IGNORED

Zumo 395 vs 595

Medic Mike

I know the GPS topic is a horse that keeps getting beat, and for that I apologies in advance. I am going to be getting a GPS before the FART in Sept and I am looking to see everyone's opinion on them. I am leaning heavily towards the Zumo 395LM, mainly due to cost, but many of the 595 features I really cannot see myself using, thus I am having a hard time justifying the extra expense of the 595. I know the 595 has a larger screen (4.25 for the 595 and 3.7 for the 395) but that is marginal for me. I really do not see the need for the helmet law alert, since I always wear one. The weather is a nice feature, but if I reading that correctly I need to pay for a subscription to utilize that feature. In the end, is the 595 really worth the extra $300, or should I just dive in and get the Nav 5? If I am going to drop a grand on a GPS and extras, should i get one designed for my bike?

Thanks everyone

Mike

areyouolsen

I have a nuvi plugged onto my bike. Includes traffic, which is beneficial to me in SoCal. I keep a clear baggie in my case in the event of inclement weather and it's been going strong for three years. Cost me $75. Usable with gloves on and bright enough to see in direct sunlight (my bike display will wash out in sun before the GPS does)

Stan Walker

The weather is a nice feature, but if I reading that correctly I need to pay for a subscription to utilize that feature

Weather and traffic are both one time fees and not very much money for either one. For that you get displayed weather maps on your GPS that are updated every few minutes. It's a really neat feature! I won't leave home on a long motorcycle trip without it. It's main limitation is that you must have cell phone coverage and a smartphone that supports the app. It's the main reason I retired my 276C and upgraded to the Zumo 590LM (predecessor to the 595).

One observation about the 595 vs. 395. The mount and cabling are quite different. It took a little thinking on my part to figure out what to do with all the unused cables for my 590. In the end the unused ones are laying in the bottom of my glove box on the RT. Similar problem on my F800GT but was easier to hide. I do like the fact that the Zumo 590LM provides a direct power link to my iPhone since it's in constant use for the weather while riding.

Stan

Thank you Stan and Areyouolsen. The traffic thing does not really matter much down here in NC and where I do most of my traveling is not usually heavily traveled. I like the weather feature on the 595... I've survived this may years without it. I have seen a few comments on Amazon about the extra cables for the 595. From what I have been able to deduce, those extra ones are for side buttons, like the ones for the Nav V, but then again I could be way off base. Anyone here have any experience with the 395?

Areyouolsen:

How do you power your Nuvi? Also, what kind of RAM mount are you using? I have one of the nice aluminum with a circular movable disk in between my handle bars. Also, what model Nuvi are you using if I may inquire?

Thanks everyone

Mike

Stan Walker

those extra ones are for side buttons, like the ones for the Nav V, but then again I could be way off base

There are 5 cables coming off the Garmin mount. Audio out, audio in, microphone, powered USB (used for my cell phone), and fused power for the GPS (8-28 volts DC).

Archived