IGNORED

Sena 20S to GPS pairing questions

Lone_RT_rider

Lone_RT_rider

So, I finally got the new (to me) Garmin Zumo 590 mounted and hooked up to the bike. Now I need to pair the thing to the Sena 20S. So, off I go to Youtube to try and confuse myself as usual. I found two slightly different options on how to pair the GPS.

states to pair the phone to the GPS, then pair the GPS to the Sena 20S as a second mobile device.

states to also pair the phone to the GPS, but then just pair the Sena 20 S as a mobile device. This is slightly different than the first method.

Neither method talks about pairing the Phone directly to the Sena 20S. One might infer from this that the phone should not be directly paired to the Sena 20S, but must send it's signal through the GPS and then all audio for both devices gets sent through the GPS to the Sena 20S. Is this true? Currently the only thing that is paired to my Sena 20S is my phone. I have not tried or started pairing the GPS yet.

Help please!

Shawn

I think you want to pair the phone to the GPS, then pair the GPS to the Sena 20s.

This will allow you to operate your phones music from the GPS screen and you do the same with phone calls. This way if you get GPS direction, it will pause the music and continue after the instructions.

Richard at RKA has a bunch of videos of how to pair the Sena 20s to your phone a GPS.

Don't forget to update the firmware on the Sena.

Edited by Bernie
Lone_RT_rider

Bernie, since the phone is already paired with the Sena 20S, do I need to un-pair it in anyway so it's not looking for both the GPS and the Phone at the same time? Or will it know that it should look for the GPS first, and if that doesn't work it looks for the phone? I ask this because when I commute, I don't always have the GPS on whatever bike I happen to be riding.

Bernie, since the phone is already paired with the Sena 20S, do I need to un-pair it in anyway so it's not looking for both the GPS and the Phone at the same time?

Yes Shawn, unpair the phone. I do it by telling the phone to ignore the Sena 20S in the Bluetooth menu.

Then if you ride a different bike with no GPS, you can easily repair the phone and the Sena 20S.

Or will it know that it should look for the GPS first, and if that doesn't work it looks for the phone?

I don't think it is that smart.

I ask this because when I commute, I don't always have the GPS on whatever bike I happen to be riding.

Lone_RT_rider

So, I will set it up to run off the GPS for the trip to START, then run it the other way when I get back.

Hi Shawn,

Bernie has got it correct. Just make sure that you let the GPS pair to the phone before you turn on the 20S. Everything seems to play together better if done in this order.

Lone_RT_rider

Somehow this doesn't seem "easier" than plugging a wire into an Autocomm..... maybe it's just me. Thanks for your help Bernie and Chris. :)

No it's not, just better audio and you can repeat your results.

Autocom was much easier for me, but I been learning and getting used to BlueToothAche.

This a reply not an argument...

I have the Sena SMH-10, tunes on the Thumb drive, iPhone 6s to pair to the Nav 5.

I use the pairing methods recommended by Sena. Pair correctly once using the two different pairing methods...and you do not have to pair again.

My ride start-up process is this and it works- every time. Have been using this of well over a year. Once paired it just basically happens every ride, every time... no re-set-up required.

Get gear ready to put on. Turn Ignition Key On on bike (you can hit the starter out not)- audio system comes alive and plays tunes (speakers ore off but the tune playing shows on the dashboard. Then I power-on the Sena and it pairs to the bike audio system and tunes begin in the helmet. Set bluetooth to ON on the iPhone and it pairs to the Nav 5. Put on helmet and rest of the gear, start the bike and ride off....

So far works every time.

Lone_RT_rider
This a reply not an argument...

Definitely not taken as an argument, just good input from a user that has a way that works for him every time. I appreciate you taking to the time to reply. :)