IGNORED

Cars..

roadscholar

Hosstage

What could go wrong? At least there's two guys in the world that can work on it.

We've come a long way from the old 3 speed tree shifter.

Dennis Andress

Porsche’s existing PDK has been around for quite awhile. It’s covered under the normal 10 year, 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. It’s not uncommon for Porsche to replace a tranny in an older car. And, there’s information on the web about how to fix internal problems and source parts.

Porsche is also not known to use its customers as beta testers. Even so, I’d give this a couple of years to mature.

• Like 1
John Ranalletta
6 minutes ago, Dennis Andress said:

Porsche’s existing PDK has been around for quite awhile. It’s covered under the normal 10 year, 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. It’s not uncommon for Porsche to replace a tranny in an older car. And, there’s information on the web about how to fix internal problems and source parts.

Porsche is also not known to use its customers as beta testers. Even so, I’d give this a couple of years to mature.

No question and this isn't about Porsche but the tech that's invading cars today.  Imagine the cost to repair/replace a 30" touch sensitive instrument panel.  I'm enjoying my 20 y/o Element more each day.  I think I'll buy another when this one goes to my son.

Rougarou
5 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

No question and this isn't about Porsche but the tech that's invading cars today.  Imagine the cost to repair/replace a 30" touch sensitive instrument panel.  I'm enjoying my 20 y/o Element more each day.  I think I'll buy another when this one goes to my son.

I had to replace the touch screen in the wife's GMC,...it went "ghosty".  Vehicle is only a 2018.  Anyway, it was a simple, simple procedure and the screen itself was cheep........'cause it's made in Chiner. The swap took roughly 30 minutes.  It did give me an excuse to finally buy the interior take apart tools rather than my typical pull until it comes off way.

But, to your point, GMC woulda charged quite a bit of eggs to get that taken care of, as well as time.  As these vehicles get more and more "advanced", they show to be less and less DIY'er.  

We need the time when all you needed to repair a vehicle was a couple of screwdrivers, lock pliers, adjustable wrench and hammer (the most important).

Skywagon

Roug....do you remember where you sourced your screen...Mine still works but every once in a while it does some squirrelly things.  

Rougarou
15 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Roug....do you remember where you sourced your screen...Mine still works but every once in a while it does some squirrelly things.  

There's two routes you can go.  Replace the entire screen assembly (which I did) or just the digitizer.  I did the entire screen as doing the digitizer (cheeper) would require a wee bit more of taking apart the ensemble,.....and I'm lazy like that.

I got the screen I used from Amazon.

71kWgve0D+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Rougarou
3 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Thanks… will order one. Just a matter of time. 

It's so easy to do, even a CPA can do this and even after they make CFO:18:

• Like 1
Hosstage

Supercar Saturday

For you Porsche guys:

IMG_20240518_083302882_HDR.thumb.jpg.c3b3d2258f66ad4a56429c8d8d4939ca.jpg

For everybody else:

IMG_20240518_084738013_HDR.thumb.jpg.45888886b00d27556e8de44c27ee3d8e.jpg

• Like 2
Rougarou

Outta all that the el camino would be my choice

roadscholar
2 hours ago, Hosstage said:

For you Porsche guys:

IMG_20240518_083302882_HDR.thumb.jpg.c3b3d2258f66ad4a56429c8d8d4939ca.jpg

It's a late '73.5 911T with CIS fuel injection in a rare color combination, looks to be very original down to the correct tire brand. Probably easily into 6 figures, I'd take it over all that other crap, I mean stuff, put together. Except maybe the blue GT3 hiding in the background but even then, close.  :)

• Like 3
roadscholar
58 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

IMG_20240518_083201214_HDR.thumb.jpg.a8bd29337835b43594b1584568877263.jpg

Ah GT4, was hard to tell from the angle, makes it a bit tougher : )

• Like 2

Oh I want to, believe me. :19: 
I don’t know why I’m making this into the BIGGEST decision of my life.. I’ve made many “more substantial” ones over the years. :dontknow:

IMG_0766.jpeg

• Like 1

The cars I’ve looked at so far. I don’t know when but some day I’m gonna “get a clue”. :classic_biggrin:

2007 Cayman base a couple years ago. Too slow on the draw. $27K

image.thumb.jpeg.c72c4d098e79aafdb58efeee3fa0bb62.jpeg

2014 Boxster S. Paint damage on all four corners. Only on plastic but still 2K to fix properly. Offered $35K owner wanted $39K.

image.thumb.jpeg.dffe3b104a7c8e8cebe8a0fc7cdadeeb.jpeg

2016 Cayman S. Dealership price of $59K, out! 
image.thumb.jpeg.262d56637060303f2c474a9d81676dea.jpeg

2013 Boxster Base. $35K. Sketchy past ownership history. 
image.thumb.jpeg.afae78f0a08e71580c84315b9c14ad6a.jpeg

• Like 1

Continued

2015 Cayman Base. $40.5K. All maintenance was owner performed. I saw a couple things that gave me pause. 
IMG_4839.thumb.jpeg.46416c80c1233d7df28c9c8f39db8cc1.jpeg

And today… 2016 Cayman base. It started life as a lease car (two years) second owner had it for 4 years and third owner for about a year. 
Offered $37K, he has two more people coming over the weekend. It will probably sell.

IMG_5190.thumb.jpeg.c38ec079fe059e0d7efc5be36333ed74.jpegIMG_5191.thumb.jpeg.a88bb7c1638b788e616e9f7fba9d4ec9.jpeg

syntorz

20240523_131026.thumb.jpg.6ecf28a256607400ce9e26ced1d1e024.jpg

Lotsa Deutsche Maschinen at todays Road America track day.

• Like 3
roadscholar
4 hours ago, TEWKS said:

2007 Cayman base a couple years ago. Too slow on the draw. $27K

The good ones don't hang around long, timing is everything.

4 hours ago, TEWKS said:

2014 Boxster S. Paint damage on all four corners. Only on plastic but still 2K to fix properly. Offered $35K owner wanted $39K.

Low mileage isn't always indicative of a really nice car, I prefer well cared for stuff with some (medium) miles and save 5-10k.

4 hours ago, TEWKS said:

2016 Cayman S. Dealership price of $59K, out! 

Looks familiar but there's a lot of black/black Cayman's out there.

4 hours ago, TEWKS said:

2013 Boxster Base. $35K. Sketchy past ownership history. 

You might not like this one : ) for me black wheels are a no-go, usually says something about the owner, immature or badass wannabe, which are likely the same thing.

4 hours ago, TEWKS said:

2015 Cayman Base. $40.5K. All maintenance was owner performed. I saw a couple things that gave me pause. 

Kinda like that one, good color easy to keep clean, seems high but don't know the miles or what the issues were.

4 hours ago, TEWKS said:

And today… 2016 Cayman base. It started life as a lease car (two years) second owner had it for 4 years and third owner for about a year. 
Offered $37K, he has two more people coming over the weekend. It will probably sell.

Patience, you never know, I'd wait and see, strange things can happen. 

• Thanks 1
9Mary7
1 hour ago, roadscholar said:

for me black wheels are a no-go, usually says something about the owner, immature or badass wannabe, which are likely the same thing.

+1:java:

38 minutes ago, Dennis Andress said:

This one is back, and with a lower price…

Unless they’re hiding something that looks like a great deal, especially it being an S. :thumbsup:

roadscholar

IMG_1478.jpeg

00i0i_iRdFAibiBza_1320MM_600x450.jpg

See the little tag hanging from the key, tells me it's probably a dealer (plus a couple other photos of it in a showroom). High end used car dealers have a lot invested in inventory, some cars are owned but many are on a floorplan with interest due every month they hate paying, but each dealer is different. There can be big profit margins on Pcars, Ferrari's, muscle, and semi-collectibles, but they can sometimes be willing to move inventory depending on several factors, how long they've had it, does it have issues, is it depreciating at an uncomfortable rate. Keep in mind most of their inventory was bought at wholesale auction which means another dealer didn't want it anymore for whatever reason(s), but not all of them bad.. 

Inventory is controlled by the sales manager, the sales manager answers to the general manager who answers to the owner(s), they all want to make money but also keep their jobs. In a normal used car operation 30-60-90 days is the general rule, after 90 it's usually dead meat and gets shipped off to auction. High line dealers can and will hang on longer sometimes depending on the market, local clientele, or what they have in it. The trick is to get past the salesman to the used car manager (can eliminate $$ but often the mgr will hand it off to a weaker salesman for a lower commission) and find out how long they've had it, let 'em know you're serious w/cash but are looking for a bargain and can wait for the right deal, or better yet become his buddy, take him to dinner or out drinking or tickets to a Red Sox/Celtics game : ) I know it sounds like a hassle and it is but that's how the car biz works. At the end of the month (the right one) a dealer will sell something for a G profit or less and move on rather than take his chances at auction, just watch out for those fees at the last minute, they can add up significantly (it's pure profit BS and negotiable too). My guess is they've got around 30k in that one but just speculating, or if it's a dealer at all altho appears to be.

• Like 1
Dennis Andress
44 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

See the little tag hanging from the key,

Not a tag from a dealer. Besides, the Scottsdale dealer would add 40K to that price. Pat, I could make the drive to Scottsdale, if you're serious.

image.png

• Thanks 1
roadscholar
53 minutes ago, Dennis Andress said:

Not a tag from a dealer.

Was hard to tell, it does look different than ones I've seen around here, I'd been wanting to expand on how dealers operate anyway so if/when the time comes Pat has a decent idea what's going on.

• Like 1

Appreciate that Dennis, I’m probably not serious enough to do a fly and drive but again, thanks! :thumbsup: Made the offer on that Cayman today and I’m feeling pretty neutral on the outcome. Loved the car for sure but I kind of like having the freedom of choice right now, IYKWIM. 

Dennis Andress
1 hour ago, roadscholar said:

Was hard to tell, it does look different than ones I've seen around here, I'd been wanting to expand on how dealers operate anyway so if/when the time comes Pat has a decent idea what's going on.

That was interesting. I knew some of it, but not enough to connect the pieces. Thanks.

• Like 1
roadscholar

Dragon paving update from Killboy with a little Pcar content. If it's anything like when 215 got repaved should be excellent but this is Tennessee not NC so we'll see.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Rougarou

Are those black wheels?:grin: 'cause they sure appear to be black

roadscholar
4 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Are those black wheels?:grin: 'cause they sure appear to be black

Can’t get anything past you can we : )

Rougarou
3 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

Can’t get anything past you can we : )

I's always taught to pay attention to detail:grin:

• Like 1
  • Smile 1

That car is newer than a 2016 which makes it a 718. The 718’s have the unloved four cylinder turbo (which I’m sure is fine) but that sounded like the naturally aspirated six cylinder so it must be a GTS Cayman. The Porsche academy taught me that. 👨🏻‍🎓

It’s probably a 4 banger turbo. :classic_blush: :facepalm:

roadscholar

It’s a 4 cylinder, you can tell by the low pitch exhaust note. I like it because it reminds me of a 968, hopped up 356, or modern day 904 which is kinda what it is. I’d certainly take it if the right one came along but it’s hard to pass on the intoxicating wail of a flat six too, tough choice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Dennis Andress

On Killboy's website they show the unboxing of their Emmy award. Yes, a couple of car nuts won an Emmy for making a video about other car nuts.

• Like 3
  • Smile 1
roadscholar
3 hours ago, roadscholar said:

or modern day 904 which is kinda what it is

In 1964 Porsche built about 100 904's, a mid engine 2L coupe that weighed 1450 lbs, produced around 200 hp in it's last iteration from a flat air-cooled four with dual overhead gear driven cams and big 44 mm Weber Carburetors, it could hold it's own against 12 cylinder Ferrari's and Mustang GT350's. It's the spiritual predecessor of the 718 Cayman, today it would take 10 or 15 Cayman GT4's to get your hands on one. 

8dd6642130932fd9470b931d76e5718a--auto-engine-porsche-.jpg

The body was fiberglass molded onto an extruded frame made at the old Heinkel bomber factory.

56e4f9b522973af9401fdf63889f3b9a.jpg

• Like 4

Figured I was going to get that wrong. (too much confidence) :) I didn’t know about their four cylinder history. They should have used it to tie the past to the future. That seems to sell.

9Mary7

Nothing wrong with 4 cyl air cooled P-cars....I've had two of them.:thumbsup:

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, 9Mary7 said:

Nothing wrong with 4 cyl air cooled P-cars....I've had two of them.:thumbsup:

Pictures or…. :spittake:

• Haha 2
9Mary7

That was before camera phones, as well as a divorce so a whole lotta stuff I'll never find includes any pics....:ohboy:

• Sad 1

I get it. Back in 87 I took flying lessons (talked about it many times) but I don’t have a single picture of that part of my life. One snap when I soloed, it was hung up on the wall with the other students. The airport was sold and the building torn down to make way for a golf course. In it was my one and only picture. :(

Honestly, I think I had a superstition about staying “forever young” if I got snap happy during lessons. :dontknow: :)

• Smile 1
roadscholar
1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

🤑

Is right, risky business on two fronts, Barret-Jackson hype/BS and buying a used a 928. Great driving cars if you like muscle mixed with sophistication but fairly complex and not many still around competent to work on them. I guess a strong DIY'er could manage most jobs but it's not a car you want to get a bargain on. Go for a pampered one and pay the money, the newer the better.

• Like 3
Dennis Andress
5 hours ago, roadscholar said:

but fairly complex….  

….Go for a pampered one and pay the money, the newer the better.

I was 20 the first time I opened a C5 electrical schematic on my own. 

Owning a 928 is a wild hair from a time when I was doing 747 heavy checks. Things like removing and reinstalling main circuit breaker panels. I’m not sure if I want to get into something that deep again. 

image.png

• Like 3
  • Smile 1
roadscholar
1 hour ago, Dennis Andress said:

I was 20 the first time I opened a C5 electrical schematic on my own. 

Owning a 928 is a wild hair from a time when I was doing 747 heavy checks. Things like removing and reinstalling main circuit breaker panels. I’m not sure if I want to get into something that deep again. 

image.png

Sounds like you're qualified, I doubt they're that complicated but they sure aren't for beginners. Check out some youtube videos (I haven't but have owned a couple) may be something you'd like. There's a guy on Advrider in the Porsche Thread (an encyclopedia of combined knowledge) that likes and restores 928's and does some beautiful work, I'll try to find his name/handle, his avatar is a P-51 : )

By comparison old 911's are simple and like an erector set for adults (or a beetle on steroids), saw this a little while ago and was going to post it anyway so you guys can see what a motor looks like apart, not the prettiest one but you get the idea.

img_5060-87778.jpeg?fit=2048%2C1536

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/engine-project/?utm_source=dm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2024-05-26

• Like 1