IGNORED

Seat upgrades

2manybikes

I have been looking at seats for my 12 R1200GS. I know I want some type of saddle style with a comfy seat for the passenger as well. I like the design of the Russel Day Long. Is anyone using one, or had one in the past? Suggestions for other makers would be appreciated as well. Thanks!

I'm a fan of Bill(Rocky)Mayer Saddles in Ojai,CA

Otherwise known as BMS Saddles on the web.

www.billmayer-saddles.com

Number of other folks here use them.

JR356

Edited by JR356

When it comes to passenger comfort, most other builders seem to ignore the passenger. Russell Day Long seats are on all the bikes I have. I have tried others and they fell short in comfort.

Look for a custom seat maker in your area. I am a firm believer that a "custom" seat isn't truly custom unless you ride in for a fitting.

I've had them all I think. In the last couple of years, I did a ride-in with Bill Mayer (Ventura last few years - no longer Ojai), did Sargent, and did the mail-in order for a Russell Day Long. I had several Corbins over the last few years.

The worst experience *for me* was the Mayer saddle; custom ride-in just did not work out and the followup was not the best experience. Others have had a great experience.

The best experience has been the Russell Day Long. While it takes a little getting used to (don't they all?), it is by far the best seat/saddle I've had in the last 40 years of riding.

Saddles on a motorcycle are probably just too personal for our experiences to translate to others well. Good luck in your hunt.

YMMV and probably will :-)

Thanks for all of the input so far! I had not considered asking someone local. I have been meaning to stop at a place an hour or so away that I was told does motorcycle seats to see if they can copy a piece of seat foam for one of my old rice burers. Guess I can ask about this project as well. Having a couple dressers has kind of ruined me for sitting on a rock. The stock seat on the GS kills me after about an hour and a half.

The Russell Daylong is the best touring seat money can buy IMO, but you need an inseam that can handle an inch or two ^ in seat height.

I have a Sargent on my GS and it is much much better than stock, but it's not a Russell.

Pat

Look for a custom seat maker in your area. I am a firm believer that a "custom" seat isn't truly custom unless you ride in for a fitting.

+1

And a quick heads up for anyone looking for BMS in Ojai...

They moved to Ventura a while back.

Bill Mayer Saddles

3605 Arundell Circle A

Ventura, CA 93003

805-644-7216

John Ferris
The Russell Daylong is the best touring seat money can buy IMO, but you need an inseam that can handle an inch or two ^ in seat height.

I have a Sargent on my GS and it is much much better than stock, but it's not a Russell.

Pat

I have had a Russell before and it was great but I knew the extra height would not work on my GS so I went for the Sargent also. The Sargent comes on its own pan so you can keep your stock seat.

The last 2 seats I've put on RTs have been Rich's from Kingston Washington. They have been great and work well on long days in the saddle.

I have a ConTour on K1600. They are in Tucson AZ. It's a super seat for the K bike because the bike is lower than the RT. Doesn't work on the RT because of the inseam issue. Same with the Russell.

GT

Another fan of Bill Mayer Saddles here. Just met Rocky Mayer for the first time at the MOA's Das Rally, and told him how much I've enjoyed his seats over the years!

-MKL

The last 2 seats I've put on RTs have been Rich's from Kingston Washington. They have been great and work well on long days in the saddle.

I have a ConTour on K1600. They are in Tucson AZ. It's a super seat for the K bike because the bike is lower than the RT. Doesn't work on the RT because of the inseam issue. Same with the Russell.

GT

I had a Kontour on an oilhead RT. Best seat I've ever owned.

I have a Laam seat from Seth Laam in Northern California. I am very happy with the seat. I am vertically challenged (5'8) and have a 30" inseam. I was worried that an RDL would put me in a position where I could not reach the ground.

interesting RDL wouldn't...I'm 5 11 with 30 inch inseam...they've built 3 for me and I love them... It does raise me up some but very manageable. I can flat foot one side and be ball of the foot on the other one. You just learn to shift a little when you stop. Been using them since 2000 and really happy with them. Had a Corbin on another bike and tip toe both feet...that was manageable too. You learn to scoot forward instinctively as you come to a stop. I just cant ride on the 2x4 with a cover BMW calls a seat.

RDL didn't want to build me a seat because have a 30 inch inseam.

The lady at RDL was very abrupt on the matter.

GT

Strange, but if a company knows that a product won't work for me, I'd rather have them tell me up front, rather than taking my money and leaving me dissatisfied.

RDL didn't want to build me a seat because have a 30 inch inseam.

The lady at RDL was very abrupt on the matter.

GT

Strange, but if a company knows that a product won't work for me, I'd rather have them tell me up front, rather than taking my money and leaving me dissatisfied.

I agree. I have a 31" inseam and can scoot up and flat foot with the Russell on my new RT. But it is still a lot "taller" than the stock seat. My request to them was "comfort first, I will deal with the added height". I even run it in the HIGH position on trips. I have had owners tell me that Russell wouldn't build a seat to their specs. They also said they didn't want them any taller. While there is no excuse for coming across rude to a customer, I hope that the directness was maybe just blunt and not so much rude.

I put a Rich's seat on my ner RT. Works well

+1 for me. I bought mine used, but it still fits me like a glove. I've had half a dozen 800+ mile days on it, and I think its the best seat I've ever had.

I had a Sargeant and a Corbin on my RT. They were ok, but this Rich's is much better for my keester

• 4 months later...

Is there a life span on Russells? I'm looking at being a 3rd owner of a Daylong, the 2nd owner hasn't used it much I'm not sure when 1st installed but he sold it when his '05 RT had 97K miles. I don't want to get something that doesn't have much life left if the foam does breakdown.

I also wonder how to find a fair price, the ones I've seen on the classifieds have a wide range, I'm comparing it to having both seats redone and heating added at a custom shop, Bitchin' Stitchen' in Denver. - Thanks!

Well, as far as durability goes, I have a customer that has a Russell Day Long on a V Strom. He has over 375,000 miles on the seat ( bike is at 425,000 miles ). Cover is needing replaced as the stitching is coming apart.

Russell can do a rework and add heat also.

Expect to pay $400+ with shipping for a used Russell depending on what options.