IGNORED

Add on Cruise Control

gottago

Just wondering if there is an aftermarket electronic cruise control or BMW factory accessory available for a 2009 1200 GS. Any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated.

Old age is catching up.

Just wondering if there is an aftermarket electronic cruise control or BMW factory accessory available for a 2009 1200 GS. Any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated.

Old age is catching up.

Afternoon gottago

Nothing factory for the older hexhead GS or GS-A. Why, I have no idea, as BMW could have easily allowed the 1200RT electronic cruise to work with the GS if they REALLY wanted to.

There are some aftermarket options but not an easy install & the initial cost is very high (about $1200.00).

Electronic cruise link__ click here

Hey, gottago. You might try Bob's Wrist Rest. Bob's Wrist Rest

Mine was about $65. It ain't lectronik, but it sure does help my wrist. Stupid simple to install. They have various mods for different BMW's.

Also not electronic, but an alternative that works well for me:

Throttle Rocker ($10)

ebay Caterpillar O-Ring ($7 for ten of them)

Keep a few of the o-rings in your tank bag. Give them to friends, riding partners, people you meet on the road who ask you about the yellow thing on your bar-end.

The McCruise is as close to a bolt on system you will find. At a cost. Many have used the Rostra/Audiovox cruise control on bikes. I bought one for my Oilhead RT, decided I didn't want to deal with the Bowden box issues, and installed it on my V Strom. After that, the RT was never taken on a long trip! I don't know how complicated the install would be on the newer Boxers, but I am sure it can be done. You will need a wiring diagram to find the trigger wires for proper installation. Figure about $275 for the Rostra kit.

I've done 2 of the McCruise installations, first on my 2006 GS, and then on my brother's 2006 GS. It's not hard to do, but it does take some time, a lot of which is taking off the panels / tank, and the rear luggage mount to route a wire to the rear brake light connector. The instructions that come with the McCruise are excellent and their customer service, should you have questions, is superb. As an example of what I'm talking about, while doing my brother's, which had an updated computer and was slightly different than mine, we had a question about where to plug a couple of the wires into the small computer. My brother texted McCruise for clarification, and about 30 minutes later they called with the answer - from Australia. I should point out that the answer was right there in front of us in the instructions - we just failed to see it.

I read completely through the instructions about 3 times before starting the installation on mine, so that when I began it all made perfect sense. You'd think that once installed you'd probably have to do some adjustments, but they both worked, as advertised, right out of the box. Our bikes hold speed within +/- 2 MPH up and down hills. Neither of us has had to adjust ours at all. It's as close as you will come to a "plug and play" or OEM cruise control that you'll get. Both of us wish that we had had the McCruise long ago. I've had mine for about 3 years and 30,000 miles and have had no problems whatsoever. It still works perfectly.

As a caveat, the new units use an electronic actuator and do not use vacuum lines taken off the throttle bodies like the 2 that I have done. In my opinion, this should make the installation easier as there are fewer tubes to route. I also think that the response to rider imputs (increase / decrease / resume speed) would be a little quicker due to the new electronic actuator as opposed to the older vacuum actuated models.

Thanks everyone for your help. I'd really like the MCCruise but can't quite justify the cost. I have a throttle lock now but it's getting worn out and doesn't really do much anymore. I'm going to investigate the O-ring and the other suggestions for now. Thanks again.

The McCruise and the Rostra are the only two true cruise controls available for bikes. I chose the Rostra because it is 25% of the cost of the McCruise. The Rostra works exactly like the one in your car. Murphs Kits used to stock them and offer a bracket for the control unit that makes that part simple.

Archived