IGNORED

Scala mic hookup on modular helmet

KSB

Just bought a modular helmet and was interested in the best way to route/hookup the microphone. I have both the Boom and the Corded mic for my G9 that has a replaceable mic audio connection. I would like to be able to open the chin piece w/o disconnecting the mic from its Velcro attachment point.

Any suggestions/solutions? :)

Just bought a modular helmet and was interested in the best way to route/hookup the microphone. I have both the Boom and the Corded mic for my G9 that has a replaceable mic audio connection. I would like to be able to open the chin piece w/o disconnecting the mic from its Velcro attachment point.

Any suggestions/solutions? :)

If you have a modular, I've read you use the boom.

There are youtube videos on install on a modular.

James L

Did your G9 come with what they call a "hybrid" mic ? That's the one for modular helmets. It has a thin wire from the box, half way up, then a flat pad to stick to the inner liner of the helmet behind the cheek pad. Then a standard flexible boom mic up to your mouth.

You can use the boom but it can be a bit large in diameter to fit behind the cheek pad.

Normally, hot glue will work much better than the provided Velcro.

You get in the habit of moving the mic in and out when you use the flip up portion of your helmet.

Once you've decided just where you want the mic, you can flush fit the boom with careful carving of the helmet liner . Just a small channel for the boom arm to rest into. Again, hot glue.

I've done a bunch with both standard boom and the hybrid.

Thank you both for the quick and helpful answers.

James L: I agree, the R1200RT is a WONDERFUL motorcycle.

Tri750: I don't have the "hybrid mic", but I ordered an additional mount that comes with one. I'll use your suggestions.

If the liner isn't loose or removable to run the speaker wires under, take a Popsicle stick and push the speaker wire in along the back edge of the helmet between the padding and the helmet shell.

KSB, you should have received a boom mike with your Cardo Scala, unless maybe you got a used one. All my units came with both mikes.

If you have the Q3, you have to remove the steel helmet clamp (2 screws) and then the plastic "keeper" (one screw) on the back/bottom of the unit to remove the mike jack from the unit.

My brother uses a modular LS2 with the Cardo boom mike, works well.