IGNORED

Darien Motorcycle Pants

fastlarry

I found myself a Darien jacket on Ebay and was wondering if I should get some pants to go with these. To you who have these or something equivalent do you wear them over street clothes (like I do my Roadcrafter pants) or do you wear them as stand-alone trousers with some long underwear under them in cooler weather? Depending how I use them affects the size I would buy.

Larry

Edited by fastlarry

I have worn the Darien pants in the fall/ winter for many years. The thing to know is that they have no insulating properties other than blocking the wind. In the cooler weather I have a fleece layer that I wear under pants. Long underwear under the fleece for the cold stuff. They are an incredibly waterproof pant, just like the jacket. I use the Cycleport Kevlar mesh pants during the warm weather.

I have the AD1 pants, which are similar in design, but cut a bit differently. They're intended to be worn over regular pants, though I've occasionally worn them just over shorts when it's hot. I've also worn them as you suggest, with a set of thermals underneath in cold weather. That's a pretty good setup. The fabric is kind of stiff and not as comfy to wear without a layer between your skin and the pants, but it works fine that way.

I'd recommend sizing them to go over your street pants, knowing that you have the option to wear them kinda-commando if it gets warm, or to substitute long johns when it's cool. Since they are somewhat heavy, I find wearing them with suspenders is best.

When I had Darien pants,as well as now with other gear,I wear a wicking layer,such as LDComfort longs.

Insulated layer over that if it gets cold.

Stay away from cotton layers,retains moisture.

JR356

I'll have to look for some 36L pans, then. I got the jacket today and it looks to be in like-new condition, not quite broken in yet. Not sold on that pocket arrangement; have to give it some thought where to put what. It is roomy; got a 44R and a 42 would be a trimmer fit.

i find the darian pants to not lend themselves to be worn over regular pants/jeans, especially if the jeans have a belt. You end up with the darian pants belt above the jeans belt or the darian pants too loose. I always wear a thin pair of long underwear only under the darian just to have something between my legs and the darian and for cold weather add a fleece layer on top of that. I also have a roadrafter suit so if I'm riding somewhere where I don't want to wear the darian pants when I arrive I use the roadrafter. In my opinion I don't think you'll be comfortable with pants under the darian unless they are very thin slacks with no belt.