IGNORED

Boots for the long haul

fastlarry

Getting ready for nearly 3 weeks on the road heading to California through the great heart of the country. Debating whether to wear my Aerostich Combat Lites (not so aptly named) or a pair of ankle-high Redwing work boots. Redwings are much lighter, and cooler I would think, better to hike around in. I don't like their defined heel as much for riding. Not expecting much rain, but the Lites would be more rain resistant. Any thoughts out there?

Larry

Guest Kakugo

Make sure whatever you pick uses Gore-Tex as waterproofing and not one of the many supposedly superior imitators.

Those "cheaper and better (for the boot manufacturer)" membranes can really kill your feet on long hauls or, worse, start leaking at the worst moment.

If you want lighter boots please do yourself a favor and buy something, anything, light and ECE approved such as these.

Work boots are great... for work but not so much for riding. ;)

Bill_Walker

Work boots are for work. Riding boots are for riding. They're designed to performed different jobs. There's some overlap in the areas they protect, but it's not complete. Work boots are designed to protect from impact to the toes, mostly. Riding boots are designed to protect from impact, too, but especially from concrete abrasion. Good riding boots will have special protection at the ankle bones, for example. Sweating is better than bleeding.

My boots, the Oxtar Matrix Gore-Tex, are the predecessor to these (linky) (Oxtar became TCX). In hot weather, I've stopped and stood in a cool stream wearing them. My feet cool off, but they stay dry. I've never had wet feet in rain. They can be a little warm in hot weather, but they're still the boot I wear for 98% of my riding. I'm about due to replace them after 11 years of neglect and travel all over North America.

I'll wear the Combat Lites. Too late to get something lighter and cooler. Leaving tomorrow morning for the left coast and will be in your town, Bill, San Marcos, next Saturday night. Try to get the thermostat turned down in the Valley before I get there.

I love my combat lites. I've got a couple coats of "grizzly grease" on them when new and re-coat ever couple years and never had wet feet in the 10 years. It is the old fashioned water-proofing and really works. Grizzly grease and the original linseed oil and mutton tallow go back a hundred years. Works for me.

+1

Ever go to put a foot down only to find you can't because a shoelace is caught on the bike (gear shift, foot peg, brake pedal)? Embarrassing! Painful!

I wear riding boots when riding and carry alternate footwear for not-riding. I took a pair of sandals for my 6 week/10,000 mile trip and they did everything I needed. Lightweight, pack small, work fine as long as I don't go "off road" in them. Maybe if I took fewer gloves I could carry some shoes/boots suitable for hiking too :)

Bill_Walker
I'll wear the Combat Lites. Too late to get something lighter and cooler. Leaving tomorrow morning for the left coast and will be in your town, Bill, San Marcos, next Saturday night. Try to get the thermostat turned down in the Valley before I get there.

I'll work on that!

If I recall correctly from an earlier post, you have family here, but if you need anything, give me a shout/PM.

Archived