IGNORED

RAM mount options on R1100S

Lowndes

I had a beautiful R1100S bike and loved it.

While I love the GPS and have had on on every bike going back to ... well a long time ago, I never wanted one on my "S" bike. Of course your ride style and needs are personal to you. (My S was the garage-mate with the RT's.

I do not have an answer to your question but if you poke around the Web look for the site that is only about the S bikes... R1100S forum... Try this:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-r1100s-r1200s-tech-forum/

Those guys are pretty good, but somewhat less dignified than the gentlemen and ladies who populate this site.

Good luck.

Morning Lowndes

Over the years I have seen a couple of R1100S with a ball mount ball right in the middle of the upper triple tree ball joint (where the BMW roundel cap goes)

I'm not sure if it was a bought ball mount that fit that center triple tree hole, or a custom made cap with RAM ball, or if they just drilled & tapped the top of the ball joint & drilled a hole in the roundel cap to accepter a RAM ball mount stud.

In any case they looked neat, tidy, & professional.

Added: If I remember correctly the are a couple of tapped (threaded) unused holes on the underside of the upper triple tree. You can probably find a RAM ball mount that is on a straight arm, or bent arm, to bolt to the underside of the triple tree & stick out forward enough to mount the long GPS RAM clamp to.

Edited by dirtrider

THANK YOU, sirs, for the excellent and quick replies.

Hopz, "dignified" is the exact word!! And thanks for the PP forum. I was not aware of the r1100s section.

Mr. Dirtrider, the upper triple tree is the best place I could see, but have never looked beneath it. From the parts diagrams, I assumed it was a solid steel piece, no hole through it as other makes. If it is solid, a drill and tap would work well. Much obliged for the assistance.

Lowndes

Mr. Dirtrider, the upper triple tree is the best place I could see, but have never looked beneath it. From the parts diagrams, I assumed it was a solid steel piece, no hole through it as other makes. If it is solid, a drill and tap would work well. Much obliged for the assistance.

Afternoon Lowndes

Maybe my memory is failing me or maybe not so look/feel UNDER the upper triple tree for a couple of threaded holes, they DON'T go all the way through to the top surface (blind holes) as I recall.

If you find any threaded holes you can use one to mount a RAM ball (the one that comes with an arm on it) on the underside of the triple tree with just the ball part itself sticking out forward.

ram-b-252u.png

Edited by dirtrider

If i may add this. I use it for the camera.

Easy to turn on/off while riding, and is not behind the windshield

Sorry for the huge pictures, but i don't know how to reduce them in size :dontknow:

parts-16258-picture66786-img-0459.jpg

parts-16258-picture66778-img-0461.jpg

parts-16258-picture66794-img-0462.jpg