IGNORED

GPS Phone Pairing Problem

APDDave

So I am getting ready to take a trip on the RT in a few days and I am trying to get all the communication stuff worked out. I bought two new Suberth M1 helmets for my wife and I with the built in comm system. It paired together and they work great. I then paired my helmet to the Rt and I can hear the radio and Nav 5, so far so good. Now I have been able to pair my phone (Motorola Android) to the gps so that I can see it while riding and leave the phone tucked away. The phone will pair, but only stay paired for about 15 seconds then it disconnects. It still shows it listed in the menu on the gps but it will not re connect. I have to go to my phone and get it to re connect to the Nav 5, then again after 15 seconds it will drop? Any Ideas out there?

Certainly wish I had a definitive answer to your situation.

I have an iPhone 6S and pairing it to the Nav V is the last step for me prior to a ride. I do not know if it would help you in any way but a call to Garmin tech support at 1-800-800-1020 might get you over the hump.

As soon as the Garmin Support person answers just ask for the OEM Support group. They have been trained to help you deal with the Nav V.

I suspect they will talk you through the steps to clean out the junk that has been left behind from several failed tries. They will help you with this. I think it is best to call them on another phone so you can fuss with the one you want to pair while chatting with them.

The good news is that the phone pairing to the GPS should be your last step, and the phone to Nav V is independent from the various other Bluetooth pairings. You can take the V out of the mount and have it in your hands while chatting with Garmin.

and one final tip... the Nav V will show the phone is paired when the icon on the far left is turned blue... if I recall correctly.

Let us hear how it goes.

Edited by hopz

So I called Garmin Support and they tell me that it is my phone. I have a new Motorola Droid Turbo 2 and they tell me that the Bluetooth chip in the phone is not compatible with the Garmin unit? I would have never thought that would be a problem. My previous phone was also a Motorola Droid and I had no problems. I guess now I am stuck with no phone connected to my GPS and helmet until I upgrade again. Not Happy.

Well the end result was that I had to pair my phone directly to my helmet to answer calls. It is just not as convenient as with my old phone linked directly to the GPS where I could see the incoming call and handle everything from the touch screen.

So I called Garmin Support and they tell me that it is my phone. I have a new Motorola Droid Turbo 2 and they tell me that the Bluetooth chip in the phone is not compatible with the Garmin unit? I would have never thought that would be a problem. My previous phone was also a Motorola Droid and I had no problems.

I think that's highly unlikely - the magic of Bluetooth is that it's supposed to be universally compatible. I've also found with other issues that "not compatible" is part of the Garmin support playbook. And since it sounds like you successfully paired your phone directly to your helmet, there's probably nothing wrong with the phone.

I'm not familiar with Shuberth helmets or Android systems, but I have had pairing problems with Sena/Garmin/iPhone. It's generally recommended to pair the GPS unit to the helmet as a phone, not as a GPS, if you can do that. The rest of my suggestions assume you can but didn't. Clear the pairings in everything. With the phone switched off, pair Nav to helmet as a phone, and make sure it is working. Then pair the phone to the Nav.

I have also found that order of operations when you start things up matter. With the above setup, I start with the phone's bluetooth turned off. I turn on the headset first, give it a few seconds to boot up, then turn on the GPS and give it a half a minute to make the connection. Then I turn the phone's Bluetooth on and connect it to the GPS. Other sequences can cause conflicts.

Good luck!