IGNORED

How Much HD Action Camera Can ~$40 Buy Me?

moshe_levy

Moto Mouth Moshe Episode #5 is live! This video deals with the Emerson EVC455 Actioncam HD camera - about 10% the price of a Go Pro. Good enough for your commute? Let me know what you think....

Motion is, as you see, very choppy. Waterproof is fine as long as it's within the case. Personally, for an extra couple of bucks, I would spring for something more modern. Remember, this is 2 years old now, and I just wanted to show how the cheapest camera out there actually performs and held up after awhile in the commute.

-MKL

Since you tested the 455 model, Emerson has come out with a 555 and a 655. I can't find anywhere on the internet where they say they've added image stabilization. So while there may be a feature or two that's new, your review of a 2-y/o camera is still valid as a representation of what the company offers.

Nice work.

Looks like the "motion" may be in the mount, as in camera shake.

The mount is critical. Its about harmonic vibration. As you may have heard, there seem to be vibrations associated with some brands of motorcycles. Well, there are "unconfirmed reports" of vibrations.

These alleged vibrations could come from a variety of sources, engine (naaaaw), wheels (ever lost a wheel weight??), roadway bumps and joints, wind, etc.

Then there are the mounts; handlebar, windscreen, fairing, helmet. Each of these has its own set of vibes (and harmonics). Then on that, you mount a pod on a stalk (camera and mount) and think we're gonna make movies. Try adding weight to the cam, sometimes a little, sometimes a lot, is required to overcome all this shakin' an' bumpin'.

Very informative. It seems to me that one might be better off looking for a used GoPro. There's an abundance of used electronic gear available.

moshe_levy

Absolutely. And remember, this cam was originally tested almost 2 years ago. It's still available, but the market has much better offerings for low prices now....

-MKL

moshe_levy
Looks like the "motion" may be in the mount, as in camera shake.

The mount is critical. Its about harmonic vibration. As you may have heard, there seem to be vibrations associated with some brands of motorcycles. Well, there are "unconfirmed reports" of vibrations.

These alleged vibrations could come from a variety of sources, engine (naaaaw), wheels (ever lost a wheel weight??), roadway bumps and joints, wind, etc.

Then there are the mounts; handlebar, windscreen, fairing, helmet. Each of these has its own set of vibes (and harmonics). Then on that, you mount a pod on a stalk (camera and mount) and think we're gonna make movies. Try adding weight to the cam, sometimes a little, sometimes a lot, is required to overcome all this shakin' an' bumpin'.

Good point.

Archived