IGNORED

Suggestions for "comfortable" riding pants

Knobby10

I have, I think, all the options for riding pants but none of them are what I call all day comfortable. My "man parts" seem to get "crowded" on my new RT which leaves me thinking there has to be a better option(s). I do like the seat so I don't want to consider that option right now. What are you wearing?

I delayed buying a pair of BMW "Summer Pants II"... for a very long time. I finally bit the bullet and have never ridden without those pants again. Must be 4 or 5 years by now.

They offer protection, convenience and I find them comfortable.

I do not know what the current version is, but I recommend them.

+1 on the Summer Pants 2. I bought mine lightly used on Ebay years ago and have been my goto riding pants anytime I'm not commuting. I've been thinking about replacing the armor sometime soon as the original stuff has gotten really stiff over the years, but other than that....they have been great.

What are you wearing currently?

Another thing to note, is what are you wearing under them? When I travel, I wear lightweight breathable athletic underwear (something like Underarmor) with no seams in the butt area. They allow plenty of flexibility and airflow to keep things regulated. Stay away from cotton anything

My Motoport Ultra Air II, are the best pants I've owned. Comfortable, fast on/off, good armor.

Send them your measurements, and watch the mail.

My Motoport Ultra Air II, are the best pants I've owned. Comfortable, fast on/off, good armor.

+1

Combined with the LD Comfort shorts, I can ride all day.

moshe_levy

+1

Combined with the LD Comfort shorts, I can ride all day.

+1 - I will have a video review of mine up soon, now that's they're almost 5 years old!

-MKL

LDComfort base layer year round.

BMW Summer 2 pants(think they are now Summer 3's at dealership)

Olympia Xmoto pants or Olympia Bushwacker(both now updated to newer models)pants for 3 season use(anything in their current "Transition" gear line up)

Firstgear HT overpants for the nasty weather.

JR356

If the your pants were OK on your previous bike, then either you have changed to a new size or the seating position is not working for you. I've not seen the seat mounts for the wethead, but you might try lowering the rear or raising the front, moving your butt forward/back, or keeping your toes on the pegs. If you are pressing against the tank, maybe bar backs are needed.

Knobby, I agree with what several people have suggested. For me, it all starts with the base layers. I used to think LD comfort was just an "over priced" set of underwear. Then I bought a pair, then another, then another. I am a huge LD comfort fan. As for riding pants, I wear Klim Overland pants which are waterproof and wear them all year round. But to me, a good base is the most important..for that go with LD comfort and you can't go wrong.

For those of you with summer pants - are you wearing the khaki pants or the dark pants? base layer/Liner under? I ask because I have 2 pairs of summer pants. For me, The khaki's need a base layer due to the itchiness of the fabric while the dark material pants don't, but aren't as cool/breathable.

I have a set of Aerostich "utility" pants on the way for review. I'll let you know how they work out.

-MKL

Dave, I have the Tan Summer Pants II... I sometimes wear base layers depending on the weather and season.

When it is cold, I wear black, long, leggings with sort of elastic cuffs around the ankles and waist. No itch.

When it is hot, I do not wear leggings... Still no itch.

FWIW I do not consider myself all that immune to itchiness... in fact my skin is pretty sensitive.

I like the armor at the hips and knees... the pockets are numerous and right where they are needed. There is a zipper around the back in case you have gear to join to it. They do get dirty down around the boot area and bottoms... but that is road spray. It washes out.

After a long day's ride and you want to take a walk down to the restaurant... just zip off the lower legs... instant shorts. No problem.

I do spray them every year or so with a water proofing spray. It works.

For several years I delayed, thinking paying $200 for pants was just barely short of insane. One day I just said "screw it" and did the deed. The days/weeks/years delay was instantly regretted. I actually wore them from the dealer after swapping out my jeans.

In my opinion They are comfortable and well worth the cost.

Like anything your actual mileage may vary, but I love them.

Hopz - Thanks! I had my Khaki BMW summer pants taken in and I guess in the process the tags disappeared. I'm guessing this pair must be "Summer 1" pants. My dark pair are 'Summer 2' and have better armor.

I agree Summer pants are comfortable - the Khaki pants I prefer in hot weather because they breath better than the black pants, but my version has itchy fabric. And you're right, it's great having the option to unzip and remove the lower leggings (unless if you have a base layer on).

Time to replace them with an updated pair!

Knobby10, thanks for the insightful topic.

For those of you with summer pants - are you wearing the khaki pants or the dark pants? base layer/Liner under? I ask because I have 2 pairs of summer pants. For me, The khaki's need a base layer due to the itchiness of the fabric while the dark material pants don't, but aren't as cool/breathable.

Mine are the khaki colored ones. When I'm traveling, The only thing I wear under them is synthetic boxer briefs and wool blend socks that come up over my calf (I wear tall dual sport boots when traveling). I'll ride that combo anywhere from 60 degrees to 120 degrees. If for some reason it gets cooler than that, I throw my rain pants on over them. I can't say I've ever noticed any itchyness, but the only places that my skin would come in contact with the pants material would be the middle of my thigh. They certainly aren't plush and comfy, but I've never considered putting an extra layer on just for comfort.

Archived