IGNORED

Right Now!

TEWKS

Joe Frickin' Friday
32 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Excuse my ignorance (and ya I could look them up) but what are they and what do you do with them?  Fig Newtons is all I got… :dontknow: Same fruit? 

edit..

next I’ll be asking where hamburgers come from. :grin:

Same fruit.  You can buy them fresh in a lot of grocery stores, and just chow down on them.  You can also buy dried figs, either loose in a tub or strong on a string and tied in a tight coil:

figz.jpg.fde727698a71141c7db897511abc9695.jpg

You can also buy fig jam, good on toast:

image.png.da58ae856c9b54fd5f2a732d3c5dbf1f.png

• Thanks 1
Rougarou
1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

Excuse my ignorance (and ya I could look them up) but what are they and what do you do with them?  Fig Newtons is all I got… :dontknow: Same fruit? 

edit..

next I’ll be asking where hamburgers come from. :grin:

ya, in a fig newton. Earlier this week the wife made sweet dough pies with them. Also,  we have fig preserves in the pantry that are awesome on biscuits or a PB&J sandwich 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
21 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

ya, in a fig newton. Earlier this week the wife made sweet dough pies with them. Also,  we have fig preserves in the pantry that are awesome on biscuits or a PB&J sandwich 

Since you're so good at growing Godzilla-figs, ya got any tips on getting an apple tree to make apples?  This apple tree is about 15 years old, a good 12 feet tall, and never makes any apples.  

image.thumb.jpeg.60adba62abc9a7244f0af05b2d75980b.jpeg

I plead ignorance when it comes to taking care of plants, so I'm open to anything short of outright witchcraft.

John Ranalletta

Rumors and vids of Hell's Angels en route to Aurora, CO to confront Venezuelan gangs.  Should be interesting.  How many BMW clubs are going?

• Thinking 1
32 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

Rumors and vids of Hell's Angels en route to Aurora, CO to confront Venezuelan gangs.  Should be interesting.  How many BMW clubs are going?

It’s gotta start somewhere…Hey, I’ve got a Harley, think I could get a fast track initiation? :dontknow: I’m not riding bitch though. :D

• Haha 1
John Ranalletta
15 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

It’s gotta start somewhere…Hey, I’ve got a Harley, think I could get a fast track initiation? :dontknow: I’m not riding bitch though. :D

More than likely, the state and local LEOs will drop the hammer on the bikers before they inconvenience the Latin gangs given their reactions so far.

1 hour ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Since you're so good at growing Godzilla-figs, ya got any tips on getting an apple tree to make apples?  This apple tree is about 15 years old, a good 12 feet tall, and never makes any apples.  

image.thumb.jpeg.60adba62abc9a7244f0af05b2d75980b.jpeg

I plead ignorance when it comes to taking care of plants, so I'm open to anything short of outright witchcraft.

Looks like more shade than sun.  You feeding it, they need fertilizer, 10-10-10 a couple times a year should pop it out.  Depending on the apple variety, it may need a pollinator kinda close by, ....but it may also just be too old to work and you should start with a fresh one or two.  I have a golden delicious tree that may be four years in the ground, got it at the Food Lion grocery store.  Produces a fair amount of apples, but not of generous size and not the purty green you see in stores, good flavor though.  This fall, we're gonna prune it proper so that it shoots energy to the right locations.  Same thing with our peach tree, it needs a proper pruning.  Had beaucoup peaches this year, juicy and sweet, but were quit small.

John Ranalletta
4 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Figs anyone

IMG_3874.thumb.jpeg.450bfaf1de9fe1b8840cfbd26b37e1d6.jpeg

Egg for size comparison 

If I had a fig tree in my yard, I'd weigh 400 lbs.  Look great.

• Plus 1 1
  • Haha 1
34 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

If I had a fig tree in my yard, I'd weigh 400 lbs.  Look great.

We had these pair of trees at our last house, couldn't get them to grow very large.  Bought this house in 2015, dug up the fig trees and they came with us.  Had them in a spot for a couple of years, wouldn't grow, so wife moved them to a shaded/filtered light area right outside our bedroom as a "temporary" location, and bam, damn things started growing.  We've got plenty of preserves in the pantry and they do grow fat figs.  It must be the right spot!!  We do have to prune them back this year, they're getting way too big.  I'll get a happy snap tomorrow if I remember.

John Ranalletta
10 hours ago, Rougarou said:

We had these pair of trees at our last house, couldn't get them to grow very large.  Bought this house in 2015, dug up the fig trees and they came with us.  Had them in a spot for a couple of years, wouldn't grow, so wife moved them to a shaded/filtered light area right outside our bedroom as a "temporary" location, and bam, damn things started growing.  We've got plenty of preserves in the pantry and they do grow fat figs.  It must be the right spot!!  We do have to prune them back this year, they're getting way too big.  I'll get a happy snap tomorrow if I remember.

A friend in Greece, NY has one, so they'll prosper in colder climes; however, somehow he cuts a side of the root ball in the fall and buries the tree in mulch.

3 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

A friend in Greece, NY has one, so they'll prosper in colder climes; however, somehow he cuts a side of the root ball in the fall and buries the tree in mulch.

Growing up in SW Louisiana, the neighbor had one big enough that we had a tree house in it.  Just down the road from our place that we lived on base in Albany, Ga, huge, huge fig tree, prolly 15+ feet high, would walk down and pick us some baskets when they became ripe.  Both of those were likely Brown Turkey varieties. 

We are unsure what variety we have, it looks like it could be the Florentine or Celeste but we just don't know, either way, they're good!!

This is our Sweet Fig tree. Gets packed with ripe figs around the first week of July. Half the size of Richard’s, and they are like taking a bite of candy. We share with the birds every year. Even the seagulls come to get their share. Tried netting, but too many birds got caught to their demise. Decided there was plenty for all. Every year the wife makes some fig this or that. Last year she made fig newtons all from scratch. Through my begging, she’s going to make them again this year. A little more involved than one would think.

IMG_6510.jpeg

• Like 3

We I will need Quality Assurance samples in Natural Bridge.   Just sayin'

• Like 1
  • Smile 1

Heres the trees

image.thumb.jpg.593fd288d1b427db53920d1855967f4a.jpg

and these need a few more days

image.thumb.jpg.d3e983a2a62e92c16fdb443eae022191.jpg

The European hornets share these with us

• Like 3
49 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

I will need Quality Assurance samples in Natural Bridge.

Thats a tall order William. They were gobbled up pretty quick. Can't make it to Fart, but if I don't become a total glutton and save a few, you will be on top of the list at Start  :shake:

• Smile 1
Dennis Andress
1 hour ago, taylor1 said:

….   Every year the wife makes some fig this or that. Last year she made fig newtons all from scratch. Through my begging, she’s going to make them again this year. A little more involved than one would think.

With peanut butter :4322:

1 hour ago, Dennis Andress said:

With peanut butter :4322:

Had to look that one up. Everything I saw just seemed to damn healthy for me :classic_laugh:

Hank in WV
4 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Making old ugly barn white oak into pretty oakimage.thumb.jpg.e03cb5c0ed1702f85963496ba479b66f.jpg

Watch out for nails.

5 minutes ago, Hank in WV said:

Watch out for nails.

doubly checked.  I planed only about nine boards today.  Wife wants a new kitchen island but outta our old barn wood.  Dunno how I'm gonna build it yet, but getting the pieces ready. 

22 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Wife wants a new kitchen island but outta our old barn wood.  Dunno how I'm gonna build it yet, but getting the pieces ready. 

Invite Hank down for a couple days, I bet he built a table or two over the years. :thumbsup:

• Like 2
John Ranalletta
On 9/1/2024 at 1:49 PM, John Ranalletta said:

Love KY rides. Frankfort. 

IMG_1370.jpeg

This is a neat little lane (Lead Mine Rd)  through a tunnel of trees near Lockport, KY.  Fun day. (The thumping sound is the GoPro power cord hitting the GoPro.)

• Like 4

Sorry, you can’t park there..Like that. :spittake:

image.thumb.jpeg.e177dfa793ccc3bf6dcc9f9e604cd1a1.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f907e752a415625abc78c1eded721b76.jpeg

edit

sorry missed an “n” in can’t, that may have caused some confusion. :classic_biggrin: 

• Like 1
  • Thinking 4

In the Big House for an OT shift. Two years left as of today.
IMG_6064.thumb.jpeg.19e7cacc434bdd06cb8f83df76c6f430.jpeg

Our Interior flag is made from old fire hose. :cool:

IMG_6065.thumb.jpeg.0a6154a217ba3144f6449942b2873cb9.jpeg

Not to “pat” Pat on the back but, I often find loose things that get overlooked in other stations.  Need to be a better mentor. :spittake:

IMG_6061.thumb.jpeg.b436ee06ff599a04d7ad323a7caa1592.jpeg

• Like 6
20 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Two years left as of today.

Congrats Pat!! It'll pass by like a wildfire!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of wildfire, this is what is happening right now out my backyard.  Trabuco fire.  Threat is diminishing, unless the wind comes up, so I'm able to sit in front of the computer for a bit.  I packed a duffle bag and put in the car ready, and glanced over at the RS and ....boy things get complicated!

20240909_194341.jpg

• Sad 4

I think unless I had a retardant drop around my house and Cal fire hanging out with an engine, I'd be for leaving. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, hunter41 said:

Speaking of wildfire, this is what is happening right now out my backyard.  Trabuco fire.  Threat is diminishing, unless the wind comes up, so I'm able to sit in front of the computer for a bit.  I packed a duffle bag and put in the car ready, and glanced over at the RS and ....boy things get complicated!

20240909_194341.jpg

Another view of the same fire from my friends house yesterday in RSM. Waaaay to close for comfort.  Luckily moving away from the homes. 

Resized_Resized_20240909_171735_1725938863884_1725938872157.thumb.jpeg.3518619a2ea29454aa164bf527321e3d.jpeg

4 hours ago, BrianT said:

Another view of the same fire from my friends house yesterday in RSM. Waaaay to close for comfort.  Luckily moving away from the homes. 

Luckily indeed!!!  

Having a glass of Liberty Call, Uncommon Valor whiskey from a memorial bottle for the 23rd anniversary of the attacks.

A toast to all my brothers and sisters in uniform, who answered the call that day, some paying the ultimate price, some still paying that price or civilian and stepping in because something needed to be done. All heroes. 

IMG_4912.thumb.jpeg.b7964269ebb9177c6911216454ef1664.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
John Ranalletta
7 hours ago, BrianT said:

Having a glass of Liberty Call, Uncommon Valor whiskey from a memorial bottle for the 23rd anniversary of the attacks.

A toast to all my brothers and sisters in uniform, who answered the call that day, some paying the ultimate price, some still paying that price or civilian and stepping in because something needed to be done. All heroes. 

IMG_4912.thumb.jpeg.b7964269ebb9177c6911216454ef1664.jpeg

FWIW, hardly any news or notes commemorating the first attack on our shores except on X.

• Sad 1

When your work needs a quick shipment of 375 miles and you tell them you can save them $7k plus by driving it

IMG_3887.thumb.jpeg.96ee632b09fcf7d7e68d7a6163a7c2cc.jpeg

And you have an exit plan for the return trip

• Like 4
6 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Getting paid to ride, nice! :yes:

The anal bean counter at my employer warned me once, "the IRS mileage reimbursement rate does NOT apply to job site travel by motorcycle." OK, got it...🙄

Meh, what he doesn't know won't hurt him.

• Thinking 1
2 minutes ago, syntorz said:

"the IRS mileage reimbursement rate does NOT apply to job site travel by motorcycle." OK, got it...🙄

How stupid is that. You’d think they’d love it people being a little more greener.  :dontknow:

• Thinking 1
12 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

If you're military strategist, how do you defend against this?

Broadband EMP and a modernized

image.thumb.jpeg.f14852c46758e8c25993276cb9546bfc.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
9 hours ago, syntorz said:

The anal bean counter at my employer warned me once, "the IRS mileage reimbursement rate does NOT apply to job site travel by motorcycle." OK, got it...🙄

Meh, what he doesn't know won't hurt him.

We us GSA rates

image.png.cfc6aaf3744d0e14c464e23cf2494f5a.png

Joe Frickin' Friday
12 hours ago, syntorz said:

According to these guys, he's right that the IRS standard mileage rate (for income tax deductions related to self-employment) isn't applicable to motorcycles.  But:

• Taxpayers who use a motorcycle for business purposes can deduct  their actual motorcycle costs, including depreciation on the bike and on your riding gear.  Depending on what you ride/wear, your deduction could end up being considerably more than the standard car rate.
  • The IRS mileage rate for tax deduction purposes is a separate issue from the actual mileage reimbursement rates that employers may offer to employees who use personal vehicles for business trips.  While the federal government does use those rates for actual imbursement, private employers can offer whatever they want (including nothing at all).  If an employee feels they're not offering enough, they don't have to offer up their personal car or bike for business use.
  • Thinking 1