IGNORED

Questions re: warning light 2005 GS

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta

The dash is showing a warning that a front light is bad. It's the light icon with an up arrow.

I pulled both light and checked continuity on both bulbs = ok.

I plugged both back in. The headlight lit when the bike was started and the high beam lit when activated in both modes.

The only issue is the plastic clip holding the terminals on the headlight is broken, but doesn't seem to me that should be causing the fault.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

TIA

Morning John

Might not be a headlight bulb.

I pulled up my old 2005 GS manual & it shows the front (light-out) warning can come on for-- Low-beam headlight, High-beam headlight, or side-light, or turn-indicator bulb defective.

So check the other bulbs.

While I haven't ever seen it on the GS I have seen it on the 1200RT & the is the light-out warning coming on with a functional headlight but replacing the bulb put the warning light out. I'm not sure if it was a bulb internal resistance problem, or a bulb connection issue (your headlight bulb terminals are not burnt brown or black are they?)

If nothing found then you might ohm out the ground (brown wire) for a high resistance issue with that.

John Ranalletta

It was the parking light. Violating the "first do no harm" rule, the filament in the bright broke requiring a trip to Autozone for a replacement & a spare. Found that a long-nosed needle nose pliers or forceps come in handy.

Thanks, all...