IGNORED

Motoport Air Mesh Kevlar Overpants Review

moshe_levy

Hello All-

My new review focuses on Motoport's Air Mesh Kevlar Overpants, originally tested for the June 2012 issue of Motorcycle Consumer News. These pants are a substantial investment, so I put this together so you can see how they've held up after years of abuse!

-MKL

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Have to agree. 5 years on mine as well.

I would add that the kevlar mesh can abrade the clear coat on plastic parts as well as the edge beading on leather seats. Small price to pay. I added stretch kevlar in the seat to minimize and control the seat abrading.

Interesting. I haven't seen wear on my seats (which on my last two RTs have been BMS leather.)

-MKL

szurszewski

I noticed some wear on my Corbin seat as well, though I can't swear it's from the Motoport pants and wouldn't have worn like that anyway (I bought the seat used but looking new in 2006, but didn't notice much wear until I got the Motorport pants in 2012).

Moshe - my experience is the same (though I'm sure I have far fewer hours and miles on mine than you have on yours) and the pants still look new EXCEPT the inside lining in the calf area. I can see the same thing in your video at 1:49. Oddly, the pilling of the lining happened almost right away and doesn't seem to have become any worse (though I was worried at first that the lining wasn't going to last long at all). I'm not sure if it's from rubbing on the boot backs while riding or rubbing the boot heels against the lining while putting the pants on (though I try not to do that - rub my heels along the inside of the pants).

Yes - I didn't count that as "wear" since, like you, I noticed it within 2 weeks, got worried, and here we are 5 years later with absolutely no difference. I'm guessing it's the boots going in and out - I'm not gentle with mine as you can see.

-MKL

I have two Aerostich suits, some good Olympia gear, and the Motoport Mesh Kevlar 3/4 jacket and pants.

There is no comparison to the armor. If I have to fall off the bike, I want to be in the Motoport gear!

Stylish the Motoport is not. Brute force function and protection. Best zippers and snaps I have ever used. Even though they are mesh, I will say they don't move a LOT of air through them compared to some other mesh gear.

The liners that you can buy with this gear are first class. Very easy to fit to the pants/jacket and do not move around when putting the gear on or off. It is also the only rain gear that I have used that is 100% waterproof in long wet rides!

My Motoport gear is probably 7-8 years old. Wash it and it would be hard to tell from new. Rear reflective patch is showing a bit of age, but not bad. Easy to have this replaced down the road. Did I mention you simply zip up the zippers and fasten all snaps and belt and throw these in the washing machine, no need to remove the armor!

Interesting sales technique for them as well. Kind of ala cart method. $404 for the pants but if you want protection padding the price keeps going up.

szurszewski

I appreciated the à la carte pricing when I bought my pants from them. It made it so I could actually afford them! I got the basic setup with the Tri armor, which is still by far more substantial than any armor in any of my other stuff, and I also skipped the rain liner knowing I could get one later (and I just did - on ADV for half price - hopefully it fits).

I was going to skip the hip armor as well, but when my place came up in the production wait list, they had a pair on the rack that only needed minor alteration to meet my measurements, and since that pair already had hip armor i got it for free.

I somehow found a jacket this winter on ADV as well that was an exact match for my dimensions and came with the rain liner for $200. I think it's at least several years old, but other than not being the color I would have picked, it looks like I ordered it yesterday - no wear (and I think I might be the third owner),

Good stuff.

I'm on my 12th season with my Motoport Air Mesh Kevlar pants and my 9th season for my jacket. The pants show some wear but I would expect that after 12 years.

Blind Squirrel
I'm on my 12th season with my Motoport Air Mesh Kevlar pants and my 9th season for my jacket. The pants show some wear but I would expect that after 12 years.

The great thing is that Motoport will make any alterations/repairs you want/need for a reasonable price. These things really are riding gear for life.

Beemer Dood

I've commented on this elsewhere that you've posted the review, might as well do it here too.

Great review Moshe. Thanks.

Readers should be aware that while you show putting the pants on with the zipper on the right leg fastened towards the top of the leg, it can be undone completely. You have to step through two "leg holes," one for each leg, similar to putting on conventional pants, except the legs are open so they're not tight around your boots. To do that I have to either sit down or find something sturdy to lean against. I've always had poor balance and it hasn't gotten any better with age and injuries.

I completely unzip the right leg and then I only have to step through "one leg hole," the left leg. Then I wrap the seat of the pants around my butt, fasten the two halves of the zipper together at the waist and zip it down. When I'm done zipping the right leg, I'm bent over, so I just reach over and zip the left leg down.

I recommend the suspenders, it lets me keep the waist very loose so it doesn't constrict while I'm riding.

I have used the stretch version of these pants for the last 10 years, about 80,000 miles. Only repair was a zipper replacement connecting the pants to the waist cut jacket. Great pants, my only complaint is the knee armor does not align with my knees unless I twist the lower pant leg in and crank down the Velcro at the ankle to hold it in place. Otherwise very happy with them. I also have the mesh jacket, and prefer the stretch over the mesh as I find it much more comfortable.

I had a Motoport Cordura Canyon II jacket that I used well past it's expiration date (meaning it was torn and very stained). Other than my race leathers, it was my favorite piece of gear. I'm recharging the bank account for a set of Motoport pants this fall.

Archived