weapon) as well as a Kimber Pro Carry .45. Any suggestions I am more than open to.

Thanks in advance everyone

Mike

Good topic Mike. DR, If you don't mind, could you copy on your response. I too am a CCW holder and would like to investigate holster options.

FWIW, I wear a BMW mesh jacket in the summer (about three weeks in MI), First Gear Kiliminjaro the rest of the year.

Regards,

RPG

RPG:

The consensus is Tank bag. Lots of ways to attach a holster, etc to them. I do not have one yet....might have to. I am also pondering removing my factory radio (I do not use it anyways) and possibly installing a holster there as well.....anyone else try this?

Hey Mike/DR...if you have a great idea please PM me too if you don't mind. I will tell you what I have tried. I have tried with a belt holster, a shoulder holster, and a waistband holster.

In all cases I've found my Kimber 45 too much weight and size. So like you a 9. I carry mine in tank bag. If off the bike tank bag comes with me even if I am just walking over to another bike to say hi...no exceptions

Just curious as to why you think you need to wear your weapon on your motorcycle. I'd be concerned as to damage to either weapon or body in the event of crash.

Why not ask a LEO what they would do?

MB>

MB:

Without getting into the geopolitical landscape of your question, I will do what I can to answer your question.

In the event of a crash, my weapon will not more of an issue than the glass, metal, plastic and whatever else is involved in the event. To put it another way...my weapon will be the least of my worries, issues and creator of harm than the event that put me in that situation.

I have asked my local LEO. I wanted to see what the rest of is were able to come up with. Compare notes and see what might work best.

Sky:

There seems to be a mix bag. In the end, everyone agrees...body carry is nearly impossible most of the time. Tank bag seems to be the most utilized, yet also everyone agrees they would prefer something that can have better control/accountability. I am really pondering the radio removal option...still trying to figure out the logistics.

MB:

Without getting into the geopolitical landscape of your question, I will do what I can to answer your question.

In the event of a crash, my weapon will not more of an issue than the glass, metal, plastic and whatever else is involved in the event. To put it another way...my weapon will be the least of my worries, issues and creator of harm than the event that put me in that situation.

I have asked my local LEO. I wanted to see what the rest of is were able to come up with. Compare notes and see what might work best.

This looks good. Though it's not a CCW... :/

0000_Mad_Dog_Handgun_Mount_--.jpg

MB:

Pretty confident that the weapon wouldn't hurt you in a crash?

I was thinking damaged internals, broken ribs etc... But if you still feel that the need to carry your weapon outweighs the damage it may do, then by all means carry it. The point I was getting at is why. Why compromise your safety when you have the control to do so.

MB>

In an effort to put this to sleep...it has saved me 3 times. Once it was my daughter and I. More than enough said.

In an effort to put this to sleep...it has saved me 3 times. Once it was my daughter and I. More than enough said.

Put what to sleep? The OP, Medic Mike, started the thread with this:

To preface the above subject line, this is not to open the discussion on concealed weapons.

But...since you brought it up I was just wondering outloud...

Since this is a motorcycle forum, and people are discussing carrying while riding their motorcycles, and you mentioned being saved three times...

I'm thinking you might want to consider finding better routes when riding your BMW motorcycle. :lurk:

Let's see... Better routes for a man on a GS.... Would that involve carrying a hunting rifle on his GS?

Anyone have ideas on a rifle carrier?

Oh wait, sorry. That's a thread hijack.

:rofl:

Carry on. :wave:;)

MB>

I've heard some folks keep a .380 in their jacket, a 9mm in the tank bag, and a folding stock AR in the topcase.

Just rumors I'm sure.

After opting for the tank bag method, then recalling about two sips into my Coke at a restaurant that the tank bag was still on my RT, I went back to pocket carry.

Yes, there's a slight chance that it might poke into my thigh if I should find myself sliding down the pavement, but I am not going to risk that kind of a brain fart again. It was entirely a result of departing from my consistent practice, which in the world of guns is a recipe for bad things to happen. For me, it's either the old pocket or a locked case.

Here is my running idea...let me know what you all think:

Remove my stock factory radio (again, I do not use it) and all the wiring. Then buy some velcro that is about 3 inches wide and 4 inches long and stick that onto the side of the box that held the radio (facing the outside). Then, find a decent holster, apply the velcro there then place inside radio box. It is much easier to reach while on the machine, it also has a lock. This is all theoretical right now. As some of you have seen with my Epic Ride Thread, I tend to miss the finer points of things.

On a side note, I actually had that discussion with my other half about adding an AR mount to my bike. I was told no...was able to barter a Sena Duo unit instead. :-)

Medic Mike...I don't know your particular year model. Prior to my wet head I had the oil head that had a lockable box on the left side up front. My bike didn't come with a radio so the box was open. I use to keep my device right there with it locked. I kept the key in it in case I needed to open it. I had a simple piece of kite string tied on that box key to my ignition key. That meant I could not take my ignition key with me and accidentally leave the key in the box such that anyone could open it.

Thank goodness, knock on wood, I never needed to open it, but I could have if necessary. I kept it in and still do a Galco paddle holster.

If you won't miss your radio, it is a fine alternative in my opinion. JUST DONT FORGET...A locked box that you have to take your key out of the ignition should you need it is not practicle, and more important you have to have some way to insure without fail you do not leave the key in it if you aren't on it. Don't think you won't forget because you will. That's why I did the string thing.

Sky, 2006 R1200RT is what I have. I love the string idea. First thing that came to mind was the retention cords I used the Army for my NVG's and Optic.

Beemer Dood

Retired LEO here. If I'm wearing just my jacket (meaning regular pants or jeans) it's in an IWB holster. If I'm wearing my riding pants it's in the thigh pocket. If I take the pants off to go into a restaurant or the like, it goes back into the IWB holster.

Beemer:

So, you leave the IWB holster on the whole time, just remove the weapon and place where you want it for riding? May I ask who made your IWB? I have a Comp-Tac Infidel. It is ok, but it needs a belt to really work as designed. I am probably going to have to get one with a clip it sounds.

Thank you

Mike

Squirrel:

First...love the avatar!

Have you tried/used one of these? It look promising, good price and very versatile.

Mike, thanks for opening this discussion. I too have been thinking about this issue, and trying to come up with a hard mounting option. (Tank bag may have to work.) I wonder if anyone has had any success with a particular style, cut, or make of a riding,(crash)jacket, with well designed, concealed carry chest pockets?

Many good options:

For an RT, RAM makes a Kydex holster for a Glock 17/26/27. That one can mount inside the glovebox.

First Gear Kilimimjaro and their old Leather jackets (Scout etc) have a satin lined pocket mounted under the zipper flap on the chest that's perfect. The satin type material is snag free.

DeSantis SuperFly pocket holsters are great for sub compacts such as a Kahr PM9. Covering all controls.

5.11 and others make holster shirts with easy access pockets.

I ride with a retired LEO who uses a ankle holster that is invisible with ankle length boots and black socks.

He tried a small of the back IWB but it failed a couple times when his summer jacket flipped up in turbulence . I motioned him over as it was in clear view . Oops !

I generally don't carry on the bike but could. When I have carried the weight of the weapon drags my pants down on the side I have the gun holstered on when I'm walking around. Slight hijack, but does anyone have a solution for this short of "old Man" suspenders?

Suspenders are where its at.

:Cool:

Handles that issue and if your pants aren't zipped to your jacket, can help keep them in play if you have an accident.

Not to forget they move you to the top of the style list.

I have one like below for the compact M9, works fine. Under a jacket, it stays put and no need to hook to a belt.

JACKASS_b.jpg

I use a a elastic band, attaches with velcro. The holster is preformed plastic to fit my pistol, MP Shield, 40 cal. Also two magazine slots on the opposite side. I wore this under my Badlands pants on a two week trip. It was comfortable and somewhat accessible. I have used a pouch mounted between the handle bar forks. 9 mm came out when at a toll booth in WV. I keep toll $ in the bag. Lady booth operator reached over and said I will hold this for you while you get the toll $. Only in WV! I want the weapon on me if case I am separated from the bike. Same as cell phone. Plus you don't have to remember to get it off the bike when stopped. http://www.activeprogear.com/index.html this site has several options.

... 9 mm came out when at a toll booth in WV. I keep toll $ in the bag. Lady booth operator reached over and said I will hold this for you while you get the toll $. Only in WV!

[OT]After last weeks' major flooding in WV, the local sheriff was interviewed for a TV news story about looting. He made it a point to state that area residents were armed and that those found looting may not make it to the jail.(second video) :thumbsup::[/OT]

Beemer Dood
Beemer:

So, you leave the IWB holster on the whole time, just remove the weapon and place where you want it for riding? May I ask who made your IWB? I have a Comp-Tac Infidel. It is ok, but it needs a belt to really work as designed. I am probably going to have to get one with a clip it sounds.

Thank you

Mike

Mike my holster is a Gordon Davis 455C. I bought a bunch of them before he passed and this is my last one. Fortunately one of his students, Dave Cox is carrying on his work with the original designs, so you can still get this holster. He's operating under the name "Davis Leather Company," http://davisleathercompany.com/. I've worn one off−duty for decades. Usually after 5-6 years the pressure of the trigger guard pressing against my body has it cutting through the leather. Even though it's not necessary, that's when I replace it.

The holster has a steel reinforced ring that holds the holster open when the gun is drawn. I'm one of those who prefers that the holster stay open so I can reholster the gun when the situation is stabilized.

When I'm riding I just place the gun in the thigh pocket of my Motoport Mesh pants. When I want to take the pants off at a stop I just replace the gun in the holster that's still IWB. I've been wearing it for so long, I don't notice it any more.

If you get holster that uses a clip to secure it, make darn sure that the clip is of the highest quality. The clips that Gordon used and that Dave is now using, I've worn with a bathing suit that had nothing but a string waist tie. The clip grabbed the string to prevent it coming out with the gun. I've seen cheap clips that needed a substantial belt to allow the holster to stay put. I recall working with an officer who had purchased an off−brand cheap IWB holster. He drew his gun on a crook and the holster came along with it. I LOL'd as did the crook.

A few things to ponder... You want to be able to retrieve said weapon very quickly and accurately without delay. You want the weapon hidden from public eye as to resist causing alarm or panic from the sheep and to maintain the element of surprise when and if, the wolf comes howling. People speak of comfort and convenience, I ask, how comfortable and convenient is becoming a victim? You will be amazed how comfortable a holster gets as your wear it. Having the weapon on your person is going to be the best thing vs vehicle mount. This goes for bike or cage. You may be separated from vehicle and then feel the need to engage. This comes from someone who carries everywhere except the shower.

Medic Mike

Jr:

I agree with 57, well said. In my cage I utilize the said Comp-Tac for my Walther. The Kimber is just too darn heavy for me, since I have a small frame. Once I find a holster, I plan on heading to the range for some muscle memory training, as best as I can standing and drawing with my gear on. Will look a little weird standing on a range with AGATT, but Train and You Fight was beaten into my head a few moons ago.

Beemer: Thanks for the info, I remember a long time ago looking at those holsters, but I was young and broke. Now I am older and still broke, but try to utilize the finds I have for the best products for the job(s).

One of the issues I have is that I bought a weapon that still has very little in way of holsters. There are things out there for the Walther CCP, just nothing that seems to work...yet. Now that I have a few more ideas and companies I can start the search again. Still pondering on an AR15 mount....why...because I can. Though I think it will clash with the red paint job on my bike.

A few things to ponder... You want to be able to retrieve said weapon very quickly and accurately without delay. You want the weapon hidden from public eye as to resist causing alarm or panic from the sheep and to maintain the element of surprise when and if, the wolf comes howling. People speak of comfort and convenience, I ask, how comfortable and convenient is becoming a victim? You will be amazed how comfortable a holster gets as your wear it. Having the weapon on your person is going to be the best thing vs vehicle mount. This goes for bike or cage. You may be separated from vehicle and then feel the need to engage. This comes from someone who carries everywhere except the shower.

psycho-1960-wallpapers-poster-6.jpg

Hmmmmm...

szurszewski

Tallman - I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to let on what a smartass I was; thanks for doing it for me :)

...so, what's your bathing rig? Seems like one of those suspender type shoulder rigs would be called for...

Regarding suspenders.

I wear "trucker suspenders" no clips in the back to chew up the wifes leather upholstery on her Yukon (again)

These I can wear over my first layer or even over bare skin as any shirt hides them .

Very handy if you are carrying a weapon or not to keep your britches up.

I use the ones about 1-1.25" wide. The super wide ones are overkill.

Tallman - I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to let on what a smartass I was; thanks for doing it for me :)

...so, what's your bathing rig? Seems like one of those suspender type shoulder rigs would be called for...

100 pound Anatolian keeps order.

If he alerts when I'm in the shower there is a solution within arm's reach.

In the pool, similar arrangement.

I often carry a small revolver in my right Stich coat pocket. It makes the jacket a little heavy on the right side, but I wonder if the pocket lining will hold up to this use over time. Any thoughts about keeping a S&W 686 in the tank bag? That's a medium frame revolver in .357 magnum.

Larry

Patallaire

These posts always fascinate me. In all the years of having a weapon on you, aside from the professionals, has anyone actually felt compelled to un-holster said weapon in a "situation"? I always wonder, and I don't want to hear the philosophy of "Just in Case" or I almost had to, or I might have if. I want to hear an actual almost life changing incident where you felt justified and it actually was a good thing that you had it on you. Had it not been for the pistol, you would not have been here today.

I was in a gun shop and the paranoia in that shop was almost scary, everyone was carrying, they told stories of having guns in every corner of the house, under the toilet lid, two in the bedroom with back-up shotguns. It just struck me, and I have weapons, that this had reached a point of crazy. So I wondered with all the gun conversations here, has anyone actually had a real world experience?

terryofperry
These posts always fascinate me. In all the years of having a weapon on you, aside from the professionals, has anyone actually felt compelled to un-holster said weapon in a "situation"? I always wonder, and I don't want to hear the philosophy of "Just in Case" or I almost had to, or I might have if. I want to hear an actual almost life changing incident where you felt justified and it actually was a good thing that you had it on you. Had it not been for the pistol, you would not have been here today.

I was in a gun shop and the paranoia in that shop was almost scary, everyone was carrying, they told stories of having guns in every corner of the house, under the toilet lid, two in the bedroom with back-up shotguns. It just struck me, and I have weapons, that this had reached a point of crazy. So I wondered with all the gun conversations here, has anyone actually had a real world experience?

Based on Mike's first sentence I'm not sure he wanted to go in this direction Pat. Maybe so though, not speaking for him.

Terry

It can happen. And victimhood is not an attractive option for many free men and women. There is a sense that authority and respect for the law are declining and that society is drifting into, should we say, anarchy? I think in some places it is already there. 36 people were shot in Chicago over the July 4th weekend. In the aforementioned gun shop scenario I think there is an excess of testosterone coursing around, braggadocio. I know what Pat is saying and have experienced it myself. But underlying that there is a determination not to be victimized.

I think the OP's question has been answered and we're moving into a different arena, so we're closing this one down.

Thanks to all for keeping the thread on target (pun intended) for as long as you did. In the future--and I think I speak for all the Admins--it would be a better practice to voice concerns on the topic by starting a new discussion in "Other Topics." Generally, I'd just delete comments that are off-topic to the extent that the last couple were, but since (I think) the topic has been exhausted, we'll just close the door for now.

I do want to add this: The original topic was completely legitimate and within our guidelines. If the question hasn't been answered to the OP's satisfaction, he's free to ask again in another thread. Sometimes, however, it's best to stop beating a dead horse and just go ride . . . with or without your six-shooter.

Thanks, y'all.

Archived