IGNORED

Cars..

roadscholar

1 hour ago, RandyShields said:

I had a feeling this would happen.  

I'm surprised it took them so long........

• Like 2

I’d bet the cheapest day of owning that SUV would be the day of purchase. :read: :classic_biggrin:

roadscholar

Never know, probably a crap shoot could go either way. Not the kind of car you want to buy w/o checking it over pretty good and it’s in Ohio so not too convenient. Probably end up around 45-55. which would be a decent deal for someone if it didn’t become a money pit. Either way you’d want a competent indy shop familiar with em.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
Rougarou

From the outer looks of it, seems to be stored out doors for quite some time.  Could be an estate issue.  Interior doesn't look too beat up and mileage is 5200 per year.  I'm leaning on some gray haired guy that had it, keeled over, family didn't want it and donated.

Perfect, no, show car, no, runnable quite possible.  Even the plastic headlight covers don't look all yucked up.

A guy at work had a beautiful Kawasaki Z bike.  Wife didn't want him riding, he gave in.  Bike didn't sell on the market, so he donated the bike.  He watched the auction and heart dropped as the bike went for nearly nothing.  Minimal miles, gorgeous condition.  If I'da known the damn thing was at auction I'da bought it.

KTM Doug

Bill, Look what followed me home last week. One more time before I get tooooo old.

IMG_0148.jpg

• Like 5
Hosstage

Ugly? That thing is so cute! Better looking than the Tesla truck in my damaged opinion.

Versatile too, going from truck to station wagon. Plus, 500 horsepower.

• Like 2
John Ranalletta
On 6/13/2024 at 7:38 AM, 9Mary7 said:

I'm surprised it took them so long........

Just read Hyundai Eunuch (Ionic) 5 battery replacement = $60k. Minor damage means write off of entire vehicle. 

IMO, excessive insured losses due to battery damage should be borne by EV/Hybrid owners and not ICE owners.  

Hosstage
9 hours ago, roadscholar said:

4 1/2 hours of safety car laps in the middle of the night due to rain was a little bit of a letdown, but still a good race, plenty of action throughout the 24 hours.

roadscholar

Somebody said the safety car was deployed so much it had to pit for fuel : )

Congrats to Ferrari, they were fast, reliable, and the drivers (mostly) stayed out of trouble, and a repeat at that. Poor Toyota, money can’t buy happiness, again.

RandyShields
23 hours ago, roadscholar said:

Recap.

Gorgeous machines, high tech interiors, and spectacular crashes.  Luckily, no one hurt.  Seeing all the Ferrari team in red at the end, and fielding several cars, I can't imagine how much money goes into one of those efforts.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1
roadscholar
5 hours ago, RandyShields said:

I can't imagine how much money goes into one of those efforts.  Thanks for sharing.

Ferrari, Porsche, and BMW build their racecars in-house because they have designers, engineers, and craftsmen with the expertise to do it. So does Renault but they have a separate racing arm (Alpine) that builds and runs their Formula 1 cars/operation. They all get lucrative sponsorship deals to help foot the bill and in Porsche's case a partnership with Penske which benefits both. Toyota and other manufacturers farm their race cars out to independent contractors and write checks, very big ones.

• Like 3
roadscholar

Moving from the NEBDR planning thread where I mentioned a Ferrari 312P was dropped off at a shop that had restored my old 908. Doing a little digging turned up this article on those cars and described a couple of racing seasons then. Unless you're a buff of sportscar racing from the 60's/70's it probably won't hold much interest but what it does show is the attrition rate was much higher and how far cars have come since then. Reliability wasn't taken for granted like today as 24 Hours has basically become a sprint race and 10-15 cars can finish on the lead lap with the top 3 or 4 often within seconds. I remember in the 80’s Daytona 24 and Sebring 12 Hours would start about 85 cars and usually only about 30-35 were still running at the end and some of those were limping around wounded.just to get credit as a finisher.

Berlinetta in Ferrari-speak means coupe, below is the one and only 312P Berlinetta, this is it’s story.

art-mg-ferrari312p10.jpg

art-mg-ferrari312p6.jpg

https://supercarnostalgia.com/blog/ferrari-312-p

• Like 1
wbw6cos

Well maintained, to be sure!   Awesome!   I sort of thought shops try to pull the wool over a ladie's eyes, but not her!  You go lady!!

• Plus 1 1

She doesn’t “TRUST” them (think Bill said the same thing) stand and watch or leave with her business is how she operates. Maybe I should do the same thing and then my oil might actually :classic_angry: get changed. 

• Haha 1
John Ranalletta

Oh, good.  Bugatti buyers were asking for something with a little more range.

image.thumb.png.165322575705fb9e1ae8a44b4c1e95c2.png

syntorz
5 hours ago, syntorz said:

I was 'meh' until the instrument cluster specs...🙄

Speaking of 'meh', that'd probably be most people's response seeing one of these 70's Holiday 88 Oldsmobiles.

Saw this one out in the wild today and u-turned to go talk with the owner. This (in a different color) was my first real car, bought with my hard earned real money at my first real job. Lotsa memories there of carefree times just cruising the car scene, chasing girls and drinking too much cheap beer.

I'd love to find one like this and do an LS motor swap with 5 spd manual trans and some handling mods.

20240621_132929.jpg

• Like 3

Nice and nostalgic but, the grass is way greener in your Mach 1. :cool:

• Thanks 1
Hosstage

Rust ate all of those square sedans around here. Ate all the Ford Grenadas too, which is just fine.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

Does anyone know what having a car PPld means? It’s a Porsche if that helps. :dontknow:

edit

I don’t know if it’s just me (probably) but I’ve been searching PPId for two days now and the minute I publicly ask the question, the answer appears in front of my eyes. Like magic, so strange. 

Porsche Pre-purchase Inspection. :dopeslap:

syntorz
16 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

Ate all the Ford Grenadas too, which is just fine.

Funny you say that. The Grenada's cousin, the Fairmont, wasn't much better. Haven't seen one in decades, but just in the last week I've seen three; one as someone's daily and two hot rodded.

image.png

• Smile 1
Hosstage

Man, there is nothing appealing about that car!

My buddy's dad had the trifecta, the Grenada, the Fairmont, the Futura, all stuffed in his overgrown backyard, rusted into the dirt. The only one missing was the Mercury Monarch.

• Haha 1
realshelby
On 6/15/2024 at 12:28 PM, KTM Doug said:

Bill, Look what followed me home last week. One more time before I get tooooo old.

IMG_0148.jpg

Congratulations on your new Stang! And congratulations for posting something that isn't a Porsche above all!

• Thanks 1
Rougarou
9 hours ago, syntorz said:

Funny you say that. The Grenada's cousin, the Fairmont, wasn't much better. Haven't seen one in decades, but just in the last week I've seen three; one as someone's daily and two hot rodded.

image.png

Brother had a '79 Farimont with a tree oh too.  I liked it.  My other brother had a '79-78ish tunderbird,.....looooong front end, dug that too.  There was a '80 Dodge Mirada in the mix somewhere as well, nice car.

6 hours ago, roadscholar said:

[IMG]

One of my brothers had a Dodge pickup.  One day, he was transporting little brother who was five or four at the time, took a turn and looked over, passenger door wide open, little brother hanging on for dear life.  Nah, it was a time of no seat belts and not car seats for kids,.....those were the days

• Like 2
Dennis Andress
10 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Does anyone know what having a car PPld means? It’s a Porsche if that helps. :dontknow:

edit

I don’t know if it’s just me (probably) but I’ve been searching PPId for two days now and the minute I publicly ask the question, the answer appears in front of my eyes. Like magic, so strange. 

Porsche Pre-purchase Inspection. :dopeslap:

PPI == Pre Purchase Inspection. 

roadscholar
38 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

One of my brothers had a Dodge pickup.  One day, he was transporting little brother who was five or four at the time, took a turn and looked over, passenger door wide open, little brother hanging on for dear life.  Nah, it was a time of no seat belts and not car seats for kids,.....those were the days 

And therein lies the difference between kids then and kids today, we did stuff like that and lived, mostly. Life training : )

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
81delorean
36 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Brother had a '79 Farimont with a tree oh too.  I liked it.  My other brother had a '79-78ish tunderbird,.....looooong front end, dug that too.  There was a '80 Dodge Mirada in the mix somewhere as well, nice car.

I just turned 50yo and it seems the older I get the more I like the cars from the late 70s-80s. I would love to have the '86 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z I had when I was 17yo, the mid 80's trans ams and Z28 is still one of my favorite body styles ever. Were any of them great cars? nope. My friend had a '77 or '78 T-bird, huge car but you could just glide along in comfort all day. 

roadscholar
8 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Sold at $5k

I think someone predicted that’s what it would go for, bout a week ago when it was at $1000. :java:

• Thinking 1
Hosstage

I long for the floating ride of the big cars from days past. Sure, they don't handle great, wallow like an actual boat thru the curves, but so comfortable going down the road. Expansion strips on the road didn't upset those cars. Now it seems every one of those strips "thwaps" thru stiff sidewall tires into the cabin of modern cars.

I'm not one of those to say cars of old were way better than today. But some were way cooler.

A giant '75 Caddy Eldo convertible? Yes please. Sorry about taking up 4 parking spots in the parking lot.

roadscholar

Early 80's I bought a late 70's Chevy mid-size wagon (forget the name but it was still huge) wholesale from a salesman at the Chevy dealer, it drove great and was handy for carrying around racing wheels/tires and parts. So good that throughout the 80's and 90's a buddy and I had a string of full size GM wagons (with the faux wood on the sides) we used to haul our race cars and tools/spares all over the East. They came with a 305 which was pretty anemic but enough to pull 3k lbs. in good old American AC comfort. The best part was at $7-$800. they were completely disposable although had surprising longevity and bulletproof reliability, definitely a win-win. One time I made the mistake of buying one with the 265 V8 (sleeved 305), it was so weak it almost wouldn't make it up a curvy fairly steep grade in NC pulling a 1k race car on a 600lb aluminum trailer, wide open it would only do 10mph, I was praying it made it because there wasn't going to be any backing down : )

1985-chevy-caprice-estate-wagon-1.jpg

• Like 1
roadscholar
24 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Country squire😉

No Fords here, Caprice Classic Estate Wagon : )

• Plus 1 1
  • Sad 1
Hosstage

Mom loved the big wagons. I got one of them for my first car, a big Ford Ranch Wagon with the 390.

She had a '75 Buick Estate Wagon, biggest damn thing ever, and we had a lot of wagons to compare it. When she died, we got her '81 Olds wagon (similar to the Chevy pictured above). My daughter drove that one in high school, she called it The Queen Mary. Biggest car of all her friends, naturally, put about 15 kids in there and go party. Sometimes she'd pop the hood open, stick a pen in the carburator to hold the choke open to get it to start. Her girlfriends were in awe.

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
Dennis Andress

So, this is an on and off again relationship. It craves attention. I can ignore it for a couple of days and think nothing of it. But, I giggle for hours after driving it.

BWW_DSC5026.jpg

I came across this today. 2018 Motus MST R.  Ohlins front and rear, carbon fiber wheels, extra horsepower, still no ABS. Priced under $20K

image.png

Knowing that you're buying from the good batch of heads seems to be critical knowledge...

image.png

• Like 2
Dennis Andress

I don't need another bike, and it seems Motus' engine builder made a lot of crap, but I do want to park the little red thing in the corner of the garage where the K13 has been stashed. The K just got new tires, plugs, and four valves adjusted. It feels ready to prove its worth against the 911.  Automobile detox here I go!

image.jpeg

Hosstage

That Motus had a great motor design, I didn't know it had quality issues. And probably a price tag too high to make it a success as an unknown machine.

Dennis Andress

They sold for over 30k, in a time when the dollar bought more. 

Their later batch of engine pieces had misaligned valve guides and cylinder heartaches.  I’d still like to have one…

Rougarou

The K bike is a better/sleeker looking bike

• Plus 1 1
Dennis Andress
3 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

The K bike is a better/sleeker looking bike

True. And this one is of the last production run. It’s pretty smooth.  

• Like 1