IGNORED

LED Tail/Brake Light Bulbs

Mike05

Anyone know of an LED replacement bulb that can be used for BMW motorcycle oem (P21W/12V/21W) tail/brake light bulbs?

Currently running P3's on a 2013 R1200RT but would like to increase visibility of the oem tail light as well.

IrishMike,

For $2.87 (free shipping), you get a 8 Dynamic Effects, 10-Level Dimmer, a wireless remote, works with incandescent and LED bulbs, and really works well.

controller

I hope the price does not offend your Irish sensibilities!!

Lowndes

Kisan called & said they don't think their "flashing" tail/brake light will work on my bike, so back to square one.

What I'm looking for is a brighter tail/brake light, both when running down the road or stopping. What I hoped to find was a LED replacement bulb similar to the LED after-market directional signal bulbs available; those I've already mounted.

Not a gadget guy so not sure what you propose does what I'm wanting to do.

Kisan called & said they don't think their "flashing" tail/brake light will work on my bike, so back to square one.

Just today got email from Kisan:

Albert,

20W-S 2Pak is the plug-n-play tailBlazer for the 2008 R1200RT - simply replace both tail/brake bulbs.

It is compatible with BMW CAN-bus so you don't get warnings.

When selecting the product:

1) No to Harley CAN-bus

2) No to LED - we are out of stock on LED elements.

Thanks.

But mine is a 2008, yours is 2013.

I don't see why it would be different, but never know!

I also heard from Kisan again today & apparently they're ordering me another set but they won't arrive for a couple of weeks. "Andy" @ Kisan said the set I ordered were not bright enough, which was what I was going for. If I understood him correctly he's ordering me a set of Can Bus compatible LED's from their manufacturer in China. Hope he's aware of the warning light issue.

I like Mike's idea about the 1156's; will get them for an upcoming longish trip & try the Kisan LED's when we get back.

Thanks all for the ideas!

IrishMike,

BRIGHTER is good, FLASHING is even better to get the attention of following vehicles.

Make sure you get the RED LED BULBS, not the "white" bulbs. The RED LED BULB will transmit all of the light it generates through the red plastic brake light lens. The white bulb has all of the other colors filtered out, so you only see part of the light generated.

Look for the LUMENS on the LED bulbs to get the specific light output of each bulb. Some "1157" LED's are MUCH brighter than others.

IrishMike,

Look at:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/s-series-bulbs/page/1/filter/Base_Type,1157,1,41:

The 23 "1157" LED bulbs (the combo tail light and brake light bulb) range from 13 lumens to 675 lumens. They can also be CAN bus or not, and oversized or not. Most are available in several colors, as well.

You can search by price or brightness, etc. Also do a "compare" of up to 5 bulbs.

Archived