IGNORED

Googles. Oops. No. Goggles.

doc47

I'm shopping for some goggles to take back to Africa with me. I've looked in MC Superstore and on Amazon and there are a plethora of choices ranging from about 10 bucks to well over $100.

Is it worth paying more money? What's your experience on this?

The main enemy is dust and the lenses getting scratched up and opaque. I avoid riding at night like the plague, but some of the goggles I've had, even with non-colored lenses create halos or haziness when riding at night.

Any recommendations for brands, etc.

PS: Riding at night in Africa is unbelievably dangerous. A black cow in the middle of the road is bloody well invisible!

Edited by doc47

There are several different designs of safety glasses with a foam insert on the backside to seal them up rather well. Maybe as good as goggles. And a lot easier to wear. Just a thought to consider.

For your application I'd think simple, cheap, throwaway replacement ... ie buy three or four and still be under $50

BASIC OLD FASHIONED GOGGLE

or maybe a more comfortable seal

UPGRADE

Well, damn! I've been looking under "Motorcycle Goggles". Never thought of these. (Slaps forehead!)

Great idea!

Would tear-offs work for you (as a way to extend the life of the lens)? Or are they more for temporary use?

here's a few other ideas. their top picks are pretty cheap.

https://youngchoppers.com/10-best-motorcycle-goggles-reviewed-compared/

I would think in your situation - get several pairs of reasonably cheap goggles, and consider them somewhat disposable.

Edited by elkroeger

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Ordered a couple of reasonably cheap ones that got good reviews. (Thanks Eric!)

Dust is really a problem. You can get stuck behind a truck on a dirt road and can't see to pass, can't stay behind that sucker, and feel like your lungs are turning to real estate! At least with good goggles you can still see the handlebars!