IGNORED

wiring in a Garmin Nuvi

codan

I know there are compromises, but I've decided to put a Garmin Nuvi auto GPS on my 13 R1200RT.

I made a bracket today following this video:

and Ram Mount makes the other parts I need.

The next task is wiring it. I found the female connector down near the forks that the OEM plugs into, and I've found the part # for the male plug & wires to go into it: plug and wires

Can I just

1) connect that male plug to my GPS cord (what goes to what?)

2) plug that male into the female that's already on the bike

and call it good?

Edited by codan

Codan,

The power plug (cig lighter plug) for the Garmin Nuvi says output is 5V. If you input 12V (actually a little higher - 13.5~14.5V) it might light up your Garmin. REALLY light it up.

I put in a 2 wire SAE fused connection on my batt, then connected a 2 port USB outlet to it and mounted on my handlebars. It is powered and switched separately so that I can leave everything charging while gassing or eating. Depending on your Nuvi, it will take a mini or micro USB connector wire to power it. You could also mount a cig lighter socket and plug in your regular Nuvi power cord. That's just too bulky for my bike.

Here is my Nuvi 3590LM with RAM mount, mounted on my K12RS along with a cell phone running Waze. The USB outlet is just to the right of the Nuvi. There is a button switch on top of it with a power indicator light.

I've used my car Nuvi's for two years on my bikes with excellent results. Several extended rides in hard rain, no problem.

More pics here: Nuvi mount on K bike

Klsu4FvwHlOe6Tk1MfphJ5HhBa_gRqDhwC0JS9uvBG56rDAM9odKIVyCwbSL2ToyVtXjYjaBGh_iJ1iYKW-XZ4Ckxb2bdso6wT_z8pef8OYgzIW0DERvdZfyf9OzK1GvJbEQ7XCoLr_GYjFg6UghS1mbIbFBvDvaAmfYxzQSrgTNMEMuuiB5vrn44SuV86FVU1kLKCwaVloYikdWuBxHHM4K2py5zUnyhWEpN8wVjQ5W906feyNP6rOPVn_CuOzn4_maQOS_1jwMZn2Cz11A55SbKr9I1tkB440U4clUkMxczzWSv5oYxxjSr08SrjQRZLdA9Qbrkf8PMrMoCoaeilS_UfD_hHQbACgi_olBYuzW42uxjJ_9FcoIwLULLSgAM5uu3PIkpE5o_E_SaYTq3wgqJHd2cJ4HxW9-cfbrL8pIulBG3gCni-gmUBgV6KOYZFQ1ZcFQHabbWJ4HDe3yzmLIFdFZhSg3tYNBoVcmLrgnDfxmTq0o20-M-IgJ4NFoCRc-Tf48PL6JvvecGdwRrQBhjY4uJWkM2IM6PvRJvYEPOqXBGgFGWJAZJuO-qfpCNrRl3NWa5uhhMeRaZ4YrMHw9xKeCGA16UYhC4cBTRKykgZb2GVMMapLt3dWom23UCxtulHoTxA-d6dsKPXZkCizkl8-81R16Ww=w1461-h711-no?.jpg