IGNORED

Has Anyone Ordered From Chromeburner?

Bumwah

I'm in need of a new helmet and found a website that has premium helmets at discounted prices.

I have never heard of them AND they are in The Netherlands... Normally a red flag but, their prices and reviews are spectacular...

Whatza Biker to do? Anyone know these people? 

Hello,

My best riding buddy bought two fantastic Shark helmets from them over the past year.  Items themselves  were legit and prompt, issue-free shipping to the US.  HTH.

spacewrench

I think I read recently that somebody bought a cheap name-brand helmet, then had a problem with the visor or something.  Apparently, although it was a new helmet, the manufacturing date was a few years ago.  The manufacturer claimed that the warranty runs from date of manufacture rather than date of sale (so, apparently, helmets get stale sitting on the shelf).

I probably wouldn't worry about it myself, but it's something to have in the back of your mind as a possible reason for especially good pricing.

The website says their helmets don't carry DOT approval. If you live/ride in states with mandatory helmet laws this may be of concern to you.

I figure it's the same helmet you could buy here in the United States, except the one from Chromeburner doesn't come with a DOT sticker on it. I personally don't know anything more about it, but when I went to the website to look at their helmets and I saw that disclaimer at the top of the page it caught my attention. Just saying it might be something you want to investigate further.

the only other thing to consider is international shipping cost which would include any duties and customs and handling fees.  Not sure what if any applies coming from The Netheralands and I am sure they can provide that detail at the time you place the order.

spacewrench

Helmet manufacturers have to pay to put those stickers on, so it makes sense that they wouldn't have a DOT sticker on an EU helmet.  I have a Scorpion EXO-GT920, which is ECE in Europe, but mine only has the DOT sticker (I bought it in the US).

1 hour ago, Bumwah said:

What if the helmet is a Schuberth C4 Pro? Won't it be DOT approved?

A C4 Pro helmet from the Netherlands will have ECE approval, but not DOT.  Also, Schuberth North America will be of no help with any warranty issues - be prepared to pay shipping costs back to Europe.

Thanx for all the input... Roger is right. No DOT sticker. Not Approved For USA... Different testing standards.

And now I know IT AIN"T A BARGAIN!!! 

Thanx Again...

The standards thing can be tricky and in many cases are simply used as a non-tarriff  barrier to free trade which sidesteps a challenge at the WTO. All countries use "its a safety thing" barriers to protect sectors of their economy. Pharmaceuticals and Beef are big NTBs for the US.  I would suspect in the case of helmets the EU compliant helmets are equivalent to US DOT helmets for protection and shouldn't be a big worry unless you are mandated to use a DOT sticker helmet in your state. Then you need that sticker.

The warranty piece is a real deal and applies to any of the grey market products we might buy, and could even include DOT approved US purchased helmets being sold by a non authorized dealer.  You would have to read the helmet makers legalese to know the warranty limitations that manufacturer applies on how their product is sourced.

Putting aside safety stickers and warranties, I have typically found that currency conversion fees by your credit card company, International shipping, duties, and other customs fees add up quick and make that bargain not so significant.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Paul De said:

I would suspect in the case of helmets the EU compliant helmets are equivalent to US DOT helmets for protection and shouldn't be a big worry

I hope so! I value my English head equally as much as a dear American bonce!

17 minutes ago, AndyS said:

I hope so! I value my English head equally as much as a dear American bonce!

Morning Andy

Actually having an ECE rating, in most cases, is better than having (only) a U.S. DOT rating as the ECE test is a more stringent more up-to-date testing requirement, but more importantly, IT IS ACTUALLY TESTED, the DOT required testing is usually left up to the individual  helmet manufactures.

ECE is pretty well accepted  by most racing associations in the US  & is well accepted in Canada.  

• Like 1
8 hours ago, dirtrider said:

DOT required testing is usually left up to the individual  helmet manufactures.

Good point, we see how well the FFA deferring to Boeing certifying the 737-Max worked out. 

I always considered DOT the lowest bar certification.  I had always preferred the Snell Foundation rating to DOT Snell focused on energy dissipation where DOT was focused puncture resistance. I am not too familiar with ECE certification standards, but it does not surprise me one bit if it exceeds DOT.

I bought from them once.  Everything worked great.  About a week longer for delivery than we are accustomed here in the USA.  No duty or taxes.  I forget what I bought from them.  I also bought my C3 Pro from some outfit in Italy.  Same story: great service, no hassles.  In business, all markets are local.  You call the Apple toll-free phone number to buy a custom-configured laptop computer, you speak to a person in China, who speaks perfect English and actually understands your technical requirements, and they build your computer and deliver it to your door in Colorado in 2 days. 

Just checked: Chromeburner has basic colors of Schuberth C4 Pro for $519 no tax, free shipping cost.  By comparison, my favorite gear store in the USA, Revzilla, has that helmet for $699.  My 5-year old C3 Pro has never needed warranty work...  I think I would feel pretty confident in the product quality and risk buying the helmet and save $180.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Yes I have their helmets are undersized 

and it £50 to return from Uk.

if you buy from Uk it’s a lottery whether the Helmet will fit I ordered large I worn large for 20years their large is too small for my wife and she is a medium 

don’t waste your money go in a shop and try or buy from Uk cheaper to return 

szurszewski
1 hour ago, Dennis69 said:

Yes I have their helmets are undersized 

and it £50 to return from Uk.

if you buy from Uk it’s a lottery whether the Helmet will fit I ordered large I worn large for 20years their large is too small for my wife and she is a medium 

don’t waste your money go in a shop and try or buy from Uk cheaper to return 

1 hour ago, Dennis69 said:

You have been warned 

If you’re having a problem with this place that is lame - sorry to hear it. 

Did you join the forum just to post about this? (You joined just now and have a total post count of two.)

I purchased a Shoei modular helmet a couple years ago. I saw the IK prices were about 25% cheaper then the US prices. But as others have noted, the don't come with DOT stickers. That didn't bother me much but I wondered what an insurance company might do if I got in an accident and I wasn't wearing a DOT helmet. In the end I just purchased a DOT-vertified version from Cyclegear. 

You can purchase a DOT sticker from eBay but on the Shoei, it was under the clear coat. Just sayin'. 

best

Miguel