IGNORED

Making Use of Nav V

duegatti

I am committed to learning Basecamp. I've downloaded it, and it only has the "Global Map", which has very little detail and appears to be of little use. I see that Garmin will sell me maps for $50 to $70 dollars.

Then I see search results of people who are unable to see and utilize their purchased maps.

I'm doing this learning on my work computer. If I'm going to start paying this kind of money for maps which may not show up, and I only want to pay for these maps once, it sounds like I need to obtain a lap top, which is what I would be travelling with, and do all my Basecamp work on it.

Do I even have a clue?

Afternoon duegatti

Yep, BaseCamp can have the learning curve of brain surgery.

To view your NT map in BaseCamp you MUST have your GPS plugged into your computer.

(OR)- download the map update to your computer (not all bought Garmin NT maps will allow this)-- (it usually takes a lifetime map purchase OR the original map bought in DVD form & Garmin quit selling DVD maps a while back.

There is a way to convert the NT map that is in your GPS now to go on your computer & have Base Camp use it but that is very very involved & needs someone with good Garmin/ understanding to get it to work. (I would have to type about 3 pages to even come close to explaining how to do it as it has many steps to it)

For now try hooking your GPS to your computer then see if BaseCamp will find the NT map.

If it still can't find the NT map then download & install JaVaWa GMTK & use that to make the map viewable in BaseCamp. (not too difficult but the instructions in JaVaWa are difficult to understand.

Thank you so much. So if one of those fairly simple techniques works, I can do that, for free, on any computer, and it would not be critical to source a "dedicated" travel computer at this time - would you agree?

Afternoon duegatti

I theory you s-h-o-u-l-d be able to plug your GPS into any windows computer that has BaseCamp on it using USB & have that computer BaseCamp application find & use the NT map that is in your GPS.

The good part of this is that you will always make your routing on the VERY SAME map that is in your GPS.

The bad part is that it is: it's a pain always have to hook the GPS up + using the map from the GPS slows things down considerably.