IGNORED

TKC 70 tire wear

johnlt

I normally run Karoo 3s on my 09 GS Adventure but for this year's UN, I installed TKC 70s because the K3s are too noisy on the highway and most of my 5K ride would be on pavement. Anyway, after 5300 mile trip, my rear tire is still less than half worn and the wear is quite even so I am very happy with that. The front tire is problematic, the wear on the "leading edge" of each tread block is less that half worn but the trailing edge of each tread block is 80% worn. What causes this type of uneven wear on front tires? I'd appreciate any comments

Anyway, after 5300 mile trip, my rear tire is still less than half worn and the wear is quite even so I am very happy with that. The front tire is problematic, the wear on the "leading edge" of each tread block is less that half worn but the trailing edge of each tread block is 80% worn. What causes this type of uneven wear on front tires? I'd appreciate any comments

Morning johnlt

That wear is from braking as the tread distorts under barking forces so you then get that wear.

As a rule I turn my front (off-road) tires around (reverse rotational direction) about every 1000-1500 miles as that really evens out that angular wear (Note: a few front tires won't run backwards without issues)

I installed TKC 70's on my V Strom and have been quite impressed with mileage as well. The rear tire is a much better all around street oriented tire than the front, but I bought them for gravel and dirt roads. That said, the front tire is the best I have used for that kind of riding without going to a knobby type. You do give up a bit of handling at high lean angles, and the front tire is noisy. Like you, I have the uneven wear which can cause the wobble some complain about. I pretty much ignore it, just like knobbies they are going to do that. I did bump pressure to 38 while on the street on the front and run 42 in the rear. I might reverse my front tire like DR mentioned. I used to do that with dirt bikes but didn't think about it on the front of this one.