IGNORED

Spare key

temesvar

Am surprised to see that the almighty BMW supplies only one key

for the bike. I never even tried that plastic thing that looks like key...really?

Is it that costly to deliver the bike with two keys?

My question here is, anybody has duplicated the key, and is the dealer

the only one that can do it? And at what cost? Just like most of us, i would

like to have a spare key with me, at all times.

I bought a spare regular key $65, and a spare plastic one ($45). BMW has them based on VIN number. Probably the cheapest part on the bike!!!😀

I bought my 1996 RT 5 years ago from a private individual. He only had 1 key. I went down to the local dealer and bought 3 blanks (I don't remember how much, but it wasn't exorbitant). Went to Lowe's and had the blanks cut for $1.00 each. They work quite well.

Tony

Am surprised to see that the almighty BMW supplies only one key

for the bike.

Morning Temesvr

As imported your 2008 came with one metal key & one plastic key. Sometime in that era BMW came out with a new policy that the dealer should supply 2 metal keys & one plastic BUT, in most cases the customer had to ask for the 2nd metal key as the dealer kept the 2nd metal key as a backup.

If you bought the bike new you might ask the selling dealer IF they still have a 2nd metal key for your bike.

My 2009RT came with one metal key & one plastic key but I was given the 2nd metal key when I asked what happened to the 2nd metal key. (I'm not exactly sure when the 2 metal key policy went into effect)

--I think I have a Service Bulletin on that but can't find it at the moment.

Personally I like the plastic key as it is easily hidden on the bike in case the main key is lost, plus the plastic key doesn't corrode if tie strapped up under the bike somewhere.

Thank You all for responses. It was mentioned here, on the forum, that the key has a chip in,

and the bike will not function right without it, or even with the plastic key. Looks that it is only

a myth, if just about anybody can copy a key once they have the blank.

Thought i ask that here, since we don't have a dealer near by, and i bought the bike privately.

Morning Temesvr

If it is the correct plastic key (for your bike) then it should work just fine for starting & riding your bike (it is chipped but the plastic should have the correct chip if it came with the bike)

You just have to be ultra careful as those plastic keys do break easily.

So the newer models(as mine is 2008) ARE chipped! Then how do they work

without if cut from blank's by a locksmith? Am confused again.

(nothing new, that's normal!) So i understand the dealer sells

blanks without having them cut, and make a huge profit?

If the blanks have chip in, does it have to be matched with the bike?

I guess i should look into a key-less system... :/

So the newer models(as mine is 2008) ARE chipped! Then how do they work

without if cut from blank's by a locksmith? Am confused again.

(nothing new, that's normal!) So i understand the dealer sells

blanks without having them cut, and make a huge profit?

If the blanks have chip in, does it have to be matched with the bike?

I guess i should look into a key-less system... :/

Afternoon temesvar

They don't work UNLESS the locksmith has access to the BMW chipping system. You CAN use an unchipped key in an emergency IF you have the old key & can hold the chip part of the key next to the antenna ring.

Locksmith keys will work without issue in all the other locks like panniers & glove box.

As DirtRider mentioned, the newer models have a chip.

So only the dealer can make a key that will work with my

bike, providing him with Vin. # at a cost of about us$ 70

plus taxes. Not so bad, thought would be more..

I have a 2015 GSA, bought new last November. I received two metal keys with the bike (obviously not a keyless bike), but wanted a third. The dealer had to order the key (by supplying the VIN and making a copy of my registration to prove I was the owner) from BMW NA. The dealer doesn't make keys. And yes, the keys are obviously chipped, in order to start the bike.

I suspect the process for a 2008 bike would be similar, or identical, as the keys are also chipped. I see the OP's location is Ontario (I'm assuming he means the Canadian province), in which case the dealer would presumably order the key from BMW Canada.

Archived