IGNORED

Side cases

Armed

Hi all. Newbie here. Have question should anyone care to help out. I have the opportunity to buy a set of side cases off an R1150RT. Not sure the year but I know they fit assorted years and models.

Question is; The seller has the key. Has to keep the key to his RT. Says that rekeying them is real easy. I don't mind haveing two keys. One for my ignition, another for the bags.

Is it easy? My local shop says a locksmith can do it. Do I have to buy new cylinders? Any help, greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Evening Armed

Yes, it's pretty easy IF you know just what to do & how to do it. (not a big deal)

You can just buy a wafer kit (or 2) & make it work with your present key- OR- if you have friendly BMW dealer they will probably just trade you your wafers for the proper ones, OR you can remove & change the existing wafers to work with your present key (it will probably then have a few less wafers so would be easier to get into with someone else's key -- I consider that a good thing)

Or you can just insert your key in the removed lock cylinder then grind the high wafers off to be flush & it will then work with your key but again less secure as you would probably have a couple of short wafers)

If you have a current set of bags that you are replacing it is very easy to remove the cylinders from those bags and insert them into the new bags. This allows you to simply use the existing ignition key of your bike and old bags on the new ones.

There are a lot of YouTube examples of this procedure. Just google "BMW system case lock removal".

Why not have the seller include a copy of his key. He either has a spare key or he can make one from his key and confirm that it opens the bags.

If you don't get a key, make sure the bags are OPEN when you get them. There's no way for them to be closed and unlocked.

Ideally, you could ask the owner of the bags to watch the videos like the ones posted above by that handsome dog "Laguna" on lock removal using an Allan wrench thru the access hole in the bag and the key in the lock .then he can send you the bags and the lock cylinders (wrapped in masking tape) to hold the wafers and springs intact so that you can re-key by using the videos.

Removal of the locks them the access hole with an Allan wrench is extremely easy.

There are three videos by Laguna on how to easily do this. Here is 1 of 3.

(Yes, I'm Laguna)

Holler of you need real time help.

Tri750@hotmail.com

559-288-1490