IGNORED

Tools for Brake Fluid Service

RPG

I'm looking for a few tools to stop my swearing when servicing the servo control for my '04 R1150RT. This is the brake control unit located under the tank, which I believe has 6 bleed screws.

When bleeding the servo, there are several elevated bleed screws that require a special tool (angled wrench perhaps) to open and close while bleeding.

I'm just wondering what others are using for this as my small hexhead box wrenches do work, but there has to be a better way.

thanks,

RPG

Morning Rick

If you intend to use an evacuation hose on the bleed fittings then about all that will work is a small box/open end wrench.

I have a couple of small thin wrenches that are purposely bent to fit & work on those servo bleed fittings.

I usually use a proper fitting socket to initially break the bleed screws loose then use the thin wrenches to open & close the bleeders while bleeding then use the socket again to tighten the bleed screws.

I also remove the power plug going into the servo unit & cover the opening with duct tape as that GREATLY improves bleed screw access.

hey D.R.

thanks for the quick response.

Yes, it's the power connector that's sort of in the way.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the servo need power to complete the bleed process? Or is power only required when the funnel is attached, drawing fluid into the servo unit?

Sorry, it's been a couple years since I've done it.

Regards,

RPG

RPG,

I don't think so. I always flush mine with it unplugged without any problem.

edit... I like to put a rubber glove over the connector base while I do it to keep brake fluid out of there.

Edited by greiffster
hey D.R.

thanks for the quick response.

Yes, it's the power connector that's sort of in the way.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the servo need power to complete the bleed process? Or is power only required when the funnel is attached, drawing fluid into the servo unit?

Sorry, it's been a couple years since I've done it.

Afternoon Rick

You need (well should have anyhow) the connector hooked up to do the wheel circuit side of the system as that allows the servo pumps to operate & pump fluid through the calipers.

You DON'T need the servo connector hooked up to do the control side of the system (these are the bleed screws on top of the servo unit)

D.R. I think you solved my problem. :)

I'll remove the connector as noted when doing the control side of the unit.

thanks so much,

RPG

thanks so much,

RPG

Afternoon Rick

Just be darn sure to cover the (then) exposed servo unit connector socket as it doesn't take much brake fluid getting into that connector to ruin the servo unit.

I think that you will find it MUCH easier to bleed at the servo unit top once that connector is removed.

I think it was on this forum that I ran across the suggestion to use an offset box wrench. Not the easiest to find, especially in the small metric size needed for those bleed screws (7mm, I think). I ended up getting a set of THESE from Harbor Freight. Not spectacular quality, but it does the job and does provide a little better access to the screws compared to a standard wrench. I think that wrench size is the only one of the set that I've used to date, so it's hard to justify anything more spendy.

thanks so much,

RPG

Afternoon Rick

Just be darn sure to cover the (then) exposed servo unit connector socket as it doesn't take much brake fluid getting into that connector to ruin the servo unit.

I think that you will find it MUCH easier to bleed at the servo unit top once that connector is removed.

I've had the connector off in the past so no issue there. thanks again. Hopefully we'll see you at our Touring Club of Detroit's Fall Color Tour or Edmund Fitzgerald Run coming up.

I think it was on this forum that I ran across the suggestion to use an offset box wrench. Not the easiest to find, especially in the small metric size needed for those bleed screws (7mm, I think). I ended up getting a set of THESE from Harbor Freight. Not spectacular quality, but it does the job and does provide a little better access to the screws compared to a standard wrench. I think that wrench size is the only one of the set that I've used to date, so it's hard to justify anything more spendy.

much appreciated Wayne. I have the other necessary tools so I'll check those out.

RPG